Request for Comments: Final Fantasy III (NES) Music Format

Started by Quantam, May 02, 2022, 03:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantam

Okay, I think I can call this a first draft. Here is the Final Fantasy III (NES) music format. I would appreciate it if you guys could proof-read it before I officially publish it, looking for accuracy about the NES APU and whether composers find it complete and understandable.

https://github.com/TheRealQuantam/RetroDocs/raw/main/Final%20Fantasy%20III%20(NES)%20Sound%20Format.txt

Oh, by the way. I'm still not 100% happy with the characterization of the "snare drum" preset. That was the best I could come up with, but to me it really sounds too low pitched to be a snare drum. The two presets can be heard here. The first is what I call closed hihat, the second is what I call snare drum. If anybody can come up with a better designation, let me know.

UPDATE (5/2/2022): Made a minor update to add the sound effect format. Initially I left it out because I didn't care about sound effects, but with it being such a small amount of documentation (as the sound effect format is almost identical to the music format), I figured I might as well throw it in.
UPDATE (5/25/2022): Make a few revisions and bumped to v0.3 (release candidate). Changes can be found here.

Everything

This is a very nice document, great job! I think hi-hat and snare drum are good descriptions for the two noise channel presets.

Quantam

T92

It's nice that someone finally documented this, Final Fantasy III didn't get many romhacks because there isn't much documentation nor ROM editors.