[GB] Mega Man II GB/Rockman World 2 Music Improvement V2

Started by forple, September 27, 2022, 12:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

forple

Quote from: NES Boy on November 09, 2022, 01:08:06 PMWill there be an alternate soundtrack that actually adapts the original NES Robot Master themes, either as new arrangements (like in the first GB game) or direct translations (as in the third and fourth GB games)?

I plan on doing so for a later hack. This one currently aims to simply re-arrange the current tracks the game was originally given by JSH.

Quote from: Midna on November 09, 2022, 04:09:11 PMI understand this would be extremely difficult, but one way you could spice things up even more is import the sound driver used in MM World 3-5 and remix the World 2 songs for it.

This wouldn't be that hard in theory, with how the code's laid out. If you're curious as to why it'd be easy, it's because the driver and the main game code have little to no interaction between each other, with the driver simply looking for writes to two RAM addresses the main game writes to when it wants to play a song or sound effect. I've been working on figuring out how the MMV driver works, but it took a spot on the backburner for this hack. Despite that, a variant of the driver appears in the Vast Fame bootleg Shi Kong Xing Shou, and that game is getting a disassembly and a custom music tool, so I might be able to take that variation of the driver and use that instead. The biggest downside to using this alternate driver would be the game might lag a decent amount, as it's not the most optimized driver.