News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[NES] BattleToads (U) - bugfix

Started by Ti_, July 25, 2015, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowOne333

Holy shit.
I am a huge improvement hacks fan (as you can tell by some of my contr.), and Ild LOVE to play this!
Are there any IPS available or are there still some bugs yet to be fixed?

NiO

this is looking cool, would be nice to patch the game to play it without glitches

Ti_

29) added boss theme music for Big Blag.
30) you can't longer hold other player when swim.
31) fixed electricity glitch, when player taken by other receive immunity.
32) on restart level electricity state also cleared.
33) no more rat race rat kill bug.

I'm think will upload patch soon.

DeadMark

Hello Ti, I am playing your bugfix hack recently and I wanna say it is pretty awesome ! I always want a bugfixed version of battletoads, because it is my favourite game, and I get it just before my birthday ! And now I just want to say about a few more fixes, that I would like to see in version 1.1 (if this is gonna happening):

1. I don't know if this is a bug, but robots in level 2 can be killed in 1 strike from the wall (even the last one, that take about 6 strikes).
2. There are a shortcut in the last segments of Snake level, when you can jump from the most difficult snake in to the exit, instead of jumping down and dodging some more snakes and spikes.
3. You can still avoid the wheel in level 9.
4. Rockets sometimes don't kill when I was at the bottom of the screen.
5. On the Ice level there are shortcut, where you can go down instead of going up and dodging walls and moving spike.
6. You can still corner Big Blag and kill him VERY easily (maybe it isn't bug, but I would like to see hard boss, not a punch toy  :)).
7. Robo Manus don't appear if you don't jump.
8. On the last level, if you don't jump just before the dark queen, you can fall down (but this doesn't really matter, because you still are teleporting on the last boss fight).
9. I know that there is now 1 pixel moving left-right from sitting, but I suggest to remove it completely, not like in Battletoads and Double Dragon.

I think if some of this bugs can be fixed, it is gonna be just a perfect version )   

P.S. And also I would like to see an unused theme in surf level in replace of original, or after Big Blag (Yes, it isn't bug, but still... this song is good, and I would like to hear it in the game more than surf theme on 2 levels).

Ti_

Quote from: DeadMark on January 17, 2016, 05:27:17 AM
1. I don't know if this is a bug, but robots in level 2 can be killed in 1 strike from the wall (even the last one, that take about 6 strikes).
2. There are a shortcut in the last segments of Snake level, when you can jump from the most difficult snake in to the exit, instead of jumping down and dodging some more snakes and spikes.
3. You can still avoid the wheel in level 9.
4. Rockets sometimes don't kill when I was at the bottom of the screen.
5. On the Ice level there are shortcut, where you can go down instead of going up and dodging walls and moving spike.
6. You can still corner Big Blag and kill him VERY easily (maybe it isn't bug, but I would like to see hard boss, not a punch toy  :)).
7. Robo Manus don't appear if you don't jump.
8. On the last level, if you don't jump just before the dark queen, you can fall down (but this doesn't really matter, because you still are teleporting on the last boss fight).
9. I know that there is now 1 pixel moving left-right from sitting, but I suggest to remove it completely, not like in Battletoads and Double Dragon.

I think if some of this bugs can be fixed, it is gonna be just a perfect version )   

P.S. And also I would like to see an unused theme in surf level in replace of original, or after Big Blag (Yes, it isn't bug, but still... this song is good, and I would like to hear it in the game more than surf theme on 2 levels).
1) feature?
2) I don't think it's necessary to fix this.
3) first wheel in water section? or any wheel?
4) OK.
5) can you give link to video?
6) improved in 'BT Rematch'.  "Bugfix" keeps closer to original.
7) requires for bugfix. (see 'E' version).
8) need video too.
9) for someone it's a bug, and for others it's a feature; we don't actually know.

DeadMark

Quote from: Ti_ on January 24, 2016, 08:25:26 AM
1) feature?
2) I don't think it's necessary to fix this.
3) first wheel in water section? or any wheel?
4) OK.
5) can you give link to video?
6) improved in 'BT Rematch'.  "Bugfix" keeps closer to original.
7) requires for bugfix. (see 'E' version).
8) need video too.
9) for someone it's a bug, and for others it's a feature; we don't actually know.

BUG 8 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvV0DE1itWA (6:10).
BUG 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHmI6YH_hE (2:52 - you can go down instead of going up (after flash the door at the level end is open and you can just simply walk there from down segment).
BUG 2 - I don't remember this correctly,maybe I am wrong, but on Sega Genesis Version this shortcut is almost impossible to do. (But yeah, that was done not by Rare, maybe Arc System Works team think that was bug.)
BUG 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob9gD2s7PaI (2:34).
BUG 9 - That bug wasn't on Sega, Snes (Battlemaniacs) - and after it is just 1 pixel now, it can be used only on Ice level.

And also, what about making Battletoads - Dark Queen Rematch with it's original difficulty, features, dragons, unused music and all bugfixes (and maybe more hardcore version of jumping section in level 3 and mine section in level 5 (from E.version). This can be REALLY AWESOME !

Well, and about Big Blag - Well,maybe it is a feature, but it is bug on my opinion (or stupid feature). I think if Battletoad just drop the stick off the screen like it is always do on every boss fight (only expect is the Big Blag) - that gonna be better.  Maybe it is bug, because in Battletoads and Double Dragon there are no stick in Boss Fights at all, in E. version not all bugs was fixed (only major part of them),Japan Version done not by Rare, and sega version was done not by Rare too, and maybe New Developers think that's the feature (Rare did only Battletoads in Ragnarok World and Battletoads (Game Boy Exclusive),BT AND DD (All versions),Battlemaniacs (SNES), and Battletoads (Arcade).

Goros Lair

Dear Ti_, first of all, I hope everything cand be doing fine to you!

Well, I've recently detected a bug in your hack.

BUG (Terra Tubes Level)
1 player mode (as Zitz)
When we play alone as Zitz, in the begining of the level and right after to defeat the first robot, the screen doesn't pull up the bottom and it is created a type of abyss and, when we go forward, the toad dies. Everything stays normal again as soon as Zitz dies.

Remarks: This doesn't happen in the modes bellow:
1 player mode (as Rash)
2 players mode

Not a bug, but an improvement (increasing the difficult):

Check Points (2 players mode)
Is it possible to do the following (like Battletoads in Battlemaniacs - SNES) only pass to the other check point when the two toads complete it perfectly. If one die and the other arrives to the check point, both return to the begining of the previous check point.

The tower (stick)
when holding the stick (hanged and waiting for the big cloud), the toads chests/vocal sacs are green... to fix them to yellow

Well, that's all for now!

Thanks.

nesrocks

Deadmark your #8 bug sounds more like a quick fix they did so that you wouldn't die.
I agree #1 is a feature, not a bug. The same as booting an enemy that's on the ground is a hit kill.
About #4 a similar bug happens on stage 3. Some of the walls that rocket mice throw at you don't kill you if you're standing all the way to the right of the screen.
#6 is not a bug. Otherwise the fight would be too difficult. When you don't corner him he can be a pain sometimes. Not much so for experienced players though, but Ti_'s hack is just bugfixes.

John Enigma

This project is still ongoing, right?

Ti_

I will update if several serious bugs will be found.  Don't want update for now.

Goros Lair

Ragnarok's Canyon:
1) Holes - Would it be possible the toads to die if they fall down into the holes created by the Psyko-pigs or, at least, to loose some energy squares? See Below, please:

2) Dragons # 01 - Would it be possible to create a command in which we could (when riding) dismount / get down from the dragons? E.g.: Down + Jump + Attack!
3) Dragons # 02 - when we ride them until the Boss Walker, a way for they to disappear from the screen (same as in Sega Genesis / Mega Drive version), to justify they do not appear in the frontal screen of the Boss Walker.

Above, what happened to the Dragon? Where is it?

Wookie Hole
1) Swords (Mutant Raven's Beak, indeed) - The Mutant Raven's Beak/Claw/Sword (as the toads do not have a weapon in the 2nd level), should have the same color of the weapons/beaks... so, what about give the same color of the beaks to the weapons/swords? But this should only be applied (if it's possible) to the MUTANT RAVENS (bigger beaks) and not to the Ravens (smaller/normal beaks);

Suggestion # 01 (orange color to both)

Suggestion # 02 (White color to both)

2) Shadows (There's no need / that's an error) – Remarks: this was fixed on Terra Tubes Level when the toads use the gyrocopter / propeller;

As you can see, in Terra Tubes Level, there's no shadow (it was fixed, I figure out)

Surf City
1) There's an unused music in Battletoads (Just listen it at the attached file: "Bt_unesed.ogg") -> https://tcrf.net/index.php?title=File%3ABt-unused.ogg or through here -> https://tcrf.net/Battletoads_(NES). It would be awesome if you activate it for Surf City and the other/traditional one you keep to Terra Tubes (under these conditions we'd never have shared music again). Well, in my opinion, I believe it matches almost perfectly with Surf City and, under these conditions, we wouldn't have repeated music in the game.

Karnath's Lair:
1) To fix the purple color in the star-spikes in the 2nd level;

2) Snake Riding in 2 players (disable the feature for one grab/hold the other player when riding the snakes);

Terra Tubes:

1) Steel Beaks (The Rubber Ducks), if we hit them and leave them with their heads to down and if we walk with the toads from one border to the other of the screen, they disappear when we go back to see them;

2) One Player (as Zitz), to fix the bug that creates a type of abyss (the screen doesn't pull the botton to up part of the next floor, forcing Zitz to die... then, after Zitz death, everything gets back to normal (It always happen playing alone with Zitz and as soon as we start/continue the beginning of Terra Tubes); Remarks: playing 1Player as Rash or 2 players, this doesn't occur.

Below, the toad (Zitz) dies when try to go to the floor (Your Hack):

Now (with the original rom), the screen pulls the floor to up, and Zitz goes (he doesn't die) ahead through the level:

The Revolution (The Tower)
1) To fix the colors of the chest/vocal sacs of the toads;

2) To use the right color of Dark Queen (same as in the beginning, with Big Blag and Robo-Manus)

3) Y Coordinate wrongly applied to HORNHEAD (Rhyno) after receive a beat/hit (it seems to fly)

Continue Screen x Plan Map
1) If we start the game in 2 players mode, and one player dies, he can starts in the next or in any level he might be interested, become more comfortable (that's a bothering cheat) to unable players to be "able" to be beat the game. Example: Both players arrived to the Turbo Tunnel, and one player isn't able to beat the level. He leaves the toad dying, wait for the title of the screen to finish. Then, the other player beats the Turbo Tunnel and, in the Plan Map of the next level (Arctic Cavern, he can enter and play it normally).

Check Points + Warp Zones (Improvement)
1) Return to the original condition the Check Points! If one bike matches the check and the other not, both have to restart the check point, and not start in the next one. Keep the "bug".no longer can break game in turbo tunnel, if die on bike without taking checkpoint. (Return to The original, keep the bug = same as in Battletoads in Battlemaniacs / SNES).

2) Remove all Warp Zones to keep the game in a so hard challenge;

3) Rat Race - only with the two players at the bottom to beat the bomb, I'm meaning: Instead of one toad runs and the other keeps hiting the rat and fall down normally, without efforts, why not enable or to create a condition similar to Intruder Excluder (whole level), in which both players have to arrive together? When we are going up intruder excluder, that player that stays at the bottom and cannot arrive to the platform, dies... in the other hands, for Rat Race, if the first toad do not wait for the second one, he would die firstly... two players together at the bottom (insane difficult, I believe LOL... but it's just and idea, but for the cattegory improvement.

Zitz Hand / Gauntlet
I believe it'll be necessary some extra hard work, but I'm writing this because if you take a look at pimple's spike bracelet and Zitz's right gauntlet, the details are in white. But it'll be awesome if it's possible to change them.

BIG BLAG X ROBO-MANUS (Intro)
Incorrect attributes colors

Original                     

Suggestion

For a while, thanks a lot for the attention and have a nice and great day!

Regards,

Goro's Lair

MathUser2929

The dragons thing is a continuity error, not a bug. Also, don't remove the warps. He's probably the only guy that things Battletoads is too easy. It's also not a bug.

KingMike

That big post is more of a hack suggestion than a bugfix, but the last image: do you know about the color limitations of the NES? Background color plus 3 colors for each 16x16 pixel block. Most of those errors are because the original artist obviously didn't have the 16x16 boundaries in mind.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MathUser2929

The color limitation can be gotten around with work. You simply just stack another sprite on top of another. It's what capcom did for megamans head and tiny toons did that for the character face portraits in tiny toon adventures.

Goros Lair

Hey people. I know this is a too old topic and sorry for bringing it to the top again, please. But this message is to those ones that want the rom with this hack (all bugs fixed) + the unused song (enabled on the Surf City stage, replacing the original one). Under these conditions, this rom that I've got has different songs to each stage. And nor more shared songs (Surf City and Terra Tubes).

This is the unused song -> https://youtu.be/jkWkA6DWT9U

Those ones that want a copy of it, just send me a PM, ok (it's free)?