News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

GB/GBC emulator

Started by Hulta, March 27, 2022, 08:04:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hulta

What is the best GB or GBC Emulator for playing the games, one emulator that supports playing both consoles?

KingMike

Please do not bump a decade old thread. Start a new one.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

aqualung

For Android, the emulators I see people mentioning the most are myboy, pizza boy and johngbc. For windows, I've always used bgb (maybe there are newer ones currently, but I am used to that one).

Bonesy

I'd go with bgb or mGBA. Avoid VBA. VBA-M might be better now but I doubt it.

Sliver X

Windows
-------
BGB
Mednafen
Retroarch with lr-gambatte

Linux
-----
Mednafen

Android
-------
GBC.emu (Not Free)
MyBoy! (Has a free version, but can't do save states IIRC?)

Bonesy

please don't use retroarch or suggest people use it

Sliver X

I'm going to continue using it and I'll probably suggest it next time I feel it's a valid answer, but thank you for your opinion on this matter.

Supergamerguy

Quote from: Bonesy on March 28, 2022, 02:35:25 AM
please don't use retroarch or suggest people use it

Wait, why not? It's a great frontend for a ton of different emulators, making it a lot easier to play what you want without having to switch between programs.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > 10 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Jorpho

I gather there's a lot of strange stuff going on behind the scenes with its politics, but last time I looked at Retroarch, I found its interface to be quite inscrutable.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bonesy

yeah even disregarding the ongoing crap with the devs the ui is terrible

mkwong98

Supergamerguy

The UI for Retroarch does take some getting used to, but it offers so many features and customization options in one package that it makes most other emulators pale in comparison.
Mega Man 7 > 3 > 2 > 9 > Wily Wars (with SRAM hack) > 5 > 6 > 4 > 10 > Powered Up > V(GB) > 1 > The Power Fighters > The Power Battle > IV(GB) > III(GB) > II(GB) > Dr. Wily's Revenge(GB) > Mega Man 8 > Mega Man and Bass > Mega Man (Game Gear) > Mega Man and Bass - Challengers from the Future

Sliver X

I don't even use its interface past initial configuration (I run it through frontends like Kodi, Emulation Station, etc).

And while TwinAphex/SquarePusher/Whatever He's Calling Himself This Week is one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever interacted with on the internet, it's the only viable way to play a lot of stuff on things like a Raspberry Pi.

I'll never contribute money to it, but I will use it. If the devs were smart they'd drop TwinAphex like the cancer he is and fork the damn thing already.

Chronosplit

Just get SameBoy.  It's about the most minimal and easy to use emulator I've ever seen in the best way possible, you just drag a game into the space and you're going.

Also, most likely the most accurate at this point though it's probably still very close between it and bgb (I haven't checked lately). SameBoy will even emulate speaker interference if you let it.

On mobile you probably want Pizza Boy Pro as it uses the dev's own code at the core.  MyBoy, MyOldBoy, and most other GBC/GBA emus on Android use pretty old code at the core and thus I do not recommend them.  Sure, there is SameBoy on mobile, but it's in RetroArch core form.  Refer to the above post about that.  :P