Zelda: Masterpiece Edition [NES] Improvement Mod | ~95% done, looking for help

Started by sigmaecho, September 13, 2018, 12:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfantendo

Sigmaecho: This is looking great. If you haven't already, feel free to leverage: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1295/

The one not-obvious change I made there that I would love to see carried forward into your hack is the re-coloring of some dungeons.
Many the dungeons have been re-colored so that each has its own color scheme (rather than have 2 gold dungeons, 2 grey ones, etc.). For example: Level 8 (The Forest Dungeon) is now green while Level 5 (The Mountain Dungeon) is brown. Level 2 (The Moon Dungeon) is purple(?).

I also made this change which I thought made sense at the time but I realize the choice between series continuity and preservation of the original is a matter of taste.
A few text changes have been made to the title to make the items match most Zelda continuity (for example: Red Ring is now Red Tunic, Magical Sword is now Master Sword, etc.) No in-game text has been changed.

lexluthermiester

Quote from: DannyPlaysSomeGames on February 07, 2019, 05:06:16 PMYou know, this looks really nice, and a good way to pump some fresh blood into Zelda 1. I dig it.
Agreed. Seems to be on hold though.

PowerPanda

I will also say that this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to it.

One piece of advice though. Your new graphics rely heavily on dithering for shading. The only games I've seen use this shading technique are the... well... the bad ones. Nintendo never used dithering in any of their games on the NES or Gameboy. The other old-school greats (Megaman, Castlevania, etc.) also avoided dithering. I think your hack would look a lot better if you steered away from that technique too. I'll try to doctor up a screenshot later today as an example.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I mean. It's not the best sprite-work, but it should be enough to illustrate the point.

Grego

Awesome mod, looks amazing, to think Zelda could have looked this good on nes at release.
UltraNet SNES Network Adapter: https://twitch.tv/ultranetsnes
F-Zero Final v0.2 Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzmOP23_F6A
F-Zero Final Github: https://github.com/originalgrego/FZeroFinal

#

Quote from: PowerPanda on April 23, 2019, 09:59:07 AM
I will also say that this is a great idea, and I'm looking forward to it.

One piece of advice though. Your new graphics rely heavily on dithering for shading. The only games I've seen use this shading technique are the... well... the bad ones. Nintendo never used dithering in any of their games on the NES or Gameboy. The other old-school greats (Megaman, Castlevania, etc.) also avoided dithering. I think your hack would look a lot better if you steered away from that technique too. I'll try to doctor up a screenshot later today as an example.

EDIT: Here's an example of what I mean. It's not the best sprite-work, but it should be enough to illustrate the point.

Those rocks in the middle also had shadows in the original. Now they look like floating rocks which might move or attack (as Link and the enemies don't have clear shadows either).

PowerPanda

Quote from: # on April 23, 2019, 03:19:36 PM
Those rocks in the middle also had shadows in the original. Now they look like floating rocks which might move or attack (as Link and the enemies don't have clear shadows either).

I think the player would quickly adjust to it, as the rocks aren't moving. I tried to keep NES palette limitations factored into my suggestion. The rocks and the walls share the same palette, so removing black for one removes black for both.

pleasejust

lexluthermiester

Quote from: pleasejust on April 28, 2019, 05:20:29 PM
What's the difference between this and Modern Classic Edition?
I like MCE, but this takes things to the next level. :thumbsup: Looking forward to the final patch!

illuminerdi

Was this ever released or is it still in progress - I don't see any download links for it anywhere? It looks amazing and I'm definitely excited to get my hands on it!

Thanks  :)

lexluthermiester

Quote from: illuminerdi on May 16, 2019, 11:23:26 AM
Was this ever released or is it still in progress - I don't see any download links for it anywhere? It looks amazing and I'm definitely excited to get my hands on it!

Still in progress. I think the author is dealing with things ILR, but he'll be back.

Rewind

If you need someone to help do a swordless run, I've played the game multiple times swordless (and then getting stuck against gannon), and although difficult, it is possible to get to the final boss.  I could definitely help test to make sure that the game is possible swordless and that your code works. :)

lexluthermiester

Check the Tumblr blog link in the OP. It's had updates and even video's showing play-throughs.

Quote from: Rewind on November 05, 2019, 10:45:27 AM
If you need someone to help do a swordless run, I've played the game multiple times swordless (and then getting stuck against gannon), and although difficult, it is possible to get to the final boss.  I could definitely help test to make sure that the game is possible swordless and that your code works. :)
I would be happy to help with testing as well!

lexluthermiester

He's still working on it, a Play as Zelda version as well as a third quest version.

CountBuggula

I remember looking forward to this hack - shame it's been stalled for so long.  It'd be nice if even just the graphics assets could be released to use as an optional hack in Redux.

nek10

sigmaecho

Sorry for the long delay, but I wanted to chime in and reaffirm that yes I am still working on this hack and yes I will definitely finish it at some point. Sorry again for the long wait, but I can only work on this in my spare time. With the release of the Redux hack, I should have no problem finishing this hack as soon as I find some time to work on it. Stay Tuned!

lexluthermiester

That's good to here! What kind of progress have you made? Sorry for the late response, notifications for some reason didn't get to me.