News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

How can I start learning 6502 Assembly?

Started by RickTaylor, April 27, 2022, 12:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickTaylor

I want to create my own NES hackroms, but I don't know 6502 Assembly. The only things I did to do was to change some SMB dialogues with a hex editor and change sprites in TLP, but nothing bigger than that. Do somebody can recommend me some video or book about 6502 Assembly?

PolishedTurd

I recommend picking an existing game roughly similar to the kind of game you want to make, then tracing through it as you learn about programming. That includes seeing how the game handles controller input, player movement / physics, changes to the player state and animations, player collision with the environment, player collision with enemies...

Assembly and the NES hardware are very dry to study by themselves. It helps to follow along with a game you like and that is (ideally) well documented. Mario, Zelda and Mega Man(s) are good for studying platformers.

pianohombre

Why re-invent the wheel? Most popular games have level editors and text editing programs available. You may want to check out a RAM map though.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Steve Wozniak

abridgewater

Quote from: pianohombre on May 12, 2022, 08:52:14 PM
Why re-invent the wheel? Most popular games have level editors and text editing programs available. You may want to check out a RAM map though.
Aside from "The Pleasure of Finding Things Out" (never to be discounted), obvious possibilities include wanting to make changes to games not covered by level editors and text editors, or changes not supported by said level editors and text editors.

Learning assembly language is also a gateway to straight-up homebrew, to writing new emulators, to making level and text editors for new games, and plausibly to other things.

So, yes, re-invent the wheel. Discover why it is the way that it is. That experience helps to tune your intuition for how wheels work, what constitutes a wheel, how wheels can be used, and where wheels can be found.

Someone wanting to learn is to be celebrated, not discouraged.