Super Mario Bros PAL NES - Changing the number of worlds

Started by mamut3553, May 27, 2022, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamut3553

Hi! I want my hack to have four worlds. I've seen it done, but I can't find a way to do it. I tried the utilities available here, but they all either break the ROM or do nothing. Is there an address I can just change to accomplish this, or is it more complicated than that? I'd also want to make the world select to not go over four, some utilities also promise this but they just end up breaking the ROM, but this is more important. The ROM map at https://datacrystal.romhacking.net/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros.:ROM_map contains no information on this, and it also doesn't seem to be 100% correct for the PAL version. I just used the PAL ROM cause it's the ROM I had and always played.

Thanks for any info.

(I found that all the addresses in the ROM map are correct, but the suggested values aren't good for PAL. So, if this is just a value at an address I can change, if you have the address for the NTSC ROM, I suspect it'd be correct.)

KingMike

You could use a hex editor to look at the hex data at the appropriate spot for the NTSC ROM, then look for a match of similar bytes in the PAL ROM.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018