Translations: Baroque available in English for the first time!

Started by RHDNBot, July 26, 2022, 02:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: T92

BAROQUE is a dungeon-crawler RPG with rogue-like elements developed by Sting Entertainment.

For the first time available in English.

Patch link:
 https://mega.nz/file/AF1ARLAQ#NbPsr-z4VSfD0sh6XSHnEFX7IJivSBhjqB6VfPaCa0s

Want to report a bug or leave feedback?
Join the Discord server:

https://discord.gg/n9vp4yhs5r

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

treos

i'm confused...isn't the ps2 game of the same title a port of the ps1 game? if so...this game has been in english for 14 years as the ps2 version came out in 2008.

CSmith327

Quote from: treos on July 26, 2022, 06:15:02 PMi'm confused...isn't the ps2 game of the same title a port of the ps1 game? if so...this game has been in english for 14 years as the ps2 version came out in 2008.

The ps2 and wii versions of the game are completely different than the original. Instead of a port it's a little more like a remake. In the ps2 version it's been changed to third person, and fans complained so much that in the wii version they changed it back to first. This psx one is a port of the original saturn version with slightly decreased difficulty. The psx one is labeled as special edition and has 32 floors as opposed to the 21 in the saturn one. There's also a character called the collector that helps store items for you so you don't lose them when you die. Honestly this translation is probably the best way to play the game. If you play this using DuckStation and upscale it to at least 1080p, have some anisotropic filtering, and use polygonal perspective correction thing then it'll look even better than the Switch version.

gamingcat02261991

I remember a similar port for Wii, albeit action-based according to a Nintendo Power preview I once saw...

Bonesy

The PS2 version is a remaster/a bunch of stuff is changed around. The PS1 version is still worth playing, I recently watched someone stream a bunch of it and it looks really neat.

treos

Quote from: Bonesy on July 26, 2022, 11:01:26 PMThe PS2 version is a remaster/a bunch of stuff is changed around. The PS1 version is still worth playing, I recently watched someone stream a bunch of it and it looks really neat.

ah, ok.

KingMike

"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Bonesy

I believe the Wii version is based largely upon the PS2 version.

Aganar

Fantastic work! I had spent some time with the Japanese PS1 rom, but couldn't get very far due to not being able to understand what was going on. I then grabbed the Wii version sometime later, but the remake graphics just killed the atmosphere, and I never finished it. I feel like now with a proper PS1 rom translation, I will.

This in-depth Baroque fansite goes into quite a bit of detail about why they think the original Saturn version is superior to the PS1 version, so it's a shame no one has tried doing that yet. But this will be worlds beyond the PS2/Wii version for sure.

Does anyone know why the patch itself is not being uploaded to Romhacking.net? A random MEGA link doesn't feel very permanent for posterity.

KingMike

The most likely reason is that there's a 30MB limit.
Seems that patches for CD-based games often go over that.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

goldenband

Quote from: Aganar on July 27, 2022, 08:49:09 PMThis in-depth Baroque fansite goes into quite a bit of detail about why they think the original Saturn version is superior to the PS1 version, so it's a shame no one has tried doing that yet.
Someone has, but the text is abbreviated to a pretty severe degree (as the authors acknowledge), which may affect your enjoyment of the game in its current state.

CSmith327

Well darn after seeing the comparisons on the fansite it's clear the saturn version is superior. It's probably a lot more challenging than the psx one and it doesn't have the extra floors from the psx one, but I'd love to be able to check out both of them. I've got this one on my psp via eboot. Maybe someone will make a proper patch for the saturn original but I doubt it.

goldenband

Quote from: CSmith327 on July 30, 2022, 03:03:52 PMMaybe someone will make a proper patch for the saturn original but I doubt it.
I think if there's a big difference between the PlayStation and Saturn fan translations, that will stick in the craw of Saturn fans/hackers/devs enough that they'll address the issue -- especially if the game itself is better on Saturn, since that's a feather in the system's cap. Might take a while, though!

Antonio Nero