Utilities: Advanced NES ROM Utility - Finally released!

Started by RHDNBot, September 07, 2022, 03:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Dom

About one year after releasing Advanced SNES ROM Utility Dom-aka-Doke finally decided to create and release another utility for NES ROMs... the Advanced NES ROM Utility!

Following functions are included:

-Read iNES, NES2.0 and Nintendo header information
-Fix checksums in Nintendo header
-Split into single ROM files for burning (PlayChoice-10 support)
-Split into equal sized parts for burning (VS Unisystem support)
-Expand ROM (requires Nflate)
-Apply IPS, UPS, BPS, BDF and Xdelta patches

Have fun!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

julayla

This would be interesting for using on hacking NES games. Thanks so much for this

ryouga

Some feedback as I am a little confused.

Most roms I open don't show anything on the "Nintendo header" section and beacuse of that it cannot calculate the checksum so cannot see if its correct.

Or am I missing something or does this just mean the checksum doesn't need changed?

Also some games I got errors opening but not sure if I just have bad rom dumps

day dreaming davy dragon spirit, Faria, flying dragon. Flying warriors, ikari 3 the rescue, Ikari 2, Ikari Warriors, peter pan, starship hector, tag team wrestling, Tower Of radia, wrath of the black manta, arctic adventure, boulder dash, boy and his blob

Dom

Thanks for giving some feedback  8)

@ryouga As already noticed in the description: Nintendo headers are present in only about 33% of all games. This header also stores the checksums. If no Nintendo header is detected, there're also no checksums that can be fixed. I will take a closer look at the games you've mentioned.

Edit: I've testet some of the games without getting errors, so I guess you might have some bad dumps. What does the error say? Is it an 'index out of range' exception?

ryouga

Sorry yes I noticed that afer.

I didn't note most of the error codes but just tried now and one of them tell me no valid header found

Game still works though, I thought it may be bad dumps.

Dom

'No valid header found' means that there's no iNES or NES2.0 header in your file. Do you use very old files with some deprecated header format? Can you open it using a hex editor (like HxD) and take a look if it begins with 'NES ' (4E 45 53 1A)?

ryouga

Have replaced those files and now they open ok, strange how it happened though oh well.

Thanks.

Brutapode89

Great!! Thank you very much!! :D