Final Fantasy V Advance Color Restoration and Improvement

Started by Piggy Chan!, May 19, 2022, 12:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggy Chan!

I haven't made anything in nearly a decade, but I finally "finished" this!

Version 1.0, I suppose

It wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be - large chunks of data are arranged identically in the SFC and GBA roms, so I just had to locate and copy and paste some of it - but I had to be creative to fulfill parts of it. It is, as the name suggests, a patch that restores the color of Final Fantasy V Advance to that of the original Super Famicom title, and also attempts to change the colors of new enemies, items, character portraits and battle backgrounds to suit the improved color palette. Here's a big image of old-vs-new comparisons to give you a better idea of what I've done...

FlamePurge

Hey, congrats! I appreciate you making this; I was just talking to a friend about it. At long last, it's done. :) I'll be installing it for sure.
Check out and discuss my projects

Piggy Chan!

I'm actually surprised that nobody had done this before, though I suppose the major stumbling block was the Advance battle screens, which would (and did) require a lot of creative finagling to do proper. And it's surely not perfect, but I would definitely say it's an improvement.

I'm also working on a Final Fantasy IV Advance color improvement, but that project will take a lot longer to work out, because FF4 Advance's colors and sprite work is structured a lot different from the original. The sprites are also such a mess that I actually have to pop open YY-CHR and edit them directly, in addition to the color palettes. Here's a little zoomed in preview...

CoolCatBomberMan

Masaru

Quote from: Piggy Chan! on May 19, 2022, 12:03:33 PM
I'm actually surprised that nobody had done this before, though I suppose the major stumbling block was the Advance battle screens, which would (and did) require a lot of creative finagling to do proper. And it's surely not perfect, but I would definitely say it's an improvement.

I'm also working on a Final Fantasy IV Advance color improvement, but that project will take a lot longer to work out, because FF4 Advance's colors and sprite work is structured a lot different from the original. The sprites are also such a mess that I actually have to pop open YY-CHR and edit them directly, in addition to the color palettes. Here's a little zoomed in preview...

You could take the WonderSwan version as a reference for the colors since the GBA version is mostly based on that version, Sadly the WS version uses the SNES battle backgrounds

T29

Thanks.  :thumbsup:

I just have one question, is it compatible with Sound Restoration?

Brutapode89

Quote from: A29 on May 19, 2022, 01:40:42 PM
Thanks.  :thumbsup:

I just have one question, is it compatible with Sound Restoration?

Yes, I already tried it. :thumbsup:

T29

Quote from: Brutapode89 on May 19, 2022, 03:04:58 PM
Yes, I already tried it. :thumbsup:
Tested with my old save file and worked well.  :thumbsup:
I'll use this and the Sound Restoration for the extra dungeon.

May 19, 2022, 05:16:56 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Comparison

Lynx

Brutapode89

Quote from: Lynx on May 20, 2022, 07:32:25 AM
Has anyone tested this patch in US version?

Not tested the US yet but the English language is already included in the European version :thumbsup:

FlamePurge

And if you have problems reading the menu font of the European version, I've tested my Font Facelift with this. It is compatible. :) https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4248/

Lynx

I just tried the patch in US ver. It caused crashes when loading the save file and I am using mGba because of the sound restoration patch and it notify to use original BIOS.

Masaru

Quote from: Lynx on May 20, 2022, 11:26:12 AM
I just tried the patch in US ver. It caused crashes when loading the save file and I am using mGba because of the sound restoration patch and it notify to use original BIOS.
The issue comes with the fact that the patch was made exclusively for the european version, there's not patch for neither the US version and the Japanese version

Brutapode89

But you can play in english with the European version :thumbsup:

T29

Quote from: Lynx on May 20, 2022, 11:26:12 AM

I guess it would be better if you wait until the author releases a patch for the USA ROM.  :thumbsup:

Piggy Chan!

I'm glad to hear that the sound restoration patch works with this! I didn't think that the two would conflict, because I'm pretty sure the sound and visual parts of the data are in entirely separate places, and I don't think they had to move anything around to make their patch.

As for compatibility with the US and Japanese ROMs, I made the patch for the European release because it covered the most languages, and I suspect that the relevant data is stored in different places for the other ROMs due to the language options, hence the crashing. I might try to adopt the work I did for other versions - the 'Mover' trick in the US version is something I sorely missed, myself, while making this - at a later date, but I'm not doing so at this time because I'm working on other projects, most of which I would like to actually finish!

FlamePurge

The Mover exploit may be gone, but there's really no reason to play the NTSC-U version over PAL unless you really hate the language selection screen. You can get the same size menu font, SNES-style music, and now SNES-color graphics. (PAL also fixed the Return spell glitch, where timers wouldn't reset when that spell was cast.)

DragonSpikeXIII

EvilJagaGenius

I've come the the irksome realization that some of these color hacks look lovely but are ultimately too dark for my AGS-001.  I'm not sure what I think of this one... some shots like inside the town look nicer, others like the dialog on the ship look way too dark for me.  Still, by no means stop, it's great to see someone taking a look at this.

People might appreciate a patch for the US ROM as well because I believe that's the only version ludmeister's Custom Classes works with.  That plus color restoration might be a pretty sweet setup.

A FF4 hack would be cool to see too!  I only ask that it be compatible with the sound restoration hack for that game too.
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Chaos Rush

Quote from: EvilJagaGenius on May 22, 2022, 06:18:46 PM
I've come the the irksome realization that some of these color hacks look lovely but are ultimately too dark for my AGS-001.  I'm not sure what I think of this one... some shots like inside the town look nicer, others like the dialog on the ship look way too dark for me.  Still, by no means stop, it's great to see someone taking a look at this.
I mean, these color patches aren't meant for the frontlit AGS-001. They're meant for backlit devices like the AGS-101, DS Lite, IPS GBA mods, emulators, etc. If you're playing a frontlit SP then just play the games without patches.