Translations: English Translation for the Sega Saturn Port of Ogre Battle Released

Started by RHDNBot, April 07, 2022, 05:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: Pennywise

paul_met, aishsha and Pennywise present another complete translation for everyone to enjoy. This time for the Sega Saturn port of Ogre Battle. Unique to this version are an additional five maps for the player to unlock. See if you can find them all!

The official PSX translation was used as a base for this translation, but in the course of aishsha's review, some significant censorship and butchery was found. So, the script was mostly redone to better present the original creator's intentions.

See the readme for more details.

Until next time.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Red Soul

This is amazing. IMO this version has the best visual treatment, especially for sprites and animations.

Quite like the font used here, as well; the thin font used on the SNES had very bad readability and the weird Diablo inspired font of the PS1 version was also horrible to read.

The fact this has none of the atrocious loading plus has extra content is the icing on the cake.
Thank you so much to all involved on this one, the Saturn deserves as much love as it can get.

Grillkick

I'm playing this on my real Saturn and it is amazing. Well done!

I do hope that an update for the Retrobit wireless controllers comes out. I did notice that my Saturn 3D pad didn't work as well, but only because I was able to find it before one of my wired standard controllers haha.

Regardless, this is a truly outstanding translation that went the extra mile in so many ways!

Chicken Knife

Ogre Battle is one of my absolute favorite games, and I can't wait to experience this version, especially with the translation done by such a team of all stars! Congratulations guys, and thank you so much for getting this project out.  :woot!:

StratosVX

I too loved this game and I look forward to seeing how this is different from the SNES and PSX versions. A couple of things:

1) When playing Dragon's Haven and you liberate Madswan, the citizens tell you they are giving you the sword Caladbolg but then the name of the sword you receive is Karanborg.
2) What is the translated name to enter to play the other special stage? The readme lists a website that has more information on this specific version and it says to enter Sarjem as your name to play this stage, but that doesn't appear to work.

paul_met

Quote from: StratosVX on April 09, 2022, 12:00:51 PM
2) What is the translated name to enter to play the other special stage? The readme lists a website that has more information on this specific version and it says to enter Sarjem as your name to play this stage, but that doesn't appear to work.
The right name is "TSARGEM".
Meduza Team

KingMike

Now I'm remembering, for the SFC version the Nintendo Power version had some added content over the original cartridge (adding an extra 512KB or 1 block to the ROM size, it also, unusually for Nintendo, warranted a unique game ID whereas NP releases usually didn't get a new ID from the retail cart) and someone made a translation patch for that version (using the official translation for the original game content).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Old_gamer

Glorious this gets a translation! I'm playing it and great thus far.

Now if only someday someone can complete the NEO GEO Ogrebattle.

FFaddic

Quote from: Old_gamer on April 11, 2022, 11:46:15 AM
Glorious this gets a translation! I'm playing it and great thus far.

Now if only someday someone can complete the NEO GEO Ogrebattle.

I tried  :'(

Got stuck on the stage dialogue. There's some weird pointers somewhere that I can't seem to find.

murphy9926

Are you able to keep Arwind from the hidden first stage or does she always go her own way?

Pennywise

ze10

Which emulator do you recommend to play this? I tried a few, but I either couldn't get the emulation speed right or the music/sfx sounded weird. Any specific settings too?

paul_met

Quote from: ze10 on May 05, 2022, 05:41:47 PM
Which emulator do you recommend to play this? I tried a few, but I either couldn't get the emulation speed right or the music/sfx sounded weird. Any specific settings too?
SSF emulates this game more correctly than other emulators.
Meduza Team

paul_met

Non-classic controllers (3D Control Pad or Retro-bit Pad) should now work at the difficulty selection menu. Check translation version 1.3.
Meduza Team

ryouga

New patch is broken, gives a 0kb file for the 1st track.

Yes I am using correct redump image, same one I used for previous versions of thte patch that work.

Grillkick

Quote from: paul_met on June 27, 2022, 12:35:53 PMNon-classic controllers (3D Control Pad or Retro-bit Pad) should now work at the difficulty selection menu. Check translation version 1.3.

Hot damn! I have been waiting for this update to use my wireless pads. Thanks!

paul_met

Quote from: ryouga on June 27, 2022, 04:50:27 PMNew patch is broken, gives a 0kb file for the 1st track.
Check version 1.3.1.
Meduza Team

GoodGuyJim

Hey just wanted to post a bug I encountered. Currently on 1.3.1 but I've been slowly playing through the game since 1.0 on the same save (in case that's important to know).

I was doing the Saturn exclusive map Thanos Sea and I did a quick save and turned off the Saturn. Just went back to finish and my entire save file is gone. I know I accidentally did a quick save on a different map and immediately reloaded it without turning the Saturn off and that was fine. Luckily I've been backing up my saves to the Satiator in case the battery dies so I didn't lose any real progress. I reloaded my save and tried doing a quick save on a different map and power cycled the Saturn and it was fine. I'll mess around with it some more and post back if I find anything else.

Thanks for all your hard work, I am loving having this version available!