News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Castlevania Portrait of Ruin hacking questions

Started by Aceearly1993, August 16, 2022, 08:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aceearly1993

Is it able to adjust enemies' damage increasing ratio/formula/value/whatever in hard mode level 1/level 25 cap? I desperately want to change it to be more like the thing in OoE, although I can take care of a fresh new game level 1 cap without too much problem I found the original increasing ratio/formula/value/whatever is a bit too high and there's lots of suffering.

I checked the docs in DSVania editor but can't seem to find any useful note of it. Did anybody document the corresponding hex values tied to it?
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

FAST6191

I don't have specifics but such a thing should not be so bad as a basic intro to assembly hack.

Bust out the infinite health cheat to find where health is located in RAM.

Set breakpoint (bpw most likely but could go from a read) on that (no$gba debug has some options here, desmume likely has some things if you want to use it with GDB as of recent updates, not sure what melonds has right now).

I don't know what calculation the hard mode does (multiplication, extra value generation, uses level value in some manner to scale things, simple addition... many options for things here) but a few instructions before the eventual write to the RAM location will be the calculation for damage. You can alter things here to whatever behaviour you like, though would be easier.

I don't know what we are suggesting for assembling a handful of instructions these days -- I still have a little old kit from many years ago that is based on a now ancient version of arm-eabi from GCC, no$gba does have a light option for this one, others might use a different assembler like armips https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/635/ . If you are lucky and it is an immediate value you want changing (say add 200 wants to be add 100) then http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#armcpureference might yield something for you to go truly manual.

Aceearly1993

It seems the calculation process of hard mode enemy damage increasing ratio/formula/value/whatever is much more complex than I thought. A wide research to the values had been proceeded but no luck finding anything similar to what may look like the increased values. Dunno how did the "Rondo of Ruin" hack changes the things related to it. I tried to approach the hack author but didn't get response. Anyways thanks for heading up.
Quote"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."