Request for Comments: Final Fantasy II (NES) Music Format

Started by Quantam, May 03, 2022, 10:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantam

First draft is done. I would appreciate it if you guys could proof-read it before I officially publish it, looking for accuracy about the NES APU and whether composers find it complete and understandable.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/TheRealQuantam/RetroDocs/main/Final%20Fantasy%20II%20(NES)%20Music%20Format.txt

5/25: Updated to v0.2 (release candidate)
Changes can be seen here.

PolishedTurd

I don't understand the notation about envelopes. For volume, is the number on the left side of the colon the number of frames, and the number on the right the amplitude during those frames? And for pitch, frames on the left and pitch change on the right?

Would it be possible to put in an ASCII graph of the envelopes? Or add images from a graph in Excel or something, and the document becomes HTML instead of text? Just a thought. Actually, it might be more feasible to write a small program that consumes your envelope notation and generates a graph, and people could use that alongside the document.

abw

Downloaded for future reference!

I am alas unqualified to comment on the musical parts of this, but it was a pleasure to read ("Working around these jarring stops is left as an exercise to the composer." :laugh:), and on the technical side this dovetails quite nicely with the FF2 disassembly efforts that are a part of the Final Fantasy II Restored thread. I haven't looked at the music engine in any great depth, but I have examined it enough to recognize some of the features you've highlighted, so it's pretty cool to see a musical explanation of the code and data that I'm more familiar with.

Thanks for sharing this!

Quantam

Quote from: PolishedTurd on May 08, 2022, 11:05:54 AM
I don't understand the notation about envelopes. For volume, is the number on the left side of the colon the number of frames, and the number on the right the amplitude during those frames? And for pitch, frames on the left and pitch change on the right?

Would it be possible to put in an ASCII graph of the envelopes? Or add images from a graph in Excel or something, and the document becomes HTML instead of text? Just a thought. Actually, it might be more feasible to write a small program that consumes your envelope notation and generates a graph, and people could use that alongside the document.
The value is on the left of the colon, the number of frames is on the right. It might be possible for the volume envelopes to do a 1 char per frame rendition of them; for the pitch envelopes that's not as possible because it has both positives and negatives and some of the delay values are very large.

Quantam