Palette and text hacking for Super Boy 4 (SMS)

Started by Bluestreak, April 28, 2022, 09:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluestreak

So I've been working on a hack of Super Boy 4 called Super Boy 4: Super Mario World. What it does is it changes every single graphic in-game to be that of Super Mario World, with everything around 75% done. However, I do need help with two aspects: To change the "S-BOY" text to say "MARIO" like in SMW, as well as modify the colors in Mario's palette (going from red, dark purple to a pinkish red and blue), and also to change it so Mario no longer changes race (like Super Boy does in the original game for some reason) when he gets the Fire Flower (a mitt in the original game), but proper Fire Mario colours. I went into a hex editor to find the proper values and all, but everything within was pure jibberish with nothing but letters with accent marks and symbols.

Will anyone be willing to help me, or show me what to do?

Sorry if this thread is not in the appropriate place. This is my first forum post.

Cyneprepou4uk

I don't know anything about SMS platform, but a quick Google search tells me that there is MEKA emulator with debugger and hex editor.

QuoteTo change the "S-BOY" text to say "MARIO"

Try "find text" function in your hex editor.

Quotemodify the colors in Mario's palette

MEKA's hex editor has a PAL (palette) tab. You could copy some of the bytes from there, search them inside the ROM, try to change them and reset the game to see what happens.

There is also VRAM (video RAM) tab, which should contain current tiles. Try manually changing them until you get to "S-BOY" text on the screen, to find out what bytes correspond to that string, and search these bytes in a hex editor.

Quoteto change it so Mario no longer changes race

This requires some debugging. I would start with searching for a RAM addresses with current race. Then use breakpoints to find relevant code. Then SMS assembly knowledge comes into play.

QuoteI went into a hex editor to find the proper values and all, but everything within was pure jibberish with nothing but letters with accent marks and symbols.

Did you expect to see something else?

Read some tutorials for SMS.

pangenttech

https://www.smspower.org/maxim/HowToProgram/Palette

There are a lot more tools to work with NES games if you're new to the whole thing.

I have used that SMS emulator to look at stuff though.

https://emulicious.net/downloads/

Bluestreak

Thank you! Yeah, I guess I'm used to going into disassemblies with hex editors, hence why I'm not used to seeint gibberish (I have some experience with Sonic 1 Genesis). When I'd change values in MEKA in the past however, the changes immediately reverted back after losing/recieving fire power, which makes it... Tougher.

But yeah, I will go back and try those.