News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Relative Pointer Search

Started by FFaddic, April 11, 2022, 04:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFaddic

Is there any Hex Editor or other utility that can find relative pointers? For example, I want to be able to provide an offset (ex: 640FF) and it give me all of the offsets that could possibly be a relative pointer (ex: 64001 if it had a value of FE). Bonus if it can do 16-bit searches as well (ex: 63E01 if it's value was FE and 63E02 was 02).

I know Windhex can do a Relative Jump, which is basically the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance!

Cyneprepou4uk

Never heard of such a tool, but making a script for it should be easy enough.

FAST6191

It is not really a thing or approach I have seen done (closest is the unrelated pointer to pointer the cheat making set deal with often enough) but I suppose it could be done.

If you have a reasonably potent hex editor I guess you could do some kind of addition mask (8, 16 or 32 bit, possibly higher still, as required), maybe even tweaked to account for memory, and then boring and basic find should get you there. Indeed if you are going to make a script it is maybe not the most computationally light option (maybe don't do it on a 90 gig iso) but would get it done.