News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Mazinger Z is coming soon to Nintendo NES!

Started by CryinOnion, August 17, 2022, 11:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CryinOnion

Hi pleople! Long time no see :happy:

First, I would like to share with those who are waiting for news of my hack-tribute to Angry Video Game Nerd https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=33851.20 that this project is still alive despite the infrequent updates of its status. Simply, it's quite ambitious and that forces me to take breaths from time to time to avoid feeling frustrated :banghead:

That's why I've started working on another project, idea of my good friend David, aka Protopixel: Turn Capcom's classic 'Legendary Wings' into a game starring the father of Japanese giant robots (because of course, Tetsujin 28 is the "grandfather" :laugh: ).

Theorically, my friend was going to take care of the graphics redesign and I was going to dedicate myself strictly to implementing it, although I couldn't help but get "excited" and make some contributions, such as the Koji Kabuto sprite in the horizontal shooter levels ;D . Sumarizing, the project it's looking better and better and I hope to be able to share with the community the 1.0 version much sooner than you can imagine. Until then stay tuned!

DeathlesSNESs

Looks interesting, reminds me to that arcade Mazinger game but in a NES. Do you have planned to replace enemies' sprites for mechanical beasts, too, or only the playable character? It would be really cool to have a complete, Mazinger-related sprite replacement but it'd be still fun even if only the protagonist is changed. Good luck with your project :)

CryinOnion

Thanks for your interest. Phase 1 of the project is to bring it to a point where nothing breaks the feeling of playing an official game. That involves title screen, sprites of the protagonist and his attacks and any dialogue changes that are necessary. Once phase 1 (or version 1.0) is completed it would be fun to see what changes can be made to enemies and even subtle details in the scenery to make it an even more complete experience.

CryinOnion

Yo people! Do you have a minute to help me with a stylistic question?

Me and my friend and collaborator in this project have made different designs of the classic flying robot Genocider F9, to replace the middle-boss of the game.

Both are fine in their own style, but now we don't know which one will be more appealing.

I leave you a link to a poll in case you want to participate and help us to decide:

https://twitter.com/CryingOnion3/status/1564444598851829765?t=JusbysbGGn3hEHcl281cOw&s=19

Thanks in advance for your help  ;)

DeathlesSNESs

I don't have Twitter to vote, but I think I like the design B more, with the curved middle wings of A. Maybe the upper armor and shoulders of A too. Each one has better things than the other, but the anatomy, the head and face, the feet with propulsors, etc looks more accurate in B imo.

CryinOnion

Thanks for your time (and your feedback) ;) I have taken note of it and made some minor updates to option A, which in the end won the poll.

Here you can see how it has been implemented in the game:

I also had time to change the stone statues that use their head as a weapon for another classic anime enemy: Belgas V5, which is a mechanical monster capable of disassembling its parts to attack.

I have 4 days to spend full time on the project, so with a bit of luck, there will be more to show soon. Until then stay tuned ;D

CryinOnion

Time for a coffee pause (because my eyes are boiling :o ). And here some screenshots to show you how the project is progressing:

Here we have a new text font for the title screen and cut scenes.

And here to Belgas V5, which fits well with the attack pattern of this enemy, as it can disassemble its body to attack.

The bonus items have also been redesigned. And I definitely want to make changes to this section of the game, as ancient Egypt doesn't fit well with the hack's theme.

I ' m particulary proud of this enemy ;D  The original design is by my partner Protopixel, who will end up hating me for redesigning it more to my own standards. I even managed (by cheating) to give Garada K7's eyes an evil red glow :crazy:

This one may be familiar to you. It's the same one I shared a short video a few days ago, showing how it performs on screen.

And this little guy is a discarded design that was eventually replaced by Genocider F9. I quite like this mechanical monster (in the series it moved at Mach-1, which made it a dangerous and elusive enemy). Maybe I'll look into fitting him somewhere else ::)

And finally, I would like (once again) to ask your opinion on the design of this part of the scenario. That statue represents Talos, a mechanical beast that was hidden on the island of Mikene and that is discovered by the expedition led by Dr. Hell. It is inspired by the automaton of the same name whose origin dates back to Greek mythology, being considered the first "robot" mentioned in the history of the world.

There are other changes, but I prefer to share it with you when it will be well implemented in the game. See ya soon and thanks in advance for your support (and help)! ;)

Googie

This is lookin' real smooth, I like B the most, but if anything you can always have two patches for both. ;)

DeathlesSNESs

I love to see so much of progress on this hack! That's really promising.

The new Genocider F9 looks nice, the only thing that don't fully convinces me is the head (the evil smile on the other design looked better in my opinion), but just minor nitpicking.

Ironically since Mazinger and the robots technology has its roots so far in ancient Greece I can see how this theme can fit with some substancial edits. I didn't know such specific details about that Talos, though; is that the design of the robots we see Dr. Hell using to persecute Yuzo Kabuto when the story was explained? I wasn't unaware of any story linked but it, instead thinking it was "just some generic design".

Anyways, I think I like Design B more. Design A looks more robot, as it has all face covered, but I like more the more human design and the extra details (like the crest in helmet) of B.

The supersonic beast looks nice too, hopefully you'll find some spot to use it.

Just an idea I had in mind, but probably not technically possible: can a second, different sprite be used for Player 2 instead of a pallete swap? So this way you could add a different companion (Grendizer? Maybe Venus A to make it more fitting with Grean Mazinger arc?). But I understand this would require a lot of extra work to adapt the second player (including not just graphics but also weapons and stuff), if technically possible at all.

All is looking great so far regardless, and I'm very interested to play this whenever released. Congrats again for all the work spent :)

Felipefpl

Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

CryinOnion

Hey guys! First of all, I want to thank you for your support and suggestions.

Here is a video showing the current status of the project:

QuoteThis is lookin' real smooth, I like B the most, but if anything you can always have two patches for both. ;)

QuoteAnyways, I think I like Design B more. Design A looks more robot, as it has all face covered, but I like more the more human design and the extra details (like the crest in helmet) of B.

I'm happy to say that design B won by a vast majority in the polls (I say that because the design was mine >:D  :laugh: ). However, the base was design A by my friend and collaborator Protopixel and I'm waiting for him to give it a few refinements, because my shading was somewhat rudimentary. The final result will carry DNA from both of us and that's good.

Do you know? I'm used to being a lone wolf in my projects and although we are both very creative people and defend our point of view and work, so far working with him has been the fun and enriching experience I was hoping for, as we find ways to push or inspire each other to do our best.

QuoteThe new Genocider F9 looks nice, the only thing that don't fully convinces me is the head (the evil smile on the other design looked better in my opinion), but just minor nitpicking.

This design (as well as Talos) were initially very different, until talking with my colleague we started to exchange ideas and finally, they looked similar although each one with our "personal touch". As you may have noticed, my style tends to be more defined and "cartoon" and his tries to capture more details but in an abstract way. And the poll on that occasion was won by his design but obviously, I can comment on your impressions and see how he would like to add more detail to Genocider's face.

QuoteIronically since Mazinger and the robots technology has its roots so far in ancient Greece I can see how this theme can fit with some substancial edits. I didn't know such specific details about that Talos, though; is that the design of the robots we see Dr. Hell using to persecute Yuzo Kabuto when the story was explained? I wasn't unaware of any story linked but it, instead thinking it was "just some generic design".

That is correct. These are the ancient robots with which Dr. Hell attacked the expedition from which only Dr. Kabuto survived. And it is also correct that it is an extremely generic design  :laugh: , especially in the anime series of the 70's. To this day there are only a few remains in Greece of the "Colossus of Rhodes" that suggest that there were two giant statues that welcomed the island and surely, intimidated potential invaders. Later legends exaggerated the story, suggesting that this statue could move and defend the island. You can see this mythological character in the old movie "Jason and the Argonauts".

QuoteJust an idea I had in mind, but probably not technically possible: can a second, different sprite be used for Player 2 instead of a pallete swap? So this way you could add a different companion (Grendizer? Maybe Venus A to make it more fitting with Grean Mazinger arc?). But I understand this would require a lot of extra work to adapt the second player (including not just graphics but also weapons and stuff), if technically possible at all.

It would be a great addition to the game that I already fantasized about, but it would require programming skills that I unfortunately lack. If someone "wink-wink" would be interested in helping us, maybe we could take it all a step further, but for now, we'll stay within the limits set by the game code.

Finally, I don't expect to make much progress this week. I have some time that I want to spend with my son and my good friend and partner should do the same, as he has recently become a father. Until I have something interesting to show you, stay tuned ;)

Googie

I like how this is coming along, smooth progress. 👊😉👍