ROM Hacks: The Thief and the Cobbler SMB2 released for NES

Started by RHDNBot, May 18, 2022, 08:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: tygerbug

There have been a lot of hacks of Super Mario Bros 2 (USA), but even by those standards this one is unusual.

This is a tribute to the unfinished cult animated film The Thief and the Cobbler, which was written and directed by three-time Academy Award winning animator Richard Williams (animation director of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, author of The Animator's Survival Kit).

You can play as four characters- the nameless Thief, Tack the Cobbler, Chief Roofless of the forty Brigands, and Princess Yum Yum. Enemies include the evil Grand Vizier, Zig Zag, and his henchmen Goblet, Gopher, Tickle and Slap. You'll also meet the mad and holy old Witch of the desert mountain, who will both help and harm you. You'll have to deal with lots of annoying animals, plus the vulture Phido and the deadly doggie Kuriboss.

It's a side-scrolling adventure through seven worlds to retrieve the legendary golden balls, defeat the evil warlord One Eye, and save the Golden City!

Most of the graphics have been tweaked or replaced, and the levels have also been changed slightly.

The hack itself is by the film restorationist behind The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut. The film was thirty years in the making. The hack was not.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

gamingcat02261991

It's weird, but I always thought that one of the characters in the unfinished film looked like an evil version of Genie from Disney's Aladdin (or maybe I'm mentioning the wrong film).

tygerbug

Aladdin is sort of a ripoff of this film -- and its impending release was one reason the Warner Bros production got cancelled.

Andreas Deja who worked on Jafar and Eric Goldberg who worked on The Genie in Aladdin had both worked for Richard Williams previously, and took inspiration from his style.

slimehunter

Wild. My housemate has The Animators Survival Kit at their desk. I'm going to send them the link to this now. Thanks!

Googie

Cool, another SMB2 hack I gotta try out. Sadly I never heard'a this movie, I'll look it up too. Thanks for sharing with us.  8)