ROM Hacks: A Link to the Past Redux has been updated to v10!

Started by RHDNBot, August 18, 2022, 07:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: ShadowOne333

• A Link to the Past has been updated to the long awaited v10!

This update brings forth a whole new slew of features, such as a permanent Shovel which can dig up treasures in the overworld, being able to the Title Screen by pressing Start, some Virtual Console-ported patches to diminish strong coloured flashes, a lot of new bugfixes and a bunch of new optional patches (Remove Low Health Beep, Original Bomb/Arrows amounts, Mirror on both worlds, etc.)

Alongside the brand new features included into main Redux, I'm honoured and proud to introduce a new main Redux patch, "Retranslation Redux", which features the incredible work of the people at Translation Quest to bring forth a carefully crafted script to be more in-line with the original Japanese script, alongside the original names, uncensored dialogue and references, and much, much more!

But that's not all!
The romhack now has a WIP source code available at GitHub:
* https://github.com/ShadowOne333/A-Link-to-the-Past-Redux

You can see many of the modifications done to the game, now as open source!
(The repository is not fully compilable yet due to some issues with the map layouts and FastROM)

Hurry up and grab the newest update!
Hope you all enjoy the new version!

----

* A note from the authors:

The Translation Quest team is delighted to present a complete, Japanese-faithful retranslation of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. For those familiar with Translation Quest's work with the Dragon Quest franchise, players should expect the same high standard of quality English writing and overall accuracy.

Chicken Knife & nejimakipiyo from the Translation Quest were inspired to undertake this project after repeatedly playing through Link to the Past Redux and feeling that the writing quality of the original script was quite inconsistent and lacking, especially with elements like the Dark World maiden speeches late in the game. As the Translation Quest team went line by line through the Japanese script, countless censored or otherwise altered elements were discovered. The resulting text may appear similar in some sections, but will be found to be wildly different in others.

It was decided to release this retranslation as a component of ShadowOne333's Redux project, as the Translation Quest team felt that Redux was the best way to play Link to the Past, and it became clear that ShadowOne333 shared the team's enthusiasm for a fresh translation.

It appears that a handful of other Zelda 3 retranslation / script improvement projects were released in the time between work beginning on this project and its eventual release. The Translation Quest team encourages players to compare these for themselves as far as writing quality, but it should be safe to say that this project takes the most conservative approach to translating the source material of those available.

For those who would like an easy method of comparing this retranslation to the original localization or seeing how this work matches up against the Japanese, follow this link for a helpful comparative google sheet:
* https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RKnJBGyy7WzG8HMxnj2_uIqFE54xqrtpFfihmJPGU7A/edit#heading=h.l2c5glmilnrl.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

PowerPanda

I'm so happy to have been able to contribute to this wonderful project.

lilpuddy31

Hey Shadow, quick question.

In the readme, you have 2 different links to the video track. Is there any diffence between the 2 videos?

ShadowOne333

Quote from: PowerPanda on August 18, 2022, 10:55:43 PMI'm so happy to have been able to contribute to this wonderful project.

Your help was incredible for this new update, mate.
Thank you so much for your contributions! :D

Quote from: lilpuddy31 on August 18, 2022, 11:33:37 PMHey Shadow, quick question.

In the readme, you have 2 different links to the video track. Is there any diffence between the 2 videos?

The only difference between the two (iirc) is the audio volume (or normalization levels).
The first link (Mediafire) has the FMV with -21dB, and the second one (Dropbox) has a bit more volume.
That's the only thing, outside of that, they're essentially the same in video quality and such.

Stifu

Thank you for everyone's hard work on this. I only started playing the Retranslation a bit, because I was curious if Agahnim would be referred to as a wizard or sorcerer, and it turns out he's a bishop here. The translation looks fine to me so far, but I thought it was a bit strange how, when you get the lantern, the first person is used:

QuoteI got a lantern! Now I can light torches by pressing Y!

I guess that's how it is in the Japanese version, but I think that is awkward or unusual in English, where the second person would normally be used ("You got a lantern!"...). This is especially weird to me considering Link is generally mute, so I wouldn't expect him to be chatty when he's alone.

Chicken Knife

Quote from: Stifu on August 19, 2022, 03:31:52 PMThank you for everyone's hard work on this. I only started playing the Retranslation a bit, because I was curious if Agahnim would be referred to as a wizard or sorcerer, and it turns out he's a bishop here. The translation looks fine to me so far, but I thought it was a bit strange how, when you get the lantern, the first person is used:

I guess that's how it is in the Japanese version, but I think that is awkward or unusual in English, where the second person would normally be used ("You got a lantern!"...). This is especially weird to me considering Link is generally mute, so I wouldn't expect him to be chatty when he's alone.
Thanks for giving it a try! I'm happy to explain our choices. First, with Agahnim, he's definitely a cleric of some kind according to the Japanese script. Wizard or sorcerer in English were 100% a result of NOAs censorship policy toward anything religious at that time. He's been called a priest before in English, and that is somewhat true, but the problem there is that the kindly priest in the northern Chapel / Sanctuary is called a word in Japanese that translates most directly as a priest. The word used for Agahnim indicates a cleric who is on a higher, more administrative level -- and potentially corrupt. The original concept art with the flowing red robe almost makes me think of a Catholic cardinal. In the end, we thought bishop best reflects the Japanese concept and shows the distinction between him and the good natured priest who hides princess Zelda.

As for the first person text, yep -- that is exactly the way the Japanese works. Not only does Link speak in the first person when getting items, but your responses in dialogue are all first person as well. I thought it was strange at first too because we think of Link as this solemn hero rather than a spunky kid with some things to say, but it really did grow on me through the course of the project. And keep this in mind: even if we might be partial and think that the retranslation is the best script out there, the aim isn't to make everyone happy. The aim here is to provide an accurate reflection of the Japanese game along with offering players a fresh new experience, even if it might take some adjustment. We opted to leave the original Redux script as an option for players who might feel put off by the departures of the retranslation.

If you do continue playing, there are a lot more cool things to discover, and if you want any more of the backdrop behind our translation decisions, don't hesitate to ask!

JKPhage

I'm definitely planning to add the new update to my collection, because those small additions sound really nice. While I respect the hell out of all involved with the retranslation though, just looking at the google doc I caught half a dozen awkward, poorly worded, or grammatically incorrect bits before I even got to the dialogue for the Sanctuary.

"And worse, a mysterious evil power began to flow out from there."

For one, this is a complete sentence so it shouldn't start with "And". If you want to keep the wording thus, end the previous section with a comma instead of a period, then don't capitalize "And". Also the wording is... very awkward to put it politely. I get trying to be straightforward and literal, but that's just not how people talk in English. If you want to keep it as a single passage with the previous segment, it would read much better as

"Many fought to gain entry to the Sacred Realm, yet none who succeeded were heard from again, and worse, a mysterious evil power began to flow forth from it."

It matches the tone of the story and eliminates the incredibly uncomfortable phrasing of "flow out from there" which is not how English parses in normal speech.

The next section reads "The king of Hyrule commanded Seven Sages to seal off the passage to the Sacred Realm." In this section "Seven Sages" is capitalized, implying it's a proper noun, but it parsed such that it shouldn't be read as a proper noun. This one is easy enough to fix, by simply changing it to "The king of Hyrule commanded the Seven Sages to seal off the passage to the Sacred Realm."

But then the very next line is, again, a sentence fragment. "And that seal should never have been broken." This is not a complete sentence. Either remove the "And" to make it a complete sentence, or end the previous section with a comma as recommended above.

That's a lot of awkward/bad phrasing in just the opening cutscene. Then I looked a little further and came across the sign offering a reward for the descendants of the Seven Sages which is now worded "100 rupees to anyone who locates a girl descending from the Seven Sages. The King" This is better than the original, but now suddenly it *must* be a girl? While the appropriate characters in this case *are* all girls, it seems more coincidence that this is the case at the time of the story and less that they must specifically be female, so I think an adjustment to make it read "100 rupees to anyone who locates a descendant of the Seven Sages. The King" would be preferable, but if we simply *must* stick with the point of them being girls then "100 rupees to anyone who locates a girl descended from the Seven Sages. The King" is correct, rather than "descending".

Later on, a soldier muses about the others being mind controlled with "Everyone has been acting strangely since that bishop Aghanim showed up. I wonder if I'll eventually get affected..." which is, again, awkward phrasing and not how people talk. Just say it out loud and you'll realize it's not how you'd ever say that normally. "I wonder if I'll eventually be affected..." is much more natural sounding and grammatically correct in this instance.

Once you rescue Zelda from the cell she gives you her quick blurb about the situation, but the second sentence is our old familiar friend, a sentence starting with "And", i.e. "And the bishop, I suspect he isn't even human." Just drop the "And" and this becomes a perfectly serviceable line. Then right after she tells you she knows an escape route she says "We should Head to the main hall on the first floor." with "Head" being capitalized for no apparent reason other than, as far as I can guess, a typo.

That's as far as I've read critically, but it seems kind of telling that there's so many instances of bad grammar and punctuation right off the bat, especially from a crew that I *know* does great translations. It almost seems like this was a rough draft and someone forgot to do a proofreading pass on it before sending it out. Personally, I also really dislike the distinction of "Bishop" for Agahnim. I get that the original text refers to him as a priest, but the title of Bishop specifically just seems awkward and was chosen just to give him a more grandiose title than "priest", which would making the reading feel less stilted when talking about him. If there's some specific combination of characters that implies the specific rank of "Bishop" then so be it, because I'm no expert, but just on a basic level it doesn't feel quite right in terminology or in terms of reading. If you need to differentiate him from the priest in the Chapel then calling him a "Cleric" would sound much less clunky, while still implying a "similar but different" character concept.

I hate that this sounds like I'm just throwing shade at the whole thing, because I don't want it to come across that way. I'm simply trying to highlight the fact that there are numerous instances of bad punctuation and awkward/poor phrasing right out of the gate, and to offer suggestions for how these might be improved. It seems very odd that a team that usually cranks out high quality work was involved with something that has that many hiccups in such a quick succession, especially on a game that has a rather small amount of text all things considered. I'd love to see this get a second pass with some polish and a cleaned up script so that this combined with the game tweaks could make a truly definitive version of the game, but as it stands I can't say that the translation is up to par.

I'd be very happy to go through the whole thing and offer some similar notes/suggestions for the team if they're interested, and if something I suggest, like the bishop > priest thing are genuinely something that is incorrect by the original text then I'm more than happy to admit that it's just awkward sounding and deal with it, but just a quick skim over a little more of the text saw a few more bits of awkward/poor phrasing or incorrect grammar, and I'd love to help put that little bit of extra polish on the product if it's needed/wanted.

Neon Streetlight

Shadow and Chicken Knife working together on Zelda? This is probably going to be one of the best romhacks in my collection. Thanks so much for all the hard work you put into this so we can all enjoy a classic in its best possible form!

Mega_Mega_X

Has anyone 100% this version yet? The reason I ask is because I tried doing so with the previous version and could not do it due to the Chest Mini-Game absolutely refusing to give me the Heart Piece. I tried for weeks after finishing the game and gave up eventually. I played it on Android Chromebook using SNES9x. Idk if that last part is relevant.

Anyway. Glad to see this updated I'll have to play this version when I get the ALTTP bug again. Cheers fellas.

Chicken Knife

Quote from: JKPhage on August 19, 2022, 09:36:23 PMI'm definitely planning to add the new update to my collection, because those small additions sound really nice. While I respect the hell out of all involved with the retranslation though, just looking at the google doc I caught half a dozen awkward, poorly worded, or grammatically incorrect bits before I even got to the dialogue for the Sanctuary.

"And worse, a mysterious evil power began to flow out from there."

For one, this is a complete sentence so it shouldn't start with "And". If you want to keep the wording thus, end the previous section with a comma instead of a period, then don't capitalize "And". Also the wording is... very awkward to put it politely. I get trying to be straightforward and literal, but that's just not how people talk in English. If you want to keep it as a single passage with the previous segment, it would read much better as

"Many fought to gain entry to the Sacred Realm, yet none who succeeded were heard from again, and worse, a mysterious evil power began to flow forth from it."

It matches the tone of the story and eliminates the incredibly uncomfortable phrasing of "flow out from there" which is not how English parses in normal speech.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/words-to-not-begin-sentences-with#:~:text=It's%20perfectly%20acceptable%20to%20begin,for%20over%20a%20thousand%20years.
It looks like Mirriam-Webster has my back here. The flexibility of the English language is really something you should be aware of. I also feel like your alternative proposal sounds like a run-on sentence in comparison to what we did.

QuoteThis is better than the original, but now suddenly it *must* be a girl? While the appropriate characters in this case *are* all girls, it seems more coincidence that this is the case at the time of the story and less that they must specifically be female, so I think an adjustment to make it read "100 rupees to anyone who locates a descendant of the Seven Sages. The King" would be preferable, but if we simply *must* stick with the point of them being girls then "100 rupees to anyone who locates a girl descended from the Seven Sages. The King" is correct, rather than "descending".
You're going to have to take that up with the Japanese. Agahnim isn't out looking to make a sacrifice of Sahasrahla, and catching girls was not a coincidence. Also, I really don't think there's anything wrong with "descending" here.

QuoteThen right after she tells you she knows an escape route she says "We should Head to the main hall on the first floor." with "Head" being capitalized for no apparent reason other than, as far as I can guess, a typo.
This point was useful, but the typo was not present in the game itself--which received a great deal more proof-reading ultimately than this comparative doc.

QuotePersonally, I also really dislike the distinction of "Bishop" for Agahnim. I get that the original text refers to him as a priest, but the title of Bishop specifically just seems awkward and was chosen just to give him a more grandiose title than "priest", which would making the reading feel less stilted when talking about him. If there's some specific combination of characters that implies the specific rank of "Bishop" then so be it, because I'm no expert, but just on a basic level it doesn't feel quite right in terminology or in terms of reading. If you need to differentiate him from the priest in the Chapel then calling him a "Cleric" would sound much less clunky, while still implying a "similar but different" character concept.
I think my explanation above about this choice is perfectly adequate. Cleric is a general term, bishop is a specific one--and one that much better matches the Japanese.

You bring up a half-way valid point about Seven Sages, and I originally had that in lower case, but I don't think including a "the" makes sense when they are first introduced. I also didn't like the abrupt change of using the name informally and then immediately formally. Video games have a long tradition of capitalizing the names of people, groups, things or places in ways that wouldn't exactly be normal English usage, and in this case, I opted to stay consistent in a similar way.

I do appreciate you taking the time to try to help. Nitpicking or not, I'm sure you are very sincere, but I honestly think you have some very important things to learn about English writing.

QuoteShadow and Chicken Knife working together on Zelda? This is probably going to be one of the best romhacks in my collection. Thanks so much for all the hard work you put into this so we can all enjoy a classic in its best possible form!
Thank you!

QuoteHas anyone 100% this version yet? The reason I ask is because I tried doing so with the previous version and could not do it due to the Chest Mini-Game absolutely refusing to give me the Heart Piece.
I've done recent test plays and never had the problem.

JKPhage

Quote from: Chicken Knife on August 20, 2022, 07:28:34 AMI do appreciate you taking the time to try to help. Nitpicking or not, I'm sure you are very sincere, but I honestly think you have some very important things to learn about English writing.

I have a degree in English and write for a living. But if you're that dead set on it being good as-is then that's your call. I'm sure some will enjoy it, but I'm very glad that it's an option myself.

ChrisHighwind

Quote from: Chicken Knife on August 19, 2022, 08:55:24 PMAs for the first person text, yep -- that is exactly the way the Japanese works. Not only does Link speak in the first person when getting items, but your responses in dialogue are all first person as well. I thought it was strange at first too because we think of Link as this solemn hero rather than a spunky kid with some things to say, but it really did grow on me through the course of the project. And keep this in mind: even if we might be partial and think that the retranslation is the best script out there, the aim isn't to make everyone happy. The aim here is to provide an accurate reflection of the Japanese game along with offering players a fresh new experience, even if it might take some adjustment. We opted to leave the original Redux script as an option for players who might feel put off by the departures of the retranslation.

Me personally, I quite enjoy the first-person dialogue. As much as Link is supposed to be someone we project ourselves onto, I can't help but envy how the Japanese text for this and BOTW gives him more personality through the flavor text and helps us get a good look at things through his perspective. The retranslation in general helps it connect more to Ocarina of Time and later games imo by mentioning the sages and the Sacred Realm, and overall gives off a less formal tone in much of the dialogue, which to me makes it that much more immersive and interesting to see what everyone's going to say.

Chicken Knife

Quote from: JKPhage on August 20, 2022, 06:00:30 PMI have a degree in English and write for a living. But if you're that dead set on it being good as-is then that's your call. I'm sure some will enjoy it, but I'm very glad that it's an option myself.
If you are the expert in English that you purport to be, you must at least concede that beginning sentences with conjunctions is allowed, even if it is not your personal preference. Yet numerous elements of your critique give me the sense that you elevate personal preferences to the level of being right or wrong. If it wasn't written exactly the way you would have written it: IE "flow out from there" vs "flow forth from it," then it's an issue worth publicly proclaiming. There was actually a reason I began so many sentences in conjunctions during the intro text: the slide show format. I wanted the sentences presenting on each slide to be as self contained as possible, yet I also wanted some flow to the overall narrative. I think it reads differently in the game than it does in a text file.

I will give you one more thing. You're right that "descending" doesn't seem to be standard usage when referring to ancestry, regardless of it being derived from the same root word. I'll update that at some point.

I do think you could potentially bring some value to projects like this in an editor role, but not with the frequency with which you elevate your personal stances on highly debatable matters to the level of objective right and wrong.

Quote from: ChrisHighwind on August 20, 2022, 07:25:13 PMMe personally, I quite enjoy the first-person dialogue. As much as Link is supposed to be someone we project ourselves onto, I can't help but envy how the Japanese text for this and BOTW gives him more personality through the flavor text and helps us get a good look at things through his perspective. The retranslation in general helps it connect more to Ocarina of Time and later games imo by mentioning the sages and the Sacred Realm, and overall gives off a less formal tone in much of the dialogue, which to me makes it that much more immersive and interesting to see what everyone's going to say.
I'm glad you are enjoying this new take on Link. We couldn't agree more!

JKPhage

Quote from: Chicken Knife on August 20, 2022, 10:12:44 PMYet numerous elements of your critique give me the sense that you elevate personal preferences to the level of being right or wrong. If it wasn't written exactly the way you would have written it: IE "flow out from there" vs "flow forth from it," then it's an issue worth publicly proclaiming.

I never said that was objectively right or wrong. I said it was uncomfortable phrasing and not how English parses in normal speech. It sounds stilted and awkward. It's not necessarily incorrect, but just as "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a full and complete sentence that is technically grammatically correct, it is not something that anyone is ever going to use in regular speech. The way you've phrased it just sounds weird and amateurish.

I'll note again, as I pointed out in my first response, that I respect the hell out of you and the others responsible for the translation, because you've all provided some fantastic work in tons of previous projects. I'm not trying to belittle you or talk down to you or anything, but these are instances where the phrasing just doesn't sound natural. They're the kind of things that any English professor would strike out in an essay you turned in and tell you it sounds bad, just the same as starting a sentence with "And." No matter what may be technically correct, professional standards of the industry will tell you not to do this because it presents a sentence fragment when taken on it's own, as it's presented in the beginning slides.

I know that a few of these things are personal taste/preference, but honestly it was all offered as small adjustments that would improve the flow and sound a lot more natural. That's the biggest thing that's always hammered home for professional writing. If you write something that doesn't sound like something you could hear yourself saying in regular conversation, it comes across as jarring to the reader. I never claimed I was 100% correct, but there were things that jumped out at me one after the other with hardly two lines between them before I even read past the prologue, so I felt like it should be brought up. Given the high quality of your past projects it seemed odd to me. If you're happy with how it reads then rock on.

I think you've cast me differently in your head than was my intent when pointing these things out, based on the kind of spiky replies you've offered. If you don't agree then you don't. I'm well aware that fan translations are "take it or leave it", so if it doesn't suit me then it doesn't suit me. I'm not demanding you change it or anything, but I am saying that it might benefit from another proofing/polish pass by a few people to maybe bring some of these things up and make sure you're not having a case of "can't see the forest for the trees" in terms of how things are written. Either way, I've said my piece and I'm not going to keep carrying on like a crazy person. If you don't like what I suggested and I don't like what the translation offers then I'm more than happy to carry on with the original version and never the twain shall meet. I'm glad that you're happy with the project and offered an alternative for those who want it.

TheMrGmk

First of all, cheers to shadow for this incredible qol hack. This is my first time playing a link to the past properly and being able to switch items with L and R may be a simple addition, but the game just flows a lot better :)
I would like to ask a question if I may: I started playing redux three days prior the new update (lol) and I've noticed the new version added a new feature in the pause menu, a in game clock that shows your play time. Since I'm using a save from the old version when I load my game the time understandably starts from 00:00 even if I already played for a dozen of hours. My question is about the chances that there's a way for me to manually edit the save file to insert my preferred play time values, from with the counter would then add up.
It's no big deal but this is a nice little feature I would like not to miss ! ^^ (sry for my bad grammar, I'm a little tired and english isn't my main language lol)
Cheers and kudos again for this great hack !

Chicken Knife

Quote from: JKPhage on August 21, 2022, 12:54:10 AMI never said that was objectively right or wrong. I said it was uncomfortable phrasing and not how English parses in normal speech. It sounds stilted and awkward. It's not necessarily incorrect, but just as "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is a full and complete sentence that is technically grammatically correct, it is not something that anyone is ever going to use in regular speech. The way you've phrased it just sounds weird and amateurish.

I'll note again, as I pointed out in my first response, that I respect the hell out of you and the others responsible for the translation, because you've all provided some fantastic work in tons of previous projects. I'm not trying to belittle you or talk down to you or anything, but these are instances where the phrasing just doesn't sound natural. They're the kind of things that any English professor would strike out in an essay you turned in and tell you it sounds bad, just the same as starting a sentence with "And." No matter what may be technically correct, professional standards of the industry will tell you not to do this because it presents a sentence fragment when taken on it's own, as it's presented in the beginning slides.

I know that a few of these things are personal taste/preference, but honestly it was all offered as small adjustments that would improve the flow and sound a lot more natural. That's the biggest thing that's always hammered home for professional writing. If you write something that doesn't sound like something you could hear yourself saying in regular conversation, it comes across as jarring to the reader. I never claimed I was 100% correct, but there were things that jumped out at me one after the other with hardly two lines between them before I even read past the prologue, so I felt like it should be brought up. Given the high quality of your past projects it seemed odd to me. If you're happy with how it reads then rock on.

I think you've cast me differently in your head than was my intent when pointing these things out, based on the kind of spiky replies you've offered. If you don't agree then you don't. I'm well aware that fan translations are "take it or leave it", so if it doesn't suit me then it doesn't suit me. I'm not demanding you change it or anything, but I am saying that it might benefit from another proofing/polish pass by a few people to maybe bring some of these things up and make sure you're not having a case of "can't see the forest for the trees" in terms of how things are written. Either way, I've said my piece and I'm not going to keep carrying on like a crazy person. If you don't like what I suggested and I don't like what the translation offers then I'm more than happy to carry on with the original version and never the twain shall meet. I'm glad that you're happy with the project and offered an alternative for those who want it.
Look, I don't want to get into an endless battle for the last word (which I can be known for,) but I have just a couple more thoughts.

If you don't like the style of this translation, if it isn't for you, that's fine. But I'd ask you or whoever is reading this to trust me when I say that we worked just as hard on refining this piece of work as we did on the Dragon Quest games. I think you received them differently because the format of the text is different. The Dragon Quest games were 98% short, independent bubbles of text. Other than a tiny number of longer in-game speeches, I didn't have to be concerned with the flow of so many connected sentences there. And for that reason, I would have naturally used less sentences beginning with conjunctions or fragments. I use those elements specifically to create variety in the flow of sentences. In no way is it from lack of care, but very deliberate. In fact, I probably spent far more time going over the same text in this Zelda project than I did on equivalent portions of text in the DQ projects. I'm just very, very sensitive to sentence variety. It makes long speeches much more intriguing to me, and my preferred style is informal. Too much formality feels stuffy, bland and archaic. It lacks spontaneity. My favorite writers are typically guys like Bob Dylan, who not only tended to be informal in his writing, but was even known to use terrible grammar on purpose. Now he has a Nobel Prize for literature! Some of the things I wrote are certainly things you wouldn't say, but I promise that they are things that I would say. I say everything aloud during the rounds of revision.

I am sorry if I came across as prickly in my responses. I probably would have received you more warmly if you had messaged me privately instead of putting out a public critique accusing me of releasing a first draft. But even so, I did consider all of your points seriously in spite of the headache given. I've now read enough affirming articles on deliberate sentence fragments & leading with conjunctions to gleefully double down further. It is clear that I will occasionally encounter the traditionalists who won't let go of the old standards of formality, but as my friend Dylan said, "the times they are a-changin'."

Powerpuffboysz

will there be a non redux version of the retranslation?

Chicken Knife

Quote from: Powerpuffboysz on August 21, 2022, 07:45:41 PMwill there be a non redux version of the retranslation?
We weren't intending to release it that way, as we felt that most fans could agree on the Redux features being genuine improvements. There are plenty of optional revert patches included for the more controversial elements.

spiffy

First of all, congratulations to ShadowOne333 and the Translation Quest team for their amazing efforts! With this retranslation (along with the Redux versions of Zelda 1 and 2), you've made a boyhood dream come true. Hats off!  :thumbsup: 

I just completed a 100% run of the game and I only found four small issues (FYI, I applied the Retranslation Redux, Kakariko Shortcut and Triforce of the Gods Subtitle patches and emulated the game using the bsnes core in RetroArch):

Speaking of shared palettes, I have a couple of minor suggestions for future enhancements. Though purely cosmetic in nature, I still don't know how feasible they would be to implement, even with so much progress being made since earlier versions, so bear with me:

• Give Princess Zelda's overworld sprite light blonde hair to match her official artwork. From my last correspondence with ShadowOne333 about... half a decade ago (dear lord, where does the time go?), Zelda's sprite shared a palette with the sprites for the blue soldiers. There's also the possibility that her 'sacrificial' sprite could also share a palette with the regular sacrificial maiden sprite from the intro and who knows what other sprites, so it might prove to be more trouble than it's worth.
  • To go even one step beyond that (and this is pure pipe dream territory), give Princess Zelda a unique overworld sprite that matches her 'peasant girl' outfit from the manual/official artwork. She'd still wear her royal outfit for the ending sequence, of course. Once again, not even sure if or how this would be possible, even with an expanded rom. You'd also need to find a good sprite artist, as well...
  • Link and his uncle seem to share a sprite palette during the ending sequence, so they can both potentially be wearing either red or blue clothes when his uncle should really be wearing green. Not a major thing I know, but it just sorta bugs me.

That's all I can think of. With or without my pedantry, this hack (along with the other Zelda Redux hacks) is a monumental achievement.

jim35

I wish I could find a playthrough of this latest version.