News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Game Boy Wars 3 full translation and PALBal patch V2.0  (Read 1557 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: MKnightDH

In recent times, due to certain scary real life events, Advance Wars Re-Boot Camp was delayed, to the mix of sympathy and chagrin of users such as BigKlingy. In response to this, the full translation (other than minor details) as well as the PALBal patch for a game in the same franchise, Game Boy Wars 3, is hereby released on Mother's Day. Since this release is pushing as much, it is worth pointing out here actively that viewing the Readme files, especially covering about those same real life events, would help to avoid dishonoring both WayForward's intent with the delay of Re-Boot Camp, as well as victims of the real life events in question on both sides.

Game Boy Wars 3, for the Game Boy Color, is a Turn Based Strategy game where the player maneuvers modern military units around their enemy to achieve victory. At its minimum, Game Boy Wars 3 involves its share of unit ideas as well as more unique mechanics compared to other games in the Nintendo Wars series. The translation allows for players to experience the game as they wish in English with a few features added to get around defunct features, the PALBal patch seeks to improve the balance, fine-tune the mechanics, and add a few more points of interest for ideas, and the additional patches such as Hit Point Display and Automatic End Turn provide for conveniences. There's even a Master Patch that quickly adds in all of these patches to a base version of the game.

Be sure to try this out. With any luck, the userbase could at worst have the things to complain about be welcome to complain about, rather than be about how WayForward is doing a certain something that was already done by Famicom Wars' boxart. Fun that doesn't come at others' expense would be the best, after all.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

MKnightDH

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Game Boy Wars 3 full translation and PALBal patch V2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 01:55:01 pm »
Somehow, the News submission was Approved ahead of the actual file submission itself, so I will provide the ZIP file from my Google Drive for anybody who is an early bird, and also in case the file submission is messy:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zRhH-11DOMxUyP2lXQ_3d4-mVbEl_CXO/view?usp=sharing

Enjoy.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 05:47:19 pm »
Ah, that was on me. I saw there was an existing entry so I approved the news post. However, it seems like you made a duplicate entry instead of updating the original page. So I just ported your newest version to the older page.

MysticLord

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 08:55:44 pm »
The readme file isn't viewable from the the hack page, I think you need to upload it.

Shadowman621

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 11:21:55 pm »
Has anyone been able to get it work on a 3DS? It kept crashing on me and giving me an error code. That's with using the master patch

Edit: It's not the patch. The base game gives the same error. I guess the 3DS doesn't like this game
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 01:07:11 am by Shadowman621 »

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 10:13:36 am »
Was the malinformed and highly one-sided political screed really necessary with this release? It seems like a shallow, propaganda laced pot shot at the fan community for the series instead of a call to fun with a new patch release.
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

MKnightDH

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 12:16:17 pm »
Ah, that was on me. I saw there was an existing entry so I approved the news post. However, it seems like you made a duplicate entry instead of updating the original page. So I just ported your newest version to the older page.

Thank you. And yeah, I got confused about this myself, which I'm wishing more people would care to be understanding about.

The readme file isn't viewable from the the hack page, I think you need to upload it.

Done now.

Has anyone been able to get it work on a 3DS? It kept crashing on me and giving me an error code. That's with using the master patch

Edit: It's not the patch. The base game gives the same error. I guess the 3DS doesn't like this game

I am guessing the emulator has issues to report. GBW3 does use IR Communication stuff, so the emulator could be having fits with that, I don't know. Oh, and GBW3 is GBC exclusive, so that may be it. Either way, maybe you could have the team behind the emulator look into the whole mess.

Shadowman621

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 04:20:36 pm »
I am guessing the emulator has issues to report. GBW3 does use IR Communication stuff, so the emulator could be having fits with that, I don't know. Oh, and GBW3 is GBC exclusive, so that may be it. Either way, maybe you could have the team behind the emulator look into the whole mess.

It's not an emulator, I'm talking about playing it on an actual 3DS via a virtual console injection. And I did have my suspicions that it was because of the IR communication stuff. Overall, what I've played of it on PC I am quite pleased with

rari_teh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 12:23:59 am »
It's not an emulator, I'm talking about playing it on an actual 3DS via a virtual console injection. And I did have my suspicions that it was because of the IR communication stuff. Overall, what I've played of it on PC I am quite pleased with

The Virtual Console is an emulator. Officially sanctioned and developed by Nintendo, but an emulator nonetheless. The only 3DS VC module that is... partially not an emulator, I guess, is the GBA VC, which AFAIK partially runs natively on dedicated hardware. The other VC modules are generally low-accuracy emulators that frequently have difficulties running titles that weren't officially released on the eShop. To play Game Boy games on a 3DS, I'd suggest running GameYob via TWiLight Menu++.

Shadowman621

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 03:07:20 am »
The Virtual Console is an emulator. Officially sanctioned and developed by Nintendo, but an emulator nonetheless. The only 3DS VC module that is... partially not an emulator, I guess, is the GBA VC, which AFAIK partially runs natively on dedicated hardware. The other VC modules are generally low-accuracy emulators that frequently have difficulties running titles that weren't officially released on the eShop. To play Game Boy games on a 3DS, I'd suggest running GameYob via TWiLight Menu++.

For some reason, I interpreted OP as saying I was using an emulator like on a PC. Guess I made a dumb. Thanks for the recommendation though. I'll check it out