Is it possible to edit upon an existing xdelta hack/mod file?

Started by captaineli24, August 16, 2022, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captaineli24

Hello, recently I've been diving into the basics of rom hacking and editing.
Recently, I've wanted to try and finish an English translation of a game that never got full translated.

In particular, Captain Rainbow for the Nintendo Wii. All (if not most) of the translating was already done in a document and put on a website for people to view by Kirameki. The whole translation never got fully incorporated though, with stuff such as the game's two endings remaining in Japanese. Supposedly, around 95% of the in-game translation was finished. I was really wanting to finish up this translation patch due to how close it was to completion.

This brings me into my question, is it possible to edit the existing patch and add on to it? I tried looking for a concrete answer on the forums, but to no avail. If anyone could tell if it is possible and how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated.
I just want to make it clear that I am NOT trying to ask anyone to help with translating the game, the document from Kirameki already thoroughly goes into depth on how the text can be incorporated. I just want to know if I will have to start over from scratch, or can I edit the existing patch from the last version of the patch released?
Hopefully this doesn't come off as rude or anything, just wanted to make a few things clear.

Zynk

Quote from: captaineli24 on August 16, 2022, 02:14:13 PMThis brings me into my question, is it possible to edit the existing patch and add on to it? I tried looking for a concrete answer on the forums, but to no avail. If anyone could tell if it is possible and how to do it, that would be greatly appreciated.
You can, but you should not overwrite the existing patch. Instead, you should create an Addendum patch. The patch should only contain your work and the base ROM must be the prepatched original translation.

This is found in the Translation Submission Form:
QuoteAddendum: This is for translation projects that fix bugs, or improve upon an existing translation project released from another author/s. The resulting patch is intended to also be a translation. Patches should contain addendum work only unless it is not possible due to the technical requirements of the patch (such as patches targeting a different ROM). The original work the hack is an addendum to should be linked in the description (The original hack must be on the site also!). Significant improvements that convert an unfinished translation to a fully playable translation are exempt and may be submitted under the Fully Playable category.

captaineli24

Quote from: Zynk on August 16, 2022, 08:21:57 PMYou can, but you should not overwrite the existing patch. Instead, you should create an Addendum patch. The patch should only contain your work and the base ROM must be the prepatched original translation.
But if I patched over the existing translation, wouldn't all the code be replaced? Like it would be overwritten with my patch, which would not contain everything.
Sorry, just need some clarification.

FAST6191

It is more of a courtesy thing. People start grabbing other people's patches, saying they are the ultimate version (which can be debatable) and whatnot and we get drama probably not too long after with hurt feelings, accusations of stolen work and whatever else (not always, any hack I have released and likely ever will I don't much care what happens down the line).
If they have to patch the base game to the existing hack and then do another to that newly patched game for your hack then that avoids such problems. It is an annoyance and might even be redundant in some aspects, possibly including for reasons you say (though in this case what the base patch changes and what your additions are might not amount to a total overwrite, even more so if it is this is for the wii and you are targetting individual files rather than iso*).

*generally advised to do files for the wii in case someone has one of the various flavours of scrubbed or WBFS and does not want to download or regenerate (there are some nice tools for it) the Scene/stock release, to say nothing of stock Wii isos being encrypted as well which only makes patch sizes huge compared to what they need to be.

There is a slim exception if it is technically relevant, you had to tweak the existing hack in some minor way (say it added new code but you wanted to use the extra space it used for something, you move the alteration to a new location which might well just involve editing pointers) but would still be tricky, is somewhat unrelated (make a translation but include someone else's always run patch, preferably with at the very least a nod in the readme but permission would be better) or the like.

MysticLord

Quote from: captaineli24 on August 17, 2022, 01:07:16 PMBut if I patched over the existing translation, wouldn't all the code be replaced? Like it would be overwritten with my patch, which would not contain everything.
Sorry, just need some clarification.
I think what you mean is "how do I add stuff to a patch when that patch of this type". If that's what you mean, your best bet is to patch a (correct) rom with that patch, then edit the rom, then make a new patch.

If you make a new patch against the (correct) vanilla rom, you should credit everyone who was credited for that patch and link to it. There's probably nothing the author of that original patch can do without people on the internet conspicuously laughing at them because everything here is a derivative work, but to smooth ruffled feathers and keep content flowing it pays to comply with reasonable requests.

If you make a new patch against the patched rom you used as a base, then you have an addendum patch. I haven't had coffee yet so I can't tell you if patching over the other users patch won't create issues, especially if they're different types of patches.