[PS1] Parasite Eve Portuguese Translation (Text, Video and Image Editing)

Started by 4lorn, April 07, 2022, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4lorn

This turned out to be an international effort of sorts. I actually translated the entire Parasite Eve script to (European) Portuguese some 7 years ago but never got around to committing it to a proper project. So for the past months, life, work, and other projects permitting, I've read up on Green Goblin's tutorials (from the Spanish translation team), used the PE Translation Tools (by the Czech team), and _OmbraRD_ from the SadNES cITy Italian team volunteered to translate the intro for me. The textual component is pretty much done but is now pending a final revision while I address other aspects - namely, backgrounds, videos, and end credits (which has its own code but so far it's running great).

I wanted to be as thorough as possible with the project, and this began right with the tutorial. The original PE release actually had a small issue: some picture frames were shaded but the tutorial descriptions were drawn in a way that actually cut off that shading. That's fixed for all places where it occurred. Additionally, I took the time to have all screenshots reflect the translation, so there won't be a mismatch between the pictures and the help text itself.

Also, here are just a couple of screenshots of standard play:

I was also pretty adamant about cohesion so the interface fonts retain the same style, including the Game Over and map screens.

The videos have proven to be the longest part of the project. Since I work with video and image editing this shouldn't be a problem, but modern tools don't particularly care for older formats; most video editing tools nowadays only consider 640x480 and 25 FPS as the bare minimum... Whereas PE's videos are 320x240 at 15 frames per second. So I did the only sane thing I could think of: I extracted the .STR movies from the game, then extracted all of their frames, then edited the frames individually, then rebuilt the movies, then converted them back to .STR with the audio. Several mkpsxiso tests proved fruitful, especially since I've kept editions to a minimum so file size isn't significantly changed. The editing isn't perfect, unfortunately; without whatever project files Square had, and even knowing perspective drawing without clear cut vanishing points, it's sometimes hard to gauge relative distance for some things. Further, because of how some videos fade into several scenes, it was necessary to smooth out the fading elements in order to place the new ones. Fun stuff but also incredibly tedious at times, especially when you have to edit around 88 frames to create a seamless transition, or as seamless as possible, for all elements that require a translation but are also moving each frame. The only exception to this is the NYPD car in the first movie, which remains unedited because I couldn't get proper colors working for it.

Some examples in .GIF format:

Backgrounds, on the other hand... Depending on what listing is fed to the Czech tools' extractor, it'll come up with every single BG in the game, but it tends to handle some of them better than others. So the ambulance outside Carnegie Hall and the room just before the theatre's dressing rooms (where Maya is seen for the first time) can be edited and reinserted; on the other hand, the Central Park Zoo entrance (right before the first time fighting crows) will be extracted like a jigsaw. Inserting the jigsaw back will then mess up... the sewers below the theatre, of all places. I assume this is because the messed-up BGs do not include all of the tiles, so once reinserted, it tends to produce errors.

I wouldn't mind editing all the necessary background images (I actually enjoy doing it), but the Czech tools don't properly extract all of the BGs. I don't think this is an issue with the tools per se, more like how the BGs are stored. Ideally, the project would handle every single aspect of the game; realistically, unless someone more knowledgeable about PS1 background storage helps me fish out and reinsert the trickier backgrounds, the Portuguese translation will be released with an optional patch featuring some of the backgrounds edited so it doesn't feel incomplete. There's also one single texture I'd like to find and edit but I'm not risking it at this time.

I can't thank _OmbraRD_ and GreenGoblin enough; GG in particular was kind enough to facilitate understanding of the end credits, and his tutorials were helpful in kicking this thing wide open.

I'm working double-time to have this released sometime next week.

Green_goblin

Excellent! I always love screenshots more than tedious explanations  :thumbsup:
One last advice: I don't think it's necessary to translate those signs into Portuguese, the game takes place in a real place called New York and those are in English if you go there. Another thing is a fantasy world where it's ok to translate certain things. I guess it's too late now as you already took the time to translate them anyways.

Good luck with the rest of the project. Parasite Eve will always have a special place in my heart as it was my very first project and one of my favorite games of the PSX.

PD: we have the same amount of posts on this forum LOL.

Felipefpl

Congratulations on your work, i have a suggestion for you that could be good (or not):

You should consider using the font hack since it improves (although dont eliminate) the uglyness of the default font which is most seen on emulators. ;)
Core i7 Celeron Sandy Bridge G460 1.8 Ghz - 4 GB RAM - Win7 x64 - Intel HD Graphics 2000

4lorn

Quote from: Green_goblin on April 07, 2022, 04:16:35 PM
Excellent! I always love screenshots more than tedious explanations  :thumbsup:
One last advice: I don't think it's necessary to translate those signs into Portuguese, the game takes place in a real place called New York and those are in English if you go there. Another thing is a fantasy world where it's ok to translate certain things. I guess it's too late now as you already took the time to translate them anyways.

I'm usually of the mind that, if a fanmade translation/localization project can go the extra mile, then it absolutely should - but I do understand your point! :)

QuoteGood luck with the rest of the project. Parasite Eve will always have a special place in my heart as it was my very first project and one of my favorite games of the PSX.

It's a great game, really, and one of my favorite on PS1 too; it's only surpassed by Vagrant Story, which I feel is Square's best game to date. That would also be fun to translate, though perhaps later.

QuotePD: we have the same amount of posts on this forum LOL.

Haha, nice!  ;D

Quote from: Felipefpl on April 07, 2022, 05:54:40 PM
Congratulations on your work, i have a suggestion for you that could be good (or not):

You should consider using the font hack since it improves (although dont eliminate) the uglyness of the default font which is most seen on emulators. ;)

Hi, and thank you! To be honest, I have to confess I absolutely adore the original font; I feel the typewriter aesthetic works really well with one of the game's underlying themes (a criminal investigation) and with the fact that for all intents and purposes, the game is being told, as the intro makes it clear Aya is recounting what happened during those "6 days".

However! You are absolutely right regarding the legibility of the original font, and I've been looking into the possibility of coming up with a new one, or using the hack. More news on that front as soon as possible.

April 12, 2022, 11:22:19 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

So, a small change of plans.

The videos work fine within the game but it seems one of them is causing some sector issue that prevents the endgame Bonus Point counter and the EX Game data creation from appearing. I'll have to look into this eventually. Additionally, I've decided against launching a separate patch for the edited graphics as I've potentially found a better way to access them, but it'll require some further testing.

What this means is that for now at least, the patch is 100% done in regards to everything but movies and BGs, and that's what I'll be releasing at this point. There's no point in delaying this further. Movies and backgrounds will hopefully be revisited in a future version of the patch.

I'm currently building the .PPF files, then it's off to submitting the patch to RHDN.

Raflos

Hi, I just wanted to thank you for making this. This is really awesome. I'm learning European Portuguese, and this was a game I was planning to try anyways. Pretty nice coincidence ;D