Zelda II (NES) Game Genie Codes - One New Discovery Found

Started by SMB2J-2Q, August 16, 2022, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMB2J-2Q

I thought that Tony Hedstrom's advice for getting proper Game Genie codes for Zelda II: The Adventure of Link was awesome.
https://www.romhacking.net/documents/440/

Everyone knows the one code he found -- SZUTYUSE, for infinite health, which he said was better than the one Galoob published in its official Game Genie NES codebook. That particular code, he said, also had the side effect of giving infinite health to some bosses. He also found others like SXESIKSE, which prevents Link from losing EXP when colliding with any enemy who does so (cf. Tinsuits, Small Horseheads, Mobys, Moas).

However, I also used it to get one code he did not yet submit: SXVOSOSE, which prevents Link from losing any magic when he collides with the Skull Bubbles that normally take magic away from him when hit by them. I did the usual routine of using FCEUX's debugger mode, typed "0773" in the RAM address (0773 being the RAM address for magic consumption/addition) and made a write breakpoint for it, so that when Link collided with a Skull Bubble, it would pause and bring up the ROM address where magic is subtracted when Link collided with this enemy, which in this case is at $99ED. I then wrote down the details into the code maker, locked in the resulting Game Genie code, and voila... no more magic lost after collision with the Skull Bubble!

However, for true infinite magic you want to use SXNASSSE, as it is this code that allows you to keep your magic after casting any spell.

~Ben

Tony H

Good job on finding the new code.  Always exciting when you make a new Game Genie code, and FCEUX is a fantastic tool for making them.
The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

SMB2J-2Q

Quote from: Tony H on August 17, 2022, 05:26:11 PMGood job on finding the new code.  Always exciting when you make a new Game Genie code, and FCEUX is a fantastic tool for making them.
Tony,

Thank you and glad to hear from you!

~Ben