News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Hacking a DS game font for translation

Started by HylianHero, June 28, 2022, 08:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HylianHero

Hello everyone! I recently started a personal project to translate Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love to Brazilian Portuguese. There's already an english translation (very well done, I must say) that is helping me with many things in this project. I managed to translate almost all of the text of the first chapter, but there are some issues bothering me. First, I know nothing about graphics hacking, so I don't know how to do a translation of the game's title screen and some menu options. The other thing is an issue with the game's font. In portuguese, we have some punctuation to alter a vowel sound like, é, ô, ã, and so on. These aren't present in the game's font, so I would like some help to find a way to add these to the font file, or some other way to replace any unused character. I even thought about chosing a useless character and alter it's in game graphic to look like the ones I need.

Thanks in advance

FAST6191

Those are usually the methods to do things as adding new is frequently annoying.

DS games, especially those made by Nintendo, do have a font format called NTFR for which there are many tools.
I cover a bit in https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=14708.0. and also do graphics for that matter (it being a guide to GBA and DS hacking)
That said it could just as easily be a custom font format. In which case you will want a very adaptable tile editor as the tiles can be any size, I usually then suggest https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/818/ for that sort of thing.

Title screen hacking is for many its own area of hacking as devs will often go out of their way to make a nice one. I generally see it more as a combo of graphics and text based hacking, and if it is just translation then you will probably want to keep any animations already done. Crystaltile2 then doing the graphics part. You can usually tell what is graphics and what is text by how fancy the graphics are as the fancier stuff will tend to be graphical while anything basic like press start to play will tend to be more text.

HylianHero

Hey, tahnks for the reply! I'll take a look at your guide as soon as I can. I tried messing a bit with crystaltiles, but all I found was some messy pixels. Guss I didn't open the right file.
Anyway, I'll keep trying after I read your guide. Thanks a lot