Translations: TM Network - Live in Power Bowl Translation Released

Started by RHDNBot, June 18, 2022, 10:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

TM Network - Live in Power Bowl is a super obscure Famicom point and click adventure game. It can be best described as a scifi meets J-Pop where members of the band TM Network help you save the future of humanity.

filler discovered this game some time ago and found it so interesting, that he translated it. Having never really worked together on a project, Pennywise agreed to hack the game for him and the rest history. Special thanks to SnowyAria, who helped finish the translation and also provided a spoiler-free English walkthrough of the game, which is included with the translation.

Enjoy this slice of obscure J-Pop gaming history.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Pennywise

I have to release an update for an issue with the player name. Due to the nature of the game, you can't use any prior savestates and have to start fresh again. But the game is only a few hours long, so it's not that big of a deal.

arromdee

I am having trouble applying this patch.

I had to fix my header, which didn't match the one shown at dat-o-matic.  But even after fixing that I still get:

/home/arromdee/roms/nes/fan translations% ucon64 --crc TM*.nes
uCON64 2.2.1 UNIX (Linux) 1999-2020
Uses code from various people. See 'developers.html' for more!
uCON64 may be freely distributed under the terms of the GNU Public License

/home/arromdee/roms/Nintendo - Nintendo Entertainment System (20220422)/fan translations/TM Network - Live in Power Bowl (Japan).nes
Checksum (CRC32): 0x69565f13

/home/arromdee/roms/nes/fan translations% flips -a /tmp/*/TM*bps TM*.nes a.nes
This patch is not intended for this ROM. Expected checksum 43C55781, got D2EFBD29.

ucon64 is reporting the checksum without header and flips is reporting the checksum with header, and both of these match the No-Intro dat-o-matic page, but the patch expects something else.

Pennywise

I find NES headers to be annoying with the upgrade to the iNES 2.0 format. Damned if I use the latest version and damned if I use a ROM with an older header. To make matters worse, some idiot uploaded a bunch of no-intro ROMs with the wrong iNES 2.0 headers. That's why I recommend that people just use the site's online ROM patching tool for convenience.

Anyhow, the base ROM's header is 4E 45 53 1A 08 10 40.

arromdee

That's only 7 bytes, and it matches the first 7 bytes of my ROM anyway.

arromdee

If anyone else is having this problem, the header required by the patch is those 7 bytes, followed by nine 00 bytes.