News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Older Games with Epilepsy

Started by julayla, March 23, 2022, 09:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gamingcat02261991

Quote from: The Beaky Buccaneer on June 01, 2022, 03:54:50 AM
Yeah, that's true - nobody really did much programming-wise until the Porygon incident.

Yeah, I think that the incident is known as "Pokemon Shock". And it wasn't Porygon's fault that widespread epilepsy struck Japan. Rather, it was the explosions of the missiles that Ash's Pikachu destroyed with its Thunderbolt that are really to blame. That's right: neither Pikachu nor Porygon are at fault.

Quote from: The Beaky Buccaneer on May 28, 2022, 05:18:55 AM
In the UK it's been well-known since the infamous "NINTENDO KILLED MY SON" newspaper headline in 1993. It led to better awareness of epilepsy and research into its links to video games, and most video game publishers included epilepsy-warning cards in their boxes after that.

I'd say both the UK newspaper headline and the banned episode of the Pokemon anime led to retro rereleases on Virtual Console and Nintendo Switch Online (+ Expansion Pack) reducing the epilepsy risks such as the recolored Switch Palace/Bonus Stage ground tiles, the aforementioned Kirby Super Star speedup and weird-acting sprites, Wario Land 3's map cutscenes being rendered in grayscale, and so on.

MD_Prometh

Mother 1's flashing lights in the final battle are pretty nuts

KingMike

In looking over old videos I uploaded to youtube, I see one old example I uploaded was another game that might not get rereleased,
Kickle Cubicle for the NES.
Can't remember if it was just the boss 3 cutscene which I uploaded, but that was one example of a game using flashing to create a fake layering effect in the cutscene. That'd probably be work to remove.
(I don't believe I've ever played through the NES version, just someone once managing to reach the ending of the more difficult Japanese version.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018