News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Def Con 30

Started by pianohombre, March 29, 2022, 03:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pianohombre

Anyone ever hear of the hacking group Defcon? I think they started out as an anarchist group that was pacifist (ie anti-fbi,cia,army,etc.) I'm pretty sure you used to be able to download phone phreaking guides, the Anarchist's cookbook, and brute-force apps to do dictionary attacks on login, but now it's more geared towards cyber security and computer science.

They host a lot of events in Las Vegas. The next one is in August '22. Anyone interested in going? I was just in Vegas recently to see a show. They also have Carrot Top there who's doing pretty good.
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

MysticLord

Defcon is a front for US and US allied computer intelligence services, similar to how the Ford Foundation is a private front for the CIA since the late 50s. If you see a "hacking" group that hacks anything but toys and isn't anonymous, they are either cops or a honeypot.

Historically, anarchists are usually police or intelligence assets. Prior to the 1917 Russian Revolution, the Tsar's Okhrana kept many of the most violent anarchist group leaders on their payroll as a way to eliminate bureaucratic rivals and to justify their salaries.

The ones that are drug addicts (which is most of them) are universally police informants, which is why they get away with doing things that would get you or I arrested.

If hanging out with cops, criminals, and snitches who would cheerfully throw you under the bus for a promotion or a hit of dope sounds fun, by all means make lots of friends at Defcon.

pianohombre

So you're saying I should skip Defcon and just go see Carrot Top?  ;D

I used to go to "Defcon" meetings by typing in my zip code on their website while I was in school for computer science. I was hoping to learn more about computers, like try to install Linux or something. Usually only one or two people would show up and they always had these fake stories about how they hacked into like the FBI database or something. I saw some special on TV. The CIA was hosting seminars to college interns about cybersecurity to protect against foreign hackers (Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea, etc.) I'm sure they have a lot of neat tools, but what about Edward Snowden?
"Programming in itself is beauty,
whether or not the operating system actually functions." - Linus Torvalds

MysticLord

Quote from: pianohombre on May 06, 2022, 01:39:14 PM
So you're saying I should skip Defcon and just go see Carrot Top?  ;D

I used to go to "Defcon" meetings by typing in my zip code on their website while I was in school for computer science. I was hoping to learn more about computers, like try to install Linux or something. Usually only one or two people would show up and they always had these fake stories about how they hacked into like the FBI database or something. I saw some special on TV. The CIA was hosting seminars to college interns about cybersecurity to protect against foreign hackers (Russia, China, Iran, N. Korea, etc.) I'm sure they have a lot of neat tools, but what about Edward Snowden?
You'll meet talented people, yeah, but they're there at best to recruit you for the NSA or something. If that's something you want to do, go for it.

Back in like 2011-2014 there was some frumpy woman with a bad haircut and a wardrobe from a Mad Max movie running around inviting people to sex parties (presumably for blackmail purposes) while spouting technobabble word salad, but I forget her name.

So long as you understand that you're dealing with theatre club kids who think they're Machiavelli and you have some self-respect you can easily avoid stepping into something embarrassing.

tl;dr

https://files.catbox.moe/lx9s1r.png