ROM Hacks: A Link to the Past Redux has been updated to v10!

Started by RHDNBot, August 18, 2022, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowOne333

#40
Those boxarts look neat :D
Glad to see many people taking a stab of their own liking with it.

Outside of that, I have made many advancements over for the disassembly of the project.
I think I'm really close to finishing it, but I wanted to ask for some help testing it out.

Here's the current beta patch based on the disassembly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cssykdrkpd6b4tr/Zelda3-Redux.ips?dl=0

This one includes Redux + Retranslation + Green Agahnim + TRIFORCE subtitle.
If someone could please make a full playthrough of the game, that'd be neat and would help a lot to know if this is in a good enough state for a full release based entirely on the source code.

I have also updated the GitHub ReadMe with instructions on how to compile the hack for those interested.
Do note that by having the disassembly ready in my current implementation form, it'll be absolutely viable and easy to reimplement the Original GFX and even a 'Green Agahnim + Purple Hair Uncle' optional patches back into main Redux. I already have Original GFX compilable, and they all seem to work in all its variants with their corresponding optional patches.

To whoever decides to test this beta patch, please let me know if you find anything odd!

Chicken Knife

With multiple people asking for a retranslation only patch, Shadow helped me extract the text only without the other Redux features. It will have the Triforce of the Gods title screen there, as that is part of the translation. I expect to be publishing in the next few days.

invader_quirk

Forgive my ignorance, but how does one layer multiple optional patches? I get one to work, but after that, trying to patch my file seems to have no effect.

stragusmagus

Quote from: Chicken Knife on September 08, 2022, 03:49:45 PMWith multiple people asking for a retranslation only patch, Shadow helped me extract the text only without the other Redux features. It will have the Triforce of the Gods title screen there, as that is part of the translation. I expect to be publishing in the next few days.

Thank you!
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

Felipefpl

Quote from: Chicken Knife on September 08, 2022, 03:49:45 PMWith multiple people asking for a retranslation only patch, Shadow helped me extract the text only without the other Redux features. It will have the Triforce of the Gods title screen there, as that is part of the translation. I expect to be publishing in the next few days.

Thank you very much for that. :)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000


Chicken Knife

Quote from: invader_quirk on September 13, 2022, 01:13:29 PMForgive my ignorance, but how does one layer multiple optional patches? I get one to work, but after that, trying to patch my file seems to have no effect.
You start with one of the two main Redux patches (original translation or retranslation), then you apply as many optional patches as you want one by one. They should all be compatible with each other.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 01, 2022, 12:09:33 PMThose boxarts look neat :D
Glad to see many people taking a stab of their own liking with it.

Outside of that, I have made many advancements over for the disassembly of the project.
I think I'm really close to finishing it, but I wanted to ask for some help testing it out.

Here's the current beta patch based on the disassembly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cssykdrkpd6b4tr/Zelda3-Redux.ips?dl=0

This one includes Redux + Retranslation + Green Agahnim + TRIFORCE subtitle.
If someone could please make a full playthrough of the game, that'd be neat and would help a lot to know if this is in a good enough state for a full release based entirely on the source code.

I have also updated the GitHub ReadMe with instructions on how to compile the hack for those interested.
Do note that by having the disassembly ready in my current implementation form, it'll be absolutely viable and easy to reimplement the Original GFX and even a 'Green Agahnim + Purple Hair Uncle' optional patches back into main Redux. I already have Original GFX compilable, and they all seem to work in all its variants with their corresponding optional patches.

To whoever decides to test this beta patch, please let me know if you find anything odd!

Just a reminder, this current beta patch was made with the full open source code available at my GitHub. I am still waiting on people to tell me whether they find any bugs or not, and if not, then I can safely switch to the source code from now on instead of relying on binary hacking :D

PowerPanda

Quote from: Chicken Knife on September 19, 2022, 10:52:53 AMYou start with one of the two main Redux patches (original translation or retranslation), then you apply as many optional patches as you want one by one. They should all be compatible with each other.

The one note to add to this is that full hearts patch will not take effect on existing saves. You must either take damage or gain a heart (ie - make a change to your current health), then save the game and reload.

Felipefpl

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 19, 2022, 11:20:39 AMJust a reminder, this current beta patch was made with the full open source code available at my GitHub. I am still waiting on people to tell me whether they find any bugs or not, and if not, then I can safely switch to the source code from now on instead of relying on binary hacking :D

Just a small hint: you should create a signature with big letters like i did to advertise your github/other sites you have. This may bring more attention to your projects. ;)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000


ShadowOne333

Quote from: Felipefpl on September 19, 2022, 11:41:24 AMJust a small hint: you should create a signature with big letters like i did to advertise your github/other sites you have. This may bring more attention to your projects. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, I did have that info on GBATemp, but forgot about adding it here.
Just updated my signature with the links to my projects and GitHub :D

Nintenja

One of the most important rom hacks ever created took a near 10/10 game to a 12/10..gosh what more can be said..i patched 2 amazing editions of both the english and the retranslation versions and honestly gives me a warm feeling inside knowing this exists...im just so happy and greatful this exists seriously. Greatest rom hack ever???

BoneheadBraixen

This is the PERFECT way to play the game! My wife has really appreciated all the improvements, as the original Link to the Past was a little archaic compared to what she's used to. I have as well, since I can shoot all the arrows and have Aghanim with proper coloring.

There's one thing I'd like to request, though. It's very important, I'm sure.

Can the Redux team implement an optional patch to change the Witch's assistant to Maple, like in the GBA version? Maple is rad.

elmontro42

On the main download it states that bombs are capped at 60 and arrows at 99.

Is there an optional patch to make it like the earlier updates (having 99 max for both bombs and arrows)?

Most of us Alttp players get so much rupees and we hardly have anything to spend it on other than the usual suspects Kiki, King Zora, the potions and ammo upgrades.

It's no big deal, just wondering if an optional patch existed for those of us who wanted 99 max for both.

ShadowOne333

#53
Quote from: elmontro42 on September 30, 2022, 12:05:27 PMOn the main download it states that bombs are capped at 60 and arrows at 99.

Is there an optional patch to make it like the earlier updates (having 99 max for both bombs and arrows)?

Most of us Alttp players get so much rupees and we hardly have anything to spend it on other than the usual suspects Kiki, King Zora, the potions and ammo upgrades.

It's no big deal, just wondering if an optional patch existed for those of us who wanted 99 max for both.

There's none currently, but I can easily create one based on the "Original Bomb/Arrow Amounts" optional patch and tweak it back to the 99 max for both. I'll try to make it today.

EDIT:
I just made the optional patch. Bombs should go from 20 -> 99 now.
Should be up in a few hours, but you can check it right now from the GitHub repository.

Chicken Knife

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on September 30, 2022, 12:24:40 PMThere's none currently, but I can easily create one based on the "Original Bomb/Arrow Amounts" optional patch and tweak it back to the 99 max for both. I'll try to make it today.

EDIT:
I just made the optional patch. Bombs should go from 20 -> 99 now.
Should be up in a few hours, but you can check it right now from the GitHub repository.
But correct me if I'm wrong: I don't think going up to 99 of each will cost more rupees. There are still the same set number of increases.

lilpuddy31

Is it possible to modify the bombs/arrow upgrades? So that there isn't a sudden jump to the 99 max? Like maybe starting off at the original amounts, and then paying for an upgrade, increments of 10, until they are maxed. So like 9 upgrades for bombs and 7 for arrows?

PRG

I really like the quality of life this hack has, it really is the definitive version.

I have a few suggestions, if that's okay.

I wonder if it's possible to do an optional patch that replicates the GBA version's item menu, so as to keep the original game's aesthetic style, but with the added slots for the bottles and shovel. Perhaps another one for the HUD to keep the vertical magic meter next to the hearts as well, similar to A Link Between World but on the top left instead of the bottom.

Thank you.


lilpuddy31

Hey Shadow, on the optional mirror patch, would it be possible to completely remove 'the sparkly return portal" when using the mirror to warp to the light world? It's kinda useless if you can use the mirror to travel back and forth at will...

Nintenja

Anyway we can get a day/night cycle implemented? I know there is a hack for this already but it seems it was never finished.i think a day/night cycle would be an amazing touch

ShadowOne333

Quote from: lilpuddy31 on October 27, 2022, 10:22:34 PMHey Shadow, on the optional mirror patch, would it be possible to completely remove 'the sparkly return portal" when using the mirror to warp to the light world? It's kinda useless if you can use the mirror to travel back and forth at will...

Probably an easy workaround would be to remove the graphics for it, but the best option would be to properly remove the portal point in the code. It's something I considered for sure but haven't really delved into or looked at.