News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[Music] [NES] Super Mario Bros DX side project

Started by flamepanther, January 10, 2023, 04:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamepanther

In the next update for Super Mario Bros DX (https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/144/) I want to include some addendum patches for alternate styles. One of these will apply vaporwave-inspired colors, text, and other touches. I have the graphics almost completely done already. If possible though, I'd like it to include new music. Unfortunately I lack the skill set for that.

What I'd like is NES covers of (in)famous vaporwave/synthwave/futurefunk/mallsoft tunes for the original Super Mario Bros music engine. I'm flexible on exactly which tunes these would be and what they'd end up sounding like, depending on what's feasible. Shortened versions are okay. I'd like this to be done by changing the music data only, without expanding the ROM or relocating anything. Not everything needs to be changed. Looking for 4 to 5 tunes at most.

I know this is a long shot, and I'll go ahead without new music if there are no volunteers.

Amilgi

Hi, I'd be willing to take a shot at it.

I'm mostly a FamiTracker cover guy but this would be a good opportunity to dip my toes into direct music data hacking.
I have to imagine SMB audio is very well documented and I bet there are audio editing tools out there already.

Depending on the songs it may be tricky to get quality covers with the limited instruments/ROM size/features/etc. of SMB, but we'll see.
I'll probably start by cloning SMB instruments into FamiTracker to sketch out the songs, and if we're happy then we can work out translating them into the ROM.

Shoot me your song list and I'll start some sketches. :beer:
If you have Discord or other socials you want to use for easier discussion let me know.

flamepanther

Quote from: Amilgi on January 12, 2023, 04:07:47 PMHi, I'd be willing to take a shot at it.

I'm mostly a FamiTracker cover guy but this would be a good opportunity to dip my toes into direct music data hacking.
I have to imagine SMB audio is very well documented and I bet there are audio editing tools out there already.

Depending on the songs it may be tricky to get quality covers with the limited instruments/ROM size/features/etc. of SMB, but we'll see.
I'll probably start by cloning SMB instruments into FamiTracker to sketch out the songs, and if we're happy then we can work out translating them into the ROM.

Shoot me your song list and I'll start some sketches. :beer:
If you have Discord or other socials you want to use for easier discussion let me know.

Hey, thanks!  :beer:

You can hit me up on Discord:
flamepanther#3497

Rather than a specific song list, it might be best if I provide some suggestions, and you can do the ones you think will be the most feasible or the most fun to do. I'll start putting that together.

Meanwhile, the one song I would consider somewhat mandatory (on account of being THE most recognizable) would be this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4gl-FX2RvI