Translations: PopoloCrois PS1 Translation Complete

Started by RHDNBot, September 08, 2022, 10:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

What initially began as a translation between MatatabiMitsu and Illidan eventually ended up in the laps of aishsha et al. As is wont the case, Matatabi's life took a turn for the better, forcing him to give up his hobby translations and aishsha was all too eager to take over what was essentially a dream project for him.

So, after years of works and many trials and tribulations along the way, the team has finally completed PopoloCrois Story for everyone to enjoy thanks to the dedication of aishsha, paul_met's beautiful hacking work and Pennywise to polish everything up to near perfection. The team also decided to dub the female narrator in the game, which was done by Cargodin. Also thanks to everyone else who helped this project to completion.

Anyhow, please enjoy the translation of PopoloCrois in all its wonderful glory.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

MD_Prometh

I wonder if subtitles can be added via reverse engineering for the female narrator, after all, Iblard had subs hacked in.

Chicken Knife

kaiisen

Quote from: MD_Prometh on September 08, 2022, 11:20:35 AMI wonder if subtitles can be added via reverse engineering for the female narrator, after all, Iblard had subs hacked in.

I was wondering that too, I have trouble understanding what she says because of the noises in the background. I would like some subtitles as well, but then there would be no need for an english dubber. Also, from a presentation point of view, it's a bit odd mixing japanese cutscenes and all of a sudden someone start speaking in english, maybe it would be better if all was left in japanese(with subs).

Otherwise outstanding job.

MD_Prometh

Quote from: kaiisen on September 08, 2022, 02:46:36 PMI was wondering that too, I have trouble understanding what she says because of the noises in the background. I would like some subtitles as well, but then there would be no need for an english dubber. Also, from a presentation point of view, it's a bit odd mixing japanese cutscenes and all of a sudden someone start speaking in english, maybe it would be better if all was left in japanese(with subs).

Otherwise outstanding job.

Yeah, the sound mixing is so low that you can barely make out what the narrator is saying.

https://youtu.be/3taaLWybVeY?t=92 Looks like an early version of the translation had subs for the narrator, odd.

aishsha

Quote from: MD_Prometh on September 08, 2022, 11:20:35 AMI wonder if subtitles can be added via reverse engineering for the female narrator, after all, Iblard had subs hacked in.
They could have, and they were discussed. They won't be. Yes, that was done deliberately. End of story.

Okina

Huge congrats to the team for completing this! It seems like a really high-quality and well-polished patch, I'm sure it was a lot of work. Popolocrois fans are awesome and definitely are deserving of this long awaited translation! :beer:

Pennywise

While we took over the translation from another hacker, we pretty much did everything from scratch, while using Illidan's work as a reference for various things. That is why there are no subtitles in our translation because our group elected not to go in that direction. It could've been worse, we were initially going to replace the narrator with an AI-generated voice synth. Count your blessings and let's just leave it at that.

swosho

At least it was done due to technical challenges, I guess.
Vandal Hearts and Tactics Ogre translations for Saturn by the same major translation team members also featured English dub that wasn't present in the Saturn versions, so I thought it was but a pattern at this point.

paul_met

Quote from: swosho on September 09, 2022, 10:29:49 AMAt least it was done due to technical challenges, I guess.
Vandal Hearts and Tactics Ogre translations for Saturn by the same major translation team members also featured English dub that wasn't present in the Saturn versions, so I thought it was but a pattern at this point.
What's is this pattern? Firstly, the translation of Tactics Ogre for Saturn has not yet been released (you are confusing it with Ogre Battle). Secondly, the English dub for Vandal Heart was ported from the PS1 version of the game. And thirdly, the English dubbing for Ogre Battle was planned using a speech synthesizer. But then this idea was abandoned due to the poor quality of the English voice acting. As soon as there is an opportunity to make quality dubbing, we use it.
Meduza Team

swosho

Ah, I brainfarted there badly, sorry. It was Ogre Battle, yes.
The pattern I mentioned is "replacing the original Japanese dub with English dub whenever possible," in this case even going as far as fan-dubbing the unsubtitled narration instead of repurposing or replicating the subtitles done in the beta patch.
I just can't understand why forced English dub is the only option.

paul_met

Quote from: swosho on September 09, 2022, 01:26:20 PMAh, I brainfarted there badly, sorry. It was Ogre Battle, yes.
The pattern I mentioned is "replacing the original Japanese dub with English dub whenever possible," in this case even going as far as fan-dubbing the unsubtitled narration instead of repurposing or replicating the subtitles done in the beta patch.
I just can't understand why forced English dub is the only option.
All people do not understand something, this is natural. For example, I do not understand those who prefer to understand the meaning of what is happening with the help of reading, when it is possible to do the same using the ear. ;)
Meduza Team

ThatGuyOverThere

Quote from: Pennywise on September 08, 2022, 09:07:05 PMWhile we took over the translation from another hacker, we pretty much did everything from scratch, while using Illidan's work as a reference for various things. That is why there are no subtitles in our translation because our group elected not to go in that direction. It could've been worse, we were initially going to replace the narrator with an AI-generated voice synth. Count your blessings and let's just leave it at that.

Maybe if aishsha wasn't being so so... well... aishsha, I might have given this a try, but what I've seen of his attitude has completely soured it for me. He acts like this is a job he was forced into doing.

swosho

Quote from: paul_met on September 09, 2022, 01:44:06 PMAll people do not understand something, this is natural. For example, I do not understand those who prefer to understand the meaning of what is happening with the help of reading, when it is possible to do the same using the ear. ;)
There are more angles to it than merely reading vs listening comprehension, though. Preserving the artistic integrity of the original performances is of paramount importance for a lot of people, but I'm deeply biased on this topic, so I'll just leave it at that.

aquagon

Firstly, I'd like to thank the team for all the work they've put into the making of this translation patch, as it was one of my dreams to see this game in English. It truly is a high-quality translation in all aspects and does the game justice, leaving aside a pet peeve I have with a character name I have been used to for 20-odd years being changed.

Regarding the controversy about the opening narration being fandubbed, I personally don't like it either, although in my case I clearly know the main reason I have for my dislike of it:

It's the fact that it isn't consistent with the rest of the game due to having left every other instance of voice acting intact. Therefore, it is kind of jarring having to see the FMV of GamiGami's attack in Japanese and subtitled into English, then hearing the narration spoken in English, and then the rest of the game being purely voiced in Japanese.

That's all I wanted to say on the matter, and so I'll go back to enjoying the rest of the game.

Bonesy

Quote from: paul_met on September 09, 2022, 01:44:06 PMAll people do not understand something, this is natural. For example, I do not understand those who prefer to understand the meaning of what is happening with the help of reading, when it is possible to do the same using the ear. ;)
What about individuals that have hearing challenges?

This thread should probably be locked again and any actual translation bugs PMed to the appropriate parties; I don't see any fruitful discussion coming out of this thread.

saito

Nice job. It's a shame I already beat this game months ago. For the dubbed part, I personally like more subs,but as long as it is translated, who cares?

Keep up the good work.
.: TransGen :.

paul_met

Quote from: Bonesy on September 09, 2022, 02:55:54 PMWhat about individuals that have hearing challenges?
What can you do, you can't please everyone. Poor people without a finger or no hands at all also want to play and press the gamepad buttons, but alas.
Meduza Team

Bonesy

Quote from: paul_met on September 09, 2022, 03:28:47 PMWhat can you do, you can't please everyone. Poor people without a finger or no hands at all also want to play and press the gamepad buttons, but alas.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/controllers/xbox-adaptive-controller

stop being ableist

Recca

First of all, I would like to thank you all for this translation. It's nice to finally be able to play through both PS1 titles. The PSP one is an abridged version of sorts which unfortunately cuts out a lot of content from both games. As for the dubbed intro thing... Well, I too would've honestly preferred to keep the original Japanese audio with English subtitles like the rest of the cut-scenes, but it's honestly not a big deal to me. I do have a bit of a solution to this for those that are bothered by it. You can just watch the old unreleased translation opening of this game with English subs on YouTube. I'll post the links to both videos below so people can compare the two for themselves:

This current translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXcooCnBwqc
The older translation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3taaLWybVeY
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)