ROM Hacks: Mario Kart Super Circuit Remastered In-Game!

Started by RHDNBot, June 03, 2022, 02:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: RunTheCoins

So people were saying how they didn't hear much of a difference of the hack "Mario Kart Super Circuit Sound Improvement" and how it was barely noticeable. Well the problem was that the previous release just fixed the GBA's triangle waves, that only can do so much and it was buggy at times.

Well, both problems are fixed and actually improved the mix rate using the game's decomp : https://github.com/jellees/mksc

This mod is now compatible with other hacks, also has the fixed triangle wave patch that was made earlier built-in so it will NOT be an issue patching anymore! Please contact the author with any issues and they will attempt to fix it as soon as possible!

UPDATE : Also added the high quality samples that were found last year, so this is a complete improvement!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Kirizame

Is this not apparent on emulators or something? Trying with MGBA and got both vanilla and patched running side by side. I can hear absolutely 0 difference on my end.
No offense of course! Just wondering if I've got something wrong on my end.

Pethronos

Hi!! Thanks for updating your patch.

I used to combine "Original Sunset Wilds title card & sprites" by SCD, "Better Colors" by NDependent and "Localized Voices" by Emilianomario27 to create my definitive version of MKSC.

I have noticed that patching your hack and Localized Voices in different orders result in different CRC32, what makes me think that the patches affect each other.

Which patching order would you reccomend?? Thanks in advance mate!!

RunTheCoins

I actually suggest patching my hack last, though it might not match the checksource header, it should work completely fine, I've tested with the localization patch.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: Pethronos on June 03, 2022, 08:33:03 AM
I used to combine "Original Sunset Wilds title card & sprites" by SCD, "Better Colors" by NDependent and "Localized Voices" by Emilianomario27 to create my definitive version of MKSC.

Now all that Super Circuit needs is a proper color restoration hack.
Or rather, a proper colour desaturation one, since Super Circuit doesn't have an SNES counterpart.
Better Colors only does the characters, but the whole game itself (including stages and menus) need their palettes modified too.

Hopefully one day we can see that alongside this patch and the ones recommended by Pethronos :D

RunTheCoins

I'd agree, it would be nice to see all of the tracks look better in color though track edits are just being worked on recently, that's gonna be cool though when it happens

Pethronos

Quote from: ShadowOne333 on June 03, 2022, 02:32:22 PM
Now all that Super Circuit needs is a proper color restoration hack.
Or rather, a proper colour desaturation one, since Super Circuit doesn't have an SNES counterpart.
Better Colors only does the characters, but the whole game itself (including stages and menus) need their palettes modified too.

Hopefully one day we can see that alongside this patch and the ones recommended by Pethronos :D

Glad to see you've realised I'm THE RHDN Library myself hahaha. Kidding aside, I agree, it'd be nice a proper colour desaturation or restoration ("destoration?" XD), as you rightly said.

RunTheCoins

Quote from: Kirizame on June 03, 2022, 04:55:49 AM
Is this not apparent on emulators or something? Trying with MGBA and got both vanilla and patched running side by side. I can hear absolutely 0 difference on my end.
No offense of course! Just wondering if I've got something wrong on my end.

Ah, mGBA happens to have a lot of enhancements, including sound. If you turn off the sound enhancements you should hear a big difference between the two. If you were to try this on like GBArunner2 or any other emulator you would hear a difference, but mGBA with it's audio enhancements, yeah you're not gonna hear anything different so just turn the enhancements off.

EvilJagaGenius

On that note is there a big difference when listening via the GBA's built-in speaker, or do you need to use headphones to get the most out of the patch?
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

GB-CG

It'd be cool if Metroid Fusion/ZM also got the sound treatment.
Exclusively plays romhacks on hardware.

RunTheCoins

Quote from: GB-CG on June 04, 2022, 02:56:14 PM
It'd be cool if Metroid Fusion/ZM also got the sound treatment.

I can do that. I figured people didn't really want that since the soundtrack was so good, but yeah that's easy for me to do. Expect a release in the next couple days.

June 05, 2022, 11:04:50 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on June 04, 2022, 01:51:34 PM
On that note is there a big difference when listening via the GBA's built-in speaker, or do you need to use headphones to get the most out of the patch?

I can't say for sure, I mean I don't currently own a GBA, but I have tested it on my DS which has the internals of a GBA and there is a big difference even without the headphones, so i'm gonna say yes.

EvilJagaGenius

Latest 3.0 patch gives the exact same checksum before and after patching and diff doesn't report any difference either.  Could you double-check to make sure the uploaded patch works?
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Green Jerry

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on June 07, 2022, 11:01:57 AM
Latest 3.0 patch gives the exact same checksum before and after patching
This must be happening because the author must've selected the vanilla ROM as both the original one and the hacked one by mistake when creating the patch, which results in a patch that does nothing at all. The size of the patch is only 29 bytes.
My latest Portuguese translation: Popeye (NES)
New English translation! Gardman (NES)

Linktree

T92

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on June 07, 2022, 11:01:57 AM
Latest 3.0 patch gives the exact same checksum before and after patching and diff doesn't report any difference either.  Could you double-check to make sure the uploaded patch works?

I checked both the patched and the original ROM with a Hex editor and they are the same.

niuus

Quote from: Green Jerry on June 07, 2022, 12:22:53 PM
This must be happening because the author must've selected the vanilla ROM as both the original one and the hacked one by mistake when creating the patch, which results in a patch that does nothing at all. The size of the patch is only 29 bytes.
Can confirm this problem.