ROM Hacks: Bomber Man 83: Eric and the Floaters released

Started by RHDNBot, May 14, 2022, 12:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: tygerbug

Most people first encountered Hudson Soft's Bomberman in his 1985 NES/Famicom game. But there was an earlier, forgotten version of Bomber Man for home computers in 1983. The MSX and ZX Spectrum versions were localized in Europe as Eric and the Floaters, due to concerns over the title of the game being associated with terrorism. This was followed by a first-person sequel, 3D Bomberman, in 1984.

This ROMhack is a demake, restoring the earlier artwork and characters from the 1983 and 1984 MSX games. The player character is once again Eric, in his suspenders and hat. The different enemies are now all variations on the Floater enemies, with the different faces the Floaters had originally.

These versions looked very different, with 1-bit sprites. Eric is a man in suspenders and a feathered hat. There is only one enemy, a balloon who has several different facial expressions, and will become agitated and unpredictable.

The character graphics here are nearly unchanged from MSX, albeit with some tweaks.

You play a man who is trapped inside a maze. Place your time bombs wisely to defeat the balloon monsters. If the balloon monsters get caught up in an exploding time bomb, they will pop and disappear. Don't let them get you, and don't blow yourself up. You can break down weaker walls with your time bombs. These walls can hide treasures and exit doors. Pick up treasure to receive bonus points. Defeat all the monsters on the screen and find the exit to proceed to the next stage.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

danuffo

Interesting.

There is a legendary name called "Don Pepe y los globos" (can be translated as "Mr Peter and the balloons") that supposedly some people from Hispanic America created to make fun on Spain translations but maybe it was a real thing after all.

I always thought it was only a lie because many of us know the real title is "Bomberman", no other name.

Josephine Lithius

Hot'cha!  It's finally ready for primetime!  And I helped~!
(* I didn't "do" diddly  – not even give moral support.  I'm trash.  (,: )

I'm gonna have to give this one a semi-thorough playthrough and see how things went.  From the screenshots, though, it looks like a perfect "enhanced port" of Eric and the Floaters from the MSX2 / ZX Spectrum!  Awesome!

Hemlock

I know that this is a hack and that was the name of the release, but it's really an unfortunate name.

tygerbug

"Don Pepe y Los Globos" was the Spanish name for another 1983 game for ZX Spectrum, "Balloon Hopper."

https://www.mobygames.com/game/balloon-hopper

It could have applied to this game, but didn't ... although I see a lot of memes calling BomberMan that.

The Beaky Buccaneer

Great to see this odd little part of Bomberman's history being preserved and highlighted in this way. :thumbsup:

Will there be an equivalent demake patch to represent the original Bakudan Otoko/Bomber Man MSX release, too?

tygerbug

Quote from: The Beaky Buccaneer on May 16, 2022, 05:56:43 AM
Will there be an equivalent demake patch to represent the original Bakudan Otoko/Bomber Man MSX release, too?

That's what this patch is already.

It's based on the art style of the 1983 and 84 MSX games "Bomber Man" (Eric and the Floaters) and "3D Bomber Man."

It imports graphics directly from those games, with tweaks for the NES format.

QuoteAlthough Bomber Man 2 is an original release for the NES and thus never used this graphical style, I'd still love to see it get an Eric and the Floaters facelift as well, as I think playing battle mode with this artstyle would be neat. Make it happen!

Unfortunately, Bomber Man 2's graphics do not load cleanly for me in YY-CHR.

It might also be a little hard to do, due to the mirroring and other graphical cheats in Bomber Man 2, which set it apart from the original ... and the cutscenes.

(It would be easier to do as a Mesen HDPack.)

The Beaky Buccaneer

Quote from: tygerbug on May 16, 2022, 06:26:17 AM
That's what this patch is already.

It's based on the art style of the 1983 and 84 MSX games "Bomber Man" (Eric and the Floaters) and "3D Bomber Man."

It imports graphics directly from those games, with tweaks for the NES format.
I know - I just meant purely title-wise. Silly, I know.  :laugh:

pangenttech

If you want a version of "Bomber Man" that's titled "Bomber Man" I have good news for you

The Beaky Buccaneer

Quote from: pangenttech on May 16, 2022, 08:11:33 AM
   If you want a version of "Bomber Man" that's titled "Bomber Man" I have good news for you
Hahahahaha! :laugh:

I just meant no mention of Eric, and maybe art from one of the old Japanese boxes for the 1983 game (the Eric and the Floaters art where the Floaters are depicted as a slathering horde of sharp-toothed zombies is probably a bit much!). Like I said, just a silly little thought. ;D

Anyway, many thanks to tygerbug for the hack - loving it. :thumbsup: I introduced some younger relatives to Bomberman recently, and they're sure to find this interesting, too.