How difficult would it be to port Mortal Kombar II from DOS to PS1?

Started by Enmanuel E. Pérez, May 17, 2022, 10:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enmanuel E. Pérez

How difficult would it be to port Mortal Kombar II from MS-DOS to PlayStation 1? I think that unlike the original horrendous 32-bit versions that Probe Entertainment did, for the DOS version they really went out of their way and made one of the best homebrew versions of that time (cleaning up their image a bit in the process).

I would like to know all the pros and cons of trying something like this and if anyone who has experience working for PSX thinks it would be feasible or not worth the effort.
I don't know NOTHING on programming lmao

KingMike

The same as the answer to any question about porting game X from console Y to console Z: very difficult.

Especially when the two formats have probably nothing in common.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Enmanuel E. Pérez

Quote from: KingMike on May 18, 2022, 09:18:58 AM
The same as the answer to any question about porting game X from console Y to console Z: very difficult.

Especially when the two formats have probably nothing in common.

Well, in the worst case scenario, is it possible to make some adjustments to the original PS1 version made by PROBE entertainment to improve its performance? (say improve the poor performance of the game, change the timing of load times to be just a long one before each round instead of every 2 seconds, and change the way songs output to be closer to Arcade)
This version was not ready yet and only came out in Japan very late in 1996, when MK3 was already doing a better job on PS1 and Saturn.
I don't know NOTHING on programming lmao

Jorpho

Why would you bother making any changes to this game when there are so many other much better ways to play Mortal Kombat II?

Quote from: Enmanuel E. Pérez on May 19, 2022, 01:03:53 AMis it possible
Many things are "possible" if you're willing to put in absolutely enormous amounts of frustrating, difficult work.  If you are asking if it is easy, then probably not.  Playstation hacks are are already quite uncommon; hacks to arbitrarily improve poor performance are practically unheard of.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!