[Graphics/Technical] [MD/GEN] Addams Family graphics decompression

Started by Yggdrax, July 03, 2022, 06:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yggdrax

The Genesis/MD port of the Addams Family game was one of the first games that I have recollection of playing. Because I grew up with this game, it holds a very special place in my heart, however with time I've come to realize how rushed and unpolished some aspects of this game were.

Since I'm not a master at romhacking or anything of the likes, I've decided to start with a color hack, as it is relatively simple. I've done some work already to make the color palette of this game closer to that of the SNES version (as that port has better use of color). As well as modifying Gomez sprite and some of the hud elements.

As of right now, most of the areas were recolored. However, because of the poor usage of the Genesis color palette, some graphic detail was lost in the conversion. And unfortunately, almost all of the game graphics are compressed, which I have little to no idea on how to deal with.

Now, this port has some other issues, like some of the boss sprites being drawn in the incorrect order, or some of the gallery stages missing music. But those are out of the reach of what this hack tries to fix. What I need right now is to decompress the tileset graphics, specifically from the gallery stages and from the hall of stairs, so I can modify them.
Aah! The cat turned into a cat!