News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

What is the worst RPG you have ever played?

Started by Spooniest, November 29, 2019, 01:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xeronut

Quote from: Badseed on March 01, 2020, 04:34:59 PM
Two Worlds one and two were pretty bad. I mean come on let's make Oblivion clones,strip everything that was good (and even average) out of the games than ship them in an unfinished mess. Bonus points for the creepy relationship the main toon has with his sister.  I actually finished both games  :banghead: Don't ask me why

I actually bought the first Two Worlds twice:  I traded it in the first time because every time I would sit down to play it, I'd fall asleep.  I picked it up a second time preowned for $5, and slogged through it to completion only because it awarded me with 370G just by beating the last boss.  I cite Two Worlds as the title that broke me of my 100% completion compulsion;  I now only 100% games that I genuinely like.

As for bad RPGs, the one that sticks out to me the most is Beyond the Beyond for PSOne.  I disliked that game so much, it made Golden Sun on the GBA hard to play because the battle camera/system was somewhat similar.  Still beat it, though.. '96 was a lean year for PSOne RPGs if you weren't lucky enough to get Suikoden.  Quest 64 was also gutter trash, and newer Kemco RPGs are far south of mediocre.

Raylene2K7

Basicly all WRPGs. I just hate them all. Beyond the Beyond and Quest64 are gold compared to them, in my opinion.

Badseed

Quote from: Raylene2K7 on March 15, 2020, 11:24:44 AM
Basicly all WRPGs. I just hate them all. Beyond the Beyond and Quest64 are gold compared to them, in my opinion.
Exactly!! Because it is NOT a good RPG without big character heads,even bigger swords and nonsensical plots. A matter of fact lets just take all the WRPGs in the world and remake them as chibi  :o
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

xeronut

Quote from: Raylene2K7 on March 15, 2020, 11:24:44 AM

To each their own.  :)  It's a shame you never clicked with WRPGs, there are quite a few excellent ones.  Plenty of rubbish ones too, with the same copycat issues JRPGs are often accused of having, but there are standouts.  I'd like to name a few of my favorites but before I make recommendations, might I ask what your specific definition of a WRPG is?  Just to make sure we're on the same page.

tc

Quote from: xeronut on March 21, 2020, 04:06:00 AM
To each their own.  :)  It's a shame you never clicked with WRPGs, there are quite a few excellent ones.  Plenty of rubbish ones too, with the same copycat issues JRPGs are often accused of having, but there are standouts.  I'd like to name a few of my favorites but before I make recommendations, might I ask what your specific definition of a WRPG is?  Just to make sure we're on the same page.

It's very simple. The more a game resembles JRR Tolkien the worse it is.
Whether his work is good or bad is debatable, but he set a bar virtually impossible to rival.

FAST6191

Quote from: tc on March 21, 2020, 06:57:32 AM
It's very simple. The more a game resembles JRR Tolkien the worse it is.
Whether his work is good or bad is debatable, but he set a bar virtually impossible to rival.

I can't get to that.

He might have originated the modern fantasy genre for many but just about every decade has seen things I reckon surpass what he did, and every decade then surpasses the one before it. They allowed him to run wild and with it he certainly performed one of the more extensive acts of worldbuilding that we have ever seen but that does not amount to all that much from where I sit.

Though on the more glib response side of things yeah if you go in for as many plot holes, deus ex machina and soft magic as he went in for you are likely to end up with something a bit meh.

Back on topic I do find the idea of holding up Elder Scrolls as some kind of high water mark to be an interesting one, and not one I am all that inclined to +1. That said if it is going to be such a thing for a given person I can see why they would not like Two Worlds 2.

TigerBanks

1) Blood and Soul
2) BLADE and soul
That was popular in 2012-2015, first is a trash-smasher, where all the game you are just pushing buttons versus another people in arena.
And second is a trash grind-application, level first and you are already pwning lvl 15 mobs xd

PowerPlayPone

Now, there's almost no RPG I wouldn't play, but Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics is the worst affront to nature I have ever seen. The original D&D always had a sort of autosave called 'one of the players is having an IRL emergency and we'll pick this back up when they're out of that emergency' so the fact that this PSP trash heap doesn't have that is gauling.

You can't easily tell if you're going to make contact with an enemy or not because the game lives in its own little RNG mansion. I get it, D&D is a good 75% RNG because you're a slave to the almighty dice rolls that are all happening in the background. Even if you do make contact, you could get a low damage roll and the enemy can still push your shit in because their attack was a nat 20 crit.

I would say that this is the worse D&D game in existence, but D&D: Dark Alliance is definitely close to it. At this point, unless it's Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance or the MMO, everyone should be wary of the D&D logo.

MysticLord

I played so many RPGs that I forgot the worst of them years ago, but I can't find a single "remaster" that is even 80% as functional as the original games. At this point "remaster" effectively means "worst thing you've ever played" when it actually works, and of course 0/10 when it doesn't.

I'm almost at the point where I want them to stop trying to "remaster" their 20+ year old *.cpp files and make something new.

Also anything which has the deliberately awful funko-pop art style is an instant hate for me. I don't remember seeing pixels on my 13 inch black and white TV in 1997 when I first played FF6; why do you think I want to see them now? My pet theory is that a lot of indy game devs don't have the dosh to pay for actual good art and they're not good enough to do anything but NES tier pixel art (which to be fair is occasionally pretty good with the right filter), so they push "retro" styles as a cope for their own incompetence or poverty.

Another thing that really irritates me is when a game has terrible art in most things, and then something good but mismatched in a specific niche. Fell Seal is the best example;  horrible sprites, boring animations, good battlefields, and great portraits that look like they're from an different genre of game. Why couldn't they hire spriters from FFHacktics, quintuple the spritesheet and portrait sizes, and tell them to stay just far enough away from the FFT art style to avoid a lawsuit? That's all it would take, but nope we can't ever hire filthy modders for anything.

Fell Seal is very bad all around, consider it my entry in worst (T)RPG I've ever played within memory.

Why can't we have a simple by-the-book JRPG that has high quality art in any style but standard anime junk? The art styles were evolving great until we hit the PS2, then they stopped making 2D games. Now we have games with higher hardware requirements than AAA 3D games from 2008, and worse graphics than Secret of Evermore (which is almost 30 years old). Do studios like Square Enix not know how to make good art, or how to create 2D effects?

Where on Earth is this movement for dog poop art coming from? Do people actually like this?

PowerPanda

Quote from: MysticLord on October 30, 2022, 01:52:05 AMFell Seal is very bad all around, consider it my entry in worst (T)RPG I've ever played within memory.

Did we play the same game? Because I thought it was one of the best TRPGs I'd ever played (minus the art style, of course).

MysticLord

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 09:49:17 AMDid we play the same game? Because I thought it was one of the best TRPGs I'd ever played (minus the art style, of course).
I couldn't get past not being free to select any skill I want when I have the JP to buy it, the bland and poorly executed story, and of course the art style and execution thereof.

The skills are extremely generic too.

PowerPanda

Okay. I personally liked that you had to train a unit in a class in order to get the best skills; it gave a sense of progression to each character. The skills themselves I found to be a mixture of standard fare and unique. The way they fit the skills together into classes I felt added a lot of synergy to the skills. I liked that you could learn abilities that would only target allies/enemies with magic, and I loved, loved, LOVED that there were items that could give a special class to a generic unit.

All in all, there are really only 2 complaints I have with the game:
1. You can't play straight through the story; you have to stop and grind.
2. The art.

Aside from that, I'd consider it a top-tier TRPG.

Bonesy

I still stand by what I remember of like, Tecmo's Secret of the Stars and Beyond the Beyond. More recently, I shelled out a whopping 2 dollars for the Switch version of Legrand Legacy which desperately wanted to be Legend of Dragoon but ran like shit.

MysticLord

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 05:42:45 PMOkay. I personally liked that you had to train a unit in a class in order to get the best skills; it gave a sense of progression to each character.
I find that logical. Why should a change of wardrobe dramatically alter your stats in FFT? But logical doesn't matter to my monkey brain, which wants what it wants and it wants it now.

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 05:42:45 PMThe skills themselves I found to be a mixture of standard fare and unique. The way they fit the skills together into classes I felt added a lot of synergy to the skills.
Fell Seal follows the FFTA 1 & 2 route for skill allotment, which I don't like. I prefer FFT, but rebalanced and expanded within the context of FFT. Whatever role it has is taken to the logical extreme, and mechanics are finessed so you can get many different builds out of it.

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 05:42:45 PMI liked that you could learn abilities that would only target allies/enemies with magic, ...
Yeah that passive skill which fine tunes AoE spell targeting is nice, but a better system would tie that to elemental absorb and move your enemies one step closer to elemental weakness and allies one step closer to elemental absorb. This interacts (and stacks) with other systems and results in deeper complexity, while the passive skill you mentioned simplifies it instead.

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 05:42:45 PMand I loved, loved, LOVED that there were items that could give a special class to a generic unit.
That's a throwback from Ogre Battle - The March of the Black Queen. There are items that let you turn an Amazon into a Princess, a Knight or Dark Knight into a vampire, and the Mage upgrades to Sorcerer and then Lich also require items (the same item is used to promote into a Zombie Dragon IIRC). You can also get your fighters infected with werewolf lycanthropy.

I think TRPGs should go in a different direction:
  • Limit job unlocks to at most 2/3 of the available jobs for each character.
  • Have sidegrade jobs you can switch out a normal job for, at no cost or for the cost of a single job unlock (and with some just for special recruits).
  • Trade 2+ job unlocks for a job upgrade, which replaces a job with an improved version. Better skills, better stats, better gear options.
You could make certain job unlocks conditional on pretty much anything, but I don't think everyone masters every job is worthwhile.

Quote from: PowerPanda on October 30, 2022, 05:42:45 PMAll in all, there are really only 2 complaints I have with the game:
1. You can't play straight through the story; you have to stop and grind.
2. The art.

Aside from that, I'd consider it a top-tier TRPG.
Your recommendation lends a lot of weight, but I've tried playing it about 6 times now and it always disappoints. For whatever reason people just don't know how to make good games anymore.

akualung

Snes' The Lord of the Rings. What a waste of plastic and sillicon...