News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

ROM Hacks: Dr. Garfield (NES) updated

Started by RHDNBot, June 09, 2022, 12:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: pangenttech

The viral (and anti-viral) hit puzzle game returns on NES!

Dr. Garfield will be familiar to anyone who's ever played Nintendo's Dr. Mario. But this is no mere graphics hack. A significant amount of recoding was done to restore the game to its full intended functionality and provide a very different experience.

If you're a fan of games like Dr. Mario (and Tetris), and a fan of America's favorite cartoon cat, you'll want to check out this new and improved version.

The game first became popular in August 2020 after animator LumpyTouch released a strange horror parody of the original prototype restoration by Pangent Technologies. Further coding was done by bogaabogaa and KasumiDirect.

This release features music arranged and coded by Amilgi and StudsX. You'll hear the Garfield and Friends theme "Friends Are There," the "Buddy Bears" theme, and the Amiga "Big Fat Hairy Deal" theme, plus a remix.

Graphics for the 2-player mode have also been overhauled, featuring Jon and Odie. You can also experience the previously forbidden Nermal Mode.

And you can get an all-star "16-bit" experience using the Mesen emulator, with a newly overhauled HDPack which provides more colorful (and SNES-like) graphics.

Play Dr. Garfield on NES, Mesen HDPacks, HTML5, Game Boy, and Game Boy Color.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Dwedit

Very interesting that the Prototype version of the game was used just to get Liz in there!
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Uncle_Jo

Quote from: Dwedit on June 14, 2022, 02:29:35 AM
Very interesting that the Prototype version of the game was used just to get Liz in there!

Yeah I've been trying to patch my Dr. Mario rom. lol.

My nieces love Garfield and Dr. Mario so I've been trying to get this thing going.

I figured it out now. Read the readme. Derp!

ArugulaZ

It's United Feature Syndicate, not King Feature Syndicate (which is a competing publisher). Not that it matters now, as Garfield is owned by Paramount Global.

Hamtaro126

I really enjoyed this hack, Great work on hacking a prototype that no-one cared to hack or disassemble (the only exception is the people on TCRF...), Hope you have a good day.  ;)
I Hath Returned...

BTW My username is not Hamtaro129. THAT IS WRONG, Please correct immediately or I will try to correct it myself!

pangenttech

Quote from: ArugulaZ on June 26, 2022, 01:37:40 PMIt's United Feature Syndicate, not King Feature Syndicate (which is a competing publisher).

Surprised we made that error. (It's correct in our Week of Garfield Update.) Will fix it in the next update.