Dragon Warrior updated with DWII colors and/or sprites.

Started by Asaki, October 08, 2022, 10:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asaki

Not the most exciting ROM hack, but it was a very good learning experience.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/h54bxg5ofo2zb7d/DW_UPDO.zip/file

I don't have a fun title for it yet!
There are a few optional patches included:
GIRL+WIZ.IPS swaps the girl to use palette 3 (red) instead of palette 0 (blue), and swaps the oldman to use palette 0 (blue) instead of palette 2 (gray), to match the colors in the original Dragon Quest (and the sequel).
DQ2 COLORS.IPS will change the background and sprite palettes to values used in DWII, so magenta floors and orange NPCs instead of red, etc.

Actual colors will obviously vary from screenshots depending on emulator/settings/hardware used.

DQ2 SPRITES.IPS was a bit more work, but I managed to figure it out (and I have so many blank tiles left over!). All player/NPC sprites are replaced with equivalents from the sequel(s), with an eye for matching the original DQ as closely as possible.
DQ2 SPRITES+GIRL+WIZ.IPS - the SPRITES patch and the GIRL+WIZ patch don't play nice together, so here's a combined patch.

COMPLETE.IPS is all of the above put together, plus a typo fix that removes the period when the shopkeeper asks 'Is that Okay.?'

Typo fix is:
0x008617: 4B 40 5F (or 57?)5F is a regular "space", not sure about 57? It seemed to work about the same either way.

Most graphics are from DWII, the player sprites and matching red fighter are borrowed from the DQ Delocalized patch (with a few bugs fixed). The princess sprites are taken from DWIII.
Not quite sure what to do with the princess...the DWIII sprites look pretty good, but aren't consistent with the "hero carrying the princess" sprites...or that ugly "princess standing in the dungeon" background tile (not sure why they did it that way)...but I'm just leaving it for now.
I also need to get to the end of the game to work on the trumpeter sprites and Dragonlord.

Speaking of the princess, I noticed she has sprites for facing four different directions, but I don't think they're ever used? And her "west facing" sprite is broken.
Here's a fix for that:
0x001714: 3943 3843 3B43 3A43 3943 3843 3D43 3C43
I wanted to go a little crazier with the background tiles, but that would require removing the battle backgrounds, and I'm not sure if that's something I want to do.

Chicken Knife

Hey Asaki.

Looking this over and downloading the patch, I notice that you used the unique sprites I created for the 4 way Famicom style DQ1 hero in your "complete" patch. I had also included the same palette swap optional patch for the maiden and old man in Dragon Quest: Delocalized.

I'm fine with you using my stuff, but I just ask that you provide proper credits.

Asaki

Quote from: Chicken Knife on October 08, 2022, 11:14:54 PMI'm fine with you using my stuff, but I just ask that you provide proper credits.
Yes, I mentioned in the post that the sprites are from your patch ;) Will give proper credits in the readme when I write it up.
Was going to ask you first, but I wasn't sure if I was even going to share this.

The GIRL+WIZ patch is my own work, though. I finally went through enough documentation to figure out how to trace things in the debugger.

BTW, most people probably wouldn't notice, but there is a bug in your patch when the player has a shield but no sword. When facing North, no shield is drawn, and when facing West, a sword is shown.

I fixed this by switching the left half of his North sprites to point at the "sword + shield" tiles:
0x0013E4: 8000 2100 8200 2500 8400 2040 8600 2440
And then since 60 62 64 66 aren't being used anymore, I redrew those as West facing player holding shield but no sword, and fixed the pointers:
0x0016E4: 6000 9900 6200 9B00 6400 9D00 6600 9F00(at least I'm pretty sure that's what I did...my brain is still waking up...)

Chicken Knife

Quote from: Asaki on October 09, 2022, 10:34:25 AMYes, I mentioned in the post that the sprites are from your patch ;) Will give proper credits in the readme when I write it up.
Thanks for pointing that out. It goes to show that reading something 3 times isn't worth much after a full day of... festivities.

Also, I'm surprised this is the first time anyone brought up these shield + no sword graphical bugs. It clearly shows that buying a weapon is always #1 in player's minds.

I really appreciate you breaking down the fix and creating left facing frames that perfectly fit. I'll push out an update to Delocalized and add a credit for you.

I'm curious what else you'll go on to do in the world of DQ hacking. Keep up the great work!

Asaki

Quote from: Chicken Knife on October 10, 2022, 10:07:57 AMAlso, I'm surprised this is the first time anyone brought up these shield + no sword graphical bugs. It clearly shows that buying a weapon is always #1 in player's minds.
Yeah, most people probably don't go straight for the shield ;)
I only really noticed because I was trying to document everything as I went.

Quote from: Chicken Knife on October 10, 2022, 10:07:57 AMI'm curious what else you'll go on to do in the world of DQ hacking. Keep up the great work!
Thanks!
Dunno if I'll do any more DQ hacks, I just kinda jump around a lot. Lately I've been doing some SNES hacks to switch purple USA buttons back to J/E colors (very exciting stuff), and thought I'd do something a little different to help learn how to use the debugger.
Now that I know a little bit more, I really ought to go back and finish a couple of my GBA hacks.

Asaki

So I went back in the other night to check out the ending of the game...Dragonlord's sprite still needs to be replaced, and he does use the "East-facing" sprite as well. Not sure if I will use the DQ2 sprite and try to cobble together my own East-facing sprite, or just make him always face forward.

Also still not sure what to do with the Princess =) I might try to cobble Chicken Knife's sprites together with the DW1 sprites, see if that looks okay for when the Hero is carrying her.

I would love to get rid of that background tile of her in the dungeon, and replace it with a sprite, but that might be beyond my current skills...and, I mean, there's gotta be a reason they did it that way in the first place...right???
Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, it's probably because of the way dungeons are rendered for darkness/light, the same reason they have blocky scrolling instead of smooth.

As far as the ending, I've run into a small problem, and I'm not sure how to tackle it. For the sprites of the guards blowing horns, the horns use palette 1 (same as the merchants)...originally the horns themselves use the second color, which is more of a yellowish-orange,  but the DQ2 palette changes this to be more of a red color. I suppose I could always go with the orange color from palette 3, but a compromise has to be made somewhere...

Another thing, looking at sprite sheets online, it appears that in the original DQ1, there is an alternate gray guard who doesn't wield a weapon?
There's a chance that this could be restored in my patch, but I checked a couple of the towns in DQ1 and didn't see them anywhere...I'll have to look a little more thoroughly, I guess.
Edit: Just checked every town, and I don't see them anywhere. Unless those are the guards at the ending, before they pull out their horns? That would make sense. I think, in my patch, switching them back to left-handed kind of goofed that up.

It's weird how some of this is set up...the East-facing horn guards are at 0x0013B4/4B4/5B4/6B4, and West-facing are at 0x001434/534/634/734. In the map, they're set as South-facing, and every direction is programmed to have the same tiles. They stand perfectly still, and their second frame is them holding the horn, so the second horn animation tiles that were drawn were never even used. Not sure if that would be an easy thing to restore, but it would be neat.

If I were less lazy, I would submit some of this stuff to TCRF =)

Chicken Knife

Quote from: Asaki on October 26, 2022, 09:03:41 PMEdit: Just checked every town, and I don't see them anywhere. Unless those are the guards at the ending, before they pull out their horns? That would make sense. I think, in my patch, switching them back to left-handed kind of goofed that up.
I'm pretty sure this is it.