Terranigma Pixel Freemaster v1.0 available for download!

Started by Nintenja, September 23, 2022, 03:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nintenja

Terranigma-Pixel Freemaster (v1.0) is available for download from https://archive.org/details/terranigma-pixel-freemaster

This is only the beginning but right now I believe this is the definitive way at this time to play this classic 16-bit RPG and I feel this game deserves a larger audience. The MSU1 audio OST is beautiful, the graphics are beautiful, this game is a real gem.
Terranigma was developed by Quintet and published by Enix in 1995 in Europe but never came to the U.S. due to the same licensing issues that make it unlikely to see re-release in the future. That makes this project and release an important one in that we may never see an official Pixel Remaster like release of this game. Hence the name I've given the project Terranigma Pixel Freemaster.

It includes in one single easy to use. Ips patch:
MSU-1 Audio Support
NTSC 60hz
8×16 Font
Ark has Blue Hair Restored
Bloody Mary Boss HP is nerfed 33%

::::INSTRUCTIONS::::
Download patch from https://archive.org/details/terranigma-pixel-freemaster
patch to Terranigma (Europe) Rom using patching program or rom patcher JS https://www.marcrobledo.com/RomPatcher.js/
Download MSU1 audio files https://www.zeldix.net/t1432-terranigma-gaia-trilogy-iii-pal-and-ntsc
Put patched rom in folder with MSU1 Audio Files and rename patched rom to same name as MSU-1 files
I play this on SNES 9X EX usually

Credit goes to:
Conn for MSU1 compatibility
Advancedpillow for Terranigma Blue-Arks Apology (Nerf Bloody Mary HP by 33%+Blue Hair for Ark)
Mopoz for 8×16 font
Breezy for NTSC 60hz
*The MSU1 Audio OST PCM Pack composed by Martin Denk presented by RedScorpion: (not included)
Nintenja is the project lead/compiler for this project.
Play Tester:regalia 776 and Nintenja

Got a lot of good feedback already from some experienced romhacking members..thank you OK impala for link info to possible tools and the current retranslation project. I will check out the tools and contact translator soon.
*Got an experienced terranigma expert lore/playtester in regalia776.

So here is a progress summary and also a slight roadmap based on current information in this forum.
:::::included fixes/changes in one merged patch in v 1.0:::::::
ISSUE.                                FIX
16 bit sound.                      now MSU1 uncompressed audio support
50 hz europe.                    Now NTSC 60 hz
Font sucks.                        now 8×16 font
Ark hair color wrong.        Ark now has Blue Hair
Bloody Mary boss hard.  Bloody Mary HP decreased 33 percent.....maybe Further tweaking possible?

Future Roadmap:
ISSUE.                                  FIX
Old translation.                  A pro is working on a new new translation that is looking nice I will contact him to see about collaboration merging
Reinsert neo Tokyo quiz.  Need to research this..translation patch possible???
Clearer magirocks don't disappear.    Another translation issue I can bring to pro translater

LATER ISSUE.                    LATER FIX
Widescreen patch?          Might not be essential but metroid and Mario world got one and they are awesome
Expand maps?                  Hmmm.. we will see..might need tools and help.
new game plus.                  Might need outside help on this one..might have to complete a full working version first


====Other Hacks like this one I've competed====
You can download Final Fantasy V-Pixel Freemaster v4.5 from https://archive.org/details/final-fantasy-v-pixel-freemaster-v2.0

You can also download Mario Kart-Super Circuit-Freemastered v2.0 from https://archive.org/details/mario-kart-super-circuit-freemastered

Follow all Nintenja's projects https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=35801.0

Nintenja can be contacted at nintenjaofficial@gmail.com

Regalia776

A longtime lurker on this forum, just had to sign up to reply to this. And the answer is:

Oh my god YES!

Terranigma is literally one of the best RPGs on the SNES and easily one of the best of all time. The combat system, the setting, the deep and sad (for its time) story. It's probably the one game that got butchered the least by its original translation but could still very much be expanded and retranslated to bring it up to modern standards.

I would already have several ideas that could be implemented to make the game better:

- MSU audio is a given
- Retranslation & fixing the font
- re-insert the quiz that was cut from Neo Tokyo
- Make it clearer early on that the magirocks don't disappear after use but can be re-charged. Too many players never used magic because they didn't want to waste their rocks and ended up never using them at all.
- Re-balance Bloody Mary. Make her take more damage even that one level lower but give her more HP and let her hit harder.
- Make the game 60Hz (a patch already exists for this)

That's just what came to my mind right away. If you want to also add something to the game, my suggestions (though I'm not a hacker, so I cannot say how easy or hard it would be of course):

- New Game +
- Maybe add a location or two more. South Cape from Illusion of Gaia, perhaps? Africa is so empty in the game. I also think another level of development would be great for Litz since this town always felt like it should have had one more.
- Maybe make Loire take a similar route with the drunkard Louis, just more run down?

The town expansions were such an amazing feature of the game, that's why I mention them and locations here mostly. If those could be expanded somehow that would be amazing.

If you need help with the game's text or with its lore in any way, you can send me a PM. I'm a fan of Terranigma since childhood, replay it every year and a remake/remastered release of it would be my dream come true.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the game!

Nintenja

Quote from: Regalia776 on September 23, 2022, 09:56:36 AMA longtime lurker on this forum, just had to sign up to reply to this. And the answer is:

Oh my god YES!

Terranigma is literally one of the best RPGs on the SNES and easily one of the best of all time. The combat system, the setting, the deep and sad (for its time) story. It's probably the one game that got butchered the least by its original translation but could still very much be expanded and retranslated to bring it up to modern standards.

I would already have several ideas that could be implemented to make the game better:

- MSU audio is a given
- Retranslation & fixing the font
- re-insert the quiz that was cut from Neo Tokyo
- Make it clearer early on that the magirocks don't disappear after use but can be re-charged. Too many players never used magic because they didn't want to waste their rocks and ended up never using them at all.
- Re-balance Bloody Mary. Make her take more damage even that one level lower but give her more HP and let her hit harder.
- Make the game 60Hz (a patch already exists for this)

That's just what came to my mind right away. If you want to also add something to the game, my suggestions (though I'm not a hacker, so I cannot say how easy or hard it would be of course):

- New Game +
- Maybe add a location or two more. South Cape from Illusion of Gaia, perhaps? Africa is so empty in the game. I also think another level of development would be great for Litz since this town always felt like it should have had one more.
- Maybe make Loire take a similar route with the drunkard Louis, just more run down?

The town expansions were such an amazing feature of the game, that's why I mention them and locations here mostly. If those could be expanded somehow that would be amazing.

If you need help with the game's text or with its lore in any way, you can send me a PM. I'm a fan of Terranigma since childhood, replay it every year and a remake/remastered release of it would be my dream come true.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do with the game!
wow thanks for the post.glad you share an enthusiasm for this classic.you seem to be very well knowledgable about this game and an expert.good suggestions.u signing up to msg me this means alot.just what i needed really.and i appreciate it.im just starting to look at this game right now and have no idea how far or how long this will take to make this project or if anything what ill be able to make it into.not even sure what tools are available yet if any for this game but i have a personal version of this game i made with msu1 audio patched in with 60hz ntsc-8×16 font..bloody marry nerfed 33% hp..ark has blue hair like in the artwork. Some of this work was already done..it loads and msu1 works but i havent had time to playtest it bc i was working on super star wars trilogy testing with msu1 and difficulty adjustment,tmnt-turtles in time testing (prolly complete version 1),ffv pixel freemaster (version 3 now), and mario kart super circuit-freemastered (complete version 1)..would you want to playtest this version i currently have? See if its completable/bugs/ whatever else?

lexluthermiester

Quote from: Nintenja on September 23, 2022, 03:59:44 AMUse the above poll to answer...Does anyone want a definitive MSU1 audio version of Terranigma? This game is a snes hidden gem masterpiece...i think it needs a fan made definitive edition patch,as a re-release by Quintet Is probably never going to happen.thinking of calling it Terranigma-Hidden Gem Edition maybe?ive got a nice version I've been working on. Still testing alot and Final Fantasy V-Pixel Freemaster Has taken up a lot of time to get to version 3.0..haven't really dived super deep into this but there are a few nice patches already done for it but yeah I'm really thinking about it. Does anyone care enough to want this project to happen?or care enough to work on this project with me?

You can download Final Fantasy V-Pixel Freemaster v3.0 from https://archive.org/details/final-fantasy-v-pixel-freemaster-v2.0

You can also download Mario Kart-Super Circuit-Freemastered from https://archive.org/details/mario-kart-super-circuit-freemastered

Download and check out those hacks for an idea of what I'm kinda trying to work on here.
Oh hell yes! Bring it on good sir!

Ok Impala!

Surely! Terranigma is amazing, would love to create new level maps for that game if ever a map editor becomes available! If you are going to create tools yourself, be sure to share them here too!  :)

As for a re-translation. Someone is already working on that and is pretty far into the game already. Would be great if you two could team-up! Check it out at: https://twitter.com/TerranigmaR

pleasejust

Terranigma is ok. Great graphics and gameplay is not bad. But it's no masterpiece. I couldn't finish it. It's no Baldur's Gate or anything. Japanese RPGs are a joke since 1998 basically.

Nintenja

Quote from: pleasejust on September 24, 2022, 12:40:04 AMTerranigma is ok. Great graphics and gameplay is not bad. But it's no masterpiece. I couldn't finish it. It's no Baldur's Gate or anything. Japanese RPGs are a joke since 1998 basically.
i hear you. I think the majority of retrospective reviews consider it a masterpiece hidden gem..but ive definitely heard some people consider it average or just above average..i dont put it on the level of chrono trigger,trials of mana,or ff6..but to me those are nearly perfect games..it all kinda comes down to experiences..i think some pc gamers consider the original diablo..baldurs gate..ice wind dale as the true masterpieces of the 90s era..but yeah post 98 jrps definitely changed with the turn to 3d graphics..but we still got some real classics in that era like ff7,valkyrie profile,chrono cross,final fantasy 9,xenogears(kinda rushed)amongst others..thing is everyone wants to mod mario rpg,chrono trigger,earthbound,and ff6..this game has kinda been overlooked.

Regalia776

Quote from: Nintenja on September 23, 2022, 04:25:58 PMwow thanks for the post.glad you share an enthusiasm for this classic.you seem to be very well knowledgable about this game and an expert.good suggestions.u signing up to msg me this means alot.just what i needed really.and i appreciate it.im just starting to look at this game right now and have no idea how far or how long this will take to make this project or if anything what ill be able to make it into.not even sure what tools are available yet if any for this game but i have a personal version of this game i made with msu1 audio patched in with 60hz ntsc-8×16 font..bloody marry nerfed 33% hp..ark has blue hair like in the artwork. Some of this work was already done..it loads and msu1 works but i havent had time to playtest it bc i was working on super star wars trilogy testing with msu1 and difficulty adjustment,tmnt-turtles in time testing (prolly complete version 1),ffv pixel freemaster (version 3 now), and mario kart super circuit-freemastered (complete version 1)..would you want to playtest this version i currently have? See if its completable/bugs/ whatever else?

I'm currently on holidays, but I can get to play testing by Wednesday if you want. Would be glad to try!

Ark's sprite being more like his artwork is also a neat little change that I approve of. A better font was also on my list, I forgot to write it down for some reason but I feel it goes hand in hand with a retranslation.

As for Bloody Mary, I don't think she needs nerfing, but what she does need is to make the player feel they can actually damage her which is hard to do in the original version since most of the time you will just do 1HP damage. I would really just decrease her defense and increase her HP just a little or leave them as they are.

Nintenja

Quote from: Ok Impala! on September 24, 2022, 12:16:44 AMSurely! Terranigma is amazing, would love to create new level maps for that game if ever a map editor becomes available! If you are going to create tools yourself, be sure to share them here too!  :)

As for a re-translation. Someone is already working on that and is pretty far into the game already. Would be great if you two could team-up! Check it out at: https://twitter.com/TerranigmaR

Not a bad idea for the level editing tools..will check into that..i checked on the twitter for the retranslation..says he also.released a gsme called haiku for the nintento switch..and the retranslation is definitely looking good..so yeah he looks pretty darn good at what he does.thanks for this info ill make a twitter and contact him for sure :)

Ok Impala!

Amazing! Terranigma is very high on my list of games I'd like to hack. I do consider Terranigma a masterpiece and one of the standout ARPGs from the 90s.

A great place to start if you are looking into creating more tools is the website by the creator of TerraCraft. He posted a lot of Rom related info here:

https://www.terranigma.be/index.php/Main_Page

TerraCraft and another editor are hosted here on RHDN under utilities:
https://www.romhacking.net/?page=utilities&category=&platform=&game=897&author=&os=&level=&perpage=20&title=&desc=&utilsearch=Go

Too bad TerraCraft was never completed. Would love to be able to change scripts, events etc...

Nintenja

#10
Quote from: Regalia776 on September 24, 2022, 04:27:01 AMI'm currently on holidays, but I can get to play testing by Wednesday if you want. Would be glad to try!

Ark's sprite being more like his artwork is also a neat little change that I approve of. A better font was also on my list, I forgot to write it down for some reason but I feel it goes hand in hand with a retranslation.

As for Bloody Mary, I don't think she needs nerfing, but what she does need is to make the player feel they can actually damage her which is hard to do in the original version since most of the time you will just do 1HP damage. I would really just decrease her defense and increase her HP just a little or leave them as they are.

I have a version ready now I can give you to playtest. I'll pm you about it. I'm sorry in advance if it's not completable/broken or glitches for any reason.. this is in beta status atm for sure call it v.01..but I'll also playtest it too so u won't be alone in that regard and we can compare experiences . Seems someone (as mentioned above is currently working on a new script project)so I'll have to link up with him and take that heavily into account for this project if it's gonna be done right (not sure on that time frame)in future versions. Ill also have to test and checkout existing tools for terranigma, than of course I do have a limit of just how much I can accomplish skill wise but obsession and willingness to learn and accept help will hopefully overcome that.  This could turn out to be a doozy but I hope for now we can have a working compilation of the best available stuff existing so far in v.01. Honestly i Learned a lot working on ffv-pixel freemaster but am not on t92 or shadowone333 or conn level. Those guys have a ton more projects under their belt that's for sure.

Nintenja

Quote from: Ok Impala! on September 24, 2022, 12:16:44 AMSurely! Terranigma is amazing, would love to create new level maps for that game if ever a map editor becomes available! If you are going to create tools yourself, be sure to share them here too!  :)

As for a re-translation. Someone is already working on that and is pretty far into the game already. Would be great if you two could team-up! Check it out at: https://twitter.com/TerranigmaR

I'm not so sure it shouldn't be you making this hack..lol. I checked your profile and Good lord your work list has been extensive and a lot of amazing work there..some amazing projects and,contributions for sure.a ton that I've already heard about and some that I've already played. Appreciate the work you've done and thanks for the links and info and support. I may have a question or two for you in the future as well if that's ok.

lilpuddy31

While I do approve of Terranigma getting the "Freemaster" treatment, can we get a retranslation of Illusion Of Gaia first?  ;D

lexluthermiester

Quote from: pleasejust on September 24, 2022, 12:40:04 AMBut it's no masterpiece.
You are in the minority with that opinion.

@Nintenja
Do carry on.

Ok Impala!

Quote from: Nintenja on September 24, 2022, 10:28:53 AMI may have a question or two for you in the future as well if that's ok.

Sure, feel free to send me an e-mail or send me a PM on Twitter.  :)

Nintenja

Quote from: lilpuddy31 on September 24, 2022, 10:17:50 PMWhile I do approve of Terranigma getting the "Freemaster" treatment, can we get a retranslation of Illusion Of Gaia first?  ;D

Yes someone needs to sink their teeh into this like right now..a new translatiom coule take some real time..honestly illusion of gaia has only gotten one hack apocalypse gaia...and thats just a final boss addition to the game..which dont get me wrong is a good and necessary hack..i havent played it but did patch together msu1 with it and have to play it through sometime..will be cool if it works and im pretty sure it can be properly merged by someone soon..

Mrstealth85

Quote from: Nintenja on September 25, 2022, 01:57:54 AMYes someone needs to sink their teeh into this like right now..a new translatiom coule take some real time..honestly illusion of gaia has only gotten one hack apocalypse gaia...and thats just a final boss addition to the game..which dont get me wrong is a good and necessary hack..i havent played it but did patch together msu1 with it and have to play it through sometime..will be cool if it works and im pretty sure it can be properly merged by someone soon..

Actually a prototype English translation of Illusion of Gaia was found fairly recently with a script that is more faithful to the Japanese version. More information can be found here: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Illusion_of_Gaia/Text_Differences

Being a prototype, it is rough around the edges in more than a few places, but there's likely someone out there who can polish it up. It would be easier than completely retranslating the game from scratch, at least.

Nintenja

Quote from: Mrstealth85 on September 25, 2022, 02:05:12 AMActually a prototype English translation of Illusion of Gaia was found fairly recently with a script that is more faithful to the Japanese version. More information can be found here: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Illusion_of_Gaia/Text_Differences

Being a prototype, it is rough around the edges in more than a few places, but there's likely someone out there who can polish it up. It would be easier than completely retranslating the game from scratch, at least.

Wow..super interesting. Might need to start a separate thread of illusion of gaia. A script redo like thid with the final boss hack and msu1..would be a decent pixel freemaster for starters..good work finding this one.

lilpuddy31

#18
I also found this...

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoqdJOVga77Bp2FnXfnrf8KhPoVuF1Xeh

A YouTuber played through the Japanese original and translated the game using the closed captioning.  I've only watched a little bit of it so far, could definitely use some polish

Nintenja

#19
Quote from: lilpuddy31 on September 26, 2022, 12:41:34 AMI also found this...

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoqdJOVga77Bp2FnXfnrf8KhPoVuF1Xeh

A YouTuber played through the Japanese original and translated the game using the closed captioning.  I've only watched a little bit of it so far, could definitely use some polish

Even better than the videos maybe is all the screenshots in order with the subtitles..looks like the whole game is here(was linked in video description)
Let's play Illusion of Gaia, but in Japanese! Gaia Gensouki retranslation attempt | ResetEra
https://www.resetera.com/threads/lets-play-illusion-of-gaia-but-in-japanese-gaia-gensouki-retranslation-attempt.171584/  looks easier to use than the videos