News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

ROM Hacks: Rockman Mega World Gets a Tune-Up

Started by RHDNBot, November 03, 2022, 09:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Josephine Lithius

Rockman Mega World (aka "Mega Man: The Wily Wars") is a compilation of the first three games in the "Classic" series as well as a fourth, unlockable game: Wily Tower.  Minakuchi Engineering – the same people responsible for the Game Boy Rockman World games and various other projects from the 90s – rewrote the games from the ground up, making sure to keep the engine as faithful to the source material as possible.  For the most part, they did a magnificent job!  There's a little slowdown here... some unexpected enemy behavior there...  There's even some graphical inconsistency in places. But, for the most part, this complete rewrite of the games is great.  There is, however, always room for improvement.  At least, as far as one person is concerned.

There have been hacks to enable sliding in all three games, hacks to make the default weapon faster, hacks that allow save games to work, and hacks that let players jump right into Wily Tower.  Yet, seemingly no one had done any research into two particular things that annoyed the author:
* Enemies have lingering invulnerability which causes shots to "miss".
* Multi-projectile weapons have a noticeable delay before they can be fired again.
With a little nudge from a few interested parties, occasional ROM hacker "Josephine Lithius" took it upon themselves to look into the matter first-hand.  And... this ROM hack are the results of that research!

"Rockman Mega World Fixer Upper" removes the I-Frames from minor enemies and mini-bosses and removes the forced delay between shots for a number of weapons.  This small-but-significant change results in faster gameplay and a more fluid experience.  It may not solve every problem the game has, but it's definitely a step in the right direction – at least for people who love to button-mash!

Download now and enjoy a refreshed and more responsive Rockman Mega World, today!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Red Soul

Hopefully this work of art here is compatible with the other patches mentioned to create a truly faithful experience.

jim35

I would love to see someone do a snes version of both the wily wars and the sequel wars if they wanted too.

KevvyLava

What always killed me about this port was how slooooow Mega Man's bullets go. It makes the game feel kiddy.

EvilJagaGenius

Quote from: RHDNBot on November 03, 2022, 09:52:39 PMThere have been hacks to enable sliding in all three games, hacks to make the default weapon faster, hacks that allow save games to work, and hacks that let players jump right into Wily Tower.  Yet, seemingly no one had done any research into two particular things that annoyed the author:
* Enemies have lingering invulnerability which causes shots to "miss".
* Multi-projectile weapons have a noticeable delay before they can be fired again.

Question, did you look into the Classic Fluency hack at all?  I've mentioned it a couple of times on the forums here, it's not hosted on RHDN but it's another tune-up hack for Wily Wars, and well documented.  I've tried adapting some of it to the Retro-bit ROM... I need to upload stuff here.  Here's the Classic Fluency link:  http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=8962

But it has tweaks for other stuff like jump height, lemon shot speed, reducing the boss invulnerability frames.  It's good stuff and I'm glad to see your hack addresses a lot of the same issues for the Retro-bit ROM, so people can better enjoy that version with its reduced slowdown.  Thanks for your work so far!
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Josephine Lithius

Quote from: Red Soul on November 03, 2022, 11:33:36 PMHopefully this work of art here is compatible with the other patches mentioned to create a truly faithful experience.
From what I've been told, my patch works with pretty much every other patch out there.  Just as long as a given patch changes values rather than completely rearranging the data, it should work.

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on November 05, 2022, 12:01:53 PMQuestion, did you look into the Classic Fluency hack at all?  I've mentioned it a couple of times on the forums here, it's not hosted on RHDN but it's another tune-up hack for Wily Wars, and well documented.  I've tried adapting some of it to the Retro-bit ROM... I need to upload stuff here.  Here's the Classic Fluency link:  http://acmlm.kafuka.org/board/thread.php?id=8962

But it has tweaks for other stuff like jump height, lemon shot speed, reducing the boss invulnerability frames.  It's good stuff and I'm glad to see your hack addresses a lot of the same issues for the Retro-bit ROM, so people can better enjoy that version with its reduced slowdown.  Thanks for your work so far!
I was not at all aware of this particular patch.  It seems like Synthetekh had a lot fo the same thoughts I did, but four years earlier.  Wonder why they didn't share it here? (Probably a case of "didn't want to" or "wasn't satisfied with it".)  Still, some of what was done goes beyond the scope of my changes, such as reducing timers on some screens, extending them on others, and adjusting the jump height.  Though, now that all of that's been brought to my attention... yeah, there's a few things I'd love to tinker with, s'more, maybe.

Unleash the Beast (potential project goals)
Spoiler
  • Rock does have a very slightly smaller jump height, in this game.
  • Rock lands about 4 frames earlier than he should from a full height jump.
  • The delay before he takes a step needs to be reduced by 3.
  • His run speed is a little too fast.
  • His slide recovery animation shouldn't put him into a sidle / half-step when left or right is held.
  • Fire Storm's rotating shield should be "spammable" under certain circumstances.
[close]
... but beyond some of that, it seems like Synthetekh might be pushing into "Gameplay+" territory with things like opening the menu while projectiles are on, being able to use the Buster while out of Rush energy, and so forth.  I dunno.  We definitely have similar goals, but I think we have different scopes.  (:

Bloo42

Honestly baffles me how much of a downgrade this port was from the NES games. I'll definitely be trying this next time I want to replay 1-3, looks like some amazing work you've done here to make playing this version worth it.