ROM Hacks: Sound Improvement for Mario Kart Super Circuit is out!

Started by RHDNBot, April 26, 2022, 07:23:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: RunTheCoins

This is a complete sound improvement of Mario Kart Super Circuit, that makes the game play at a higher mix rate, without lag, it does sound about the same to some, but if you listen closely to a lot of tracks they do sound more tolerable, The author suggest testing this mod out with rainbow road or boo lake, they sound a lot better here!

This also makes the drums more noticeable so you can hear tracks like Lakeside Park in better quality, and same goes for Bowser's Castle.

But if you don't particularly like Mario Kart Super Circuit's soundtrack, this may change your opinion.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Supergamerguy

Is this compatible with the Mario Kart 64 voice lines hack?
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > 10 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Cris1997XX

earthboundfan15

Quote from: Cris1997XX on April 26, 2022, 03:04:49 PM
I've just tested, it is compatible
Just tried it out and it doesn't. Using the USA and European rom, you can't use both hacks.

SuperStarFox

The sound improvement hack isn't compatible if you use both the Better Colors patch and The Original Sunset Wilds Title Card & Sprites Restoration patch in one rom.

You'll have to use them separately.

RunTheCoins

Ok It actually is possible to use multiple patches, though not exactly directly, I'll explain the steps soon once I figure it all out, though all mods should be useable with this one

Supergamerguy

Quote from: RunTheCoins on April 27, 2022, 02:17:32 PM
Ok It actually is possible to use multiple patches, though not exactly directly, I'll explain the steps soon once I figure it all out, though all mods should be useable with this one

Sounds great! Thank you so much for going through and doing that!
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > 10 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Polargames

Hello, I have used this hack along with the others that have been mentioned,and I have no issues at all with it. I played through the whole game and everything was fine. I did use the no intro version of the game. I hope this helps. Normal IPS patching method also.

EvilJagaGenius

How are you guys applying the patch?  I've tried Floating IPS (gave me a blank file), Lunar IPS (wouldn't load in mGBA), and the RHDN online patcher (no change).  Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
My blog: The Jaga's Nest

Pethronos

Hey RunTheCoins!!! I've not succeeded in getting your hacks to work. Is there a special way to patch them or something??

Also, about the GB ones (Marios and DuckTales) I've not been able to notice the difference. Again, am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!!

RunTheCoins

honestly people sometimes just don't notice a difference, some tracks are unnoticeably changed, though you will notice some tracks like boo lake and bowser's castle are completely noticable.

radimerry

I'm not sure the GB DuckTales works correctly.

It expands the ROM from $10000 ==> $77F4D but doesn't modify the header other than checksum. Then it adds a bunch of triangle waveforms in expanded ROM area (7557F, 76A3E, .. 77F3E). I checked with a debugger and game never touches these areas.

I also did BGB audio recordings of both (un)patched ROMs and found 1:1 identical output.

Maybe correct patch is not uploaded to site?

Super Mario Land has exact same problem. And "DuckTales - NES triangle Patch.ips" == "Super Mario Land DX - Sound Improvement.ips" (100% identical patches).

RunTheCoins

Ok they might be the wrong patch, but I know for sure the DuckTales one works because I did a comparison awhile back and got different output

I believe its on my YouTube channel  :thumbsup:

https://youtu.be/IDJRu9mzki4

radimerry

You have positive reviews for all your sound improvement patches so I'm likely doing it wrong. It's a subtle difference in the video but that means I noticed a change.

I'll just use the patches like everyone else has suggested. Sorry to bother. :)

RunTheCoins

Nah, it's fine! I was falsely advertising saying I put it in a higher mix rate when in truth it just imports accurate triangle waves into the mod, since both the GB and GBA has serious problems with it's triangle waves.

I honestly should of just said that, but since then I figured out how to actually do higher quality mix rates (though rn only for the GBA) and I'll return to these older mods so I can improve them even more, though it will take time ofc but it'll be worth it!

Green Jerry

This person is claiming the hack does nothing to the audio samples. He/she tried all versions of the hack, on various emulators, and with and without the audio enhancemnt effects.

Also not sure if you already know, as the patch for NES DuckTales was removed because it would erase the data of the entire ROM upon patching it.
My latest Portuguese translation: Popeye (NES)
New English translation! Gardman (NES)

Linktree

T29

Quote from: Green Jerry on June 07, 2022, 08:51:21 AM
This person is claiming the hack does nothing to the audio samples. He/she tried all versions of the hack, on various emulators, and with and without the audio enhancement effects.

Also not sure if you already know, as the patch for NES DuckTales was removed because it would erase the data of the entire ROM upon patching it.

It's because it's the same ROM.
You can check both on a HEX editor to see they are the same.
I guess the author accidentally created an inverse patch.