News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Xenogears 2.0 Patch released!  (Read 74890 times)

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: ROM Hacks: Xenogears 2.0 Patch released!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2007, 03:42:46 pm »
Well, you must consider that this patch was originally a "part" of our italian translation.
That would've handy to know earlier. ;D

We gave our users the opportunity to choose japanese or american controls when patching the game.
:o

Even the smallest improvement has sense, if it's not alone, doesn't it?
Ummm, I don't follow. I have a massive headache at the moment, so I'll come back after I've taken an aspirin and re-read and edit.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 03:53:28 pm »
Well, you must consider that this patch was originally a "part" of our italian translation.
That would've handy to know earlier. ;D

We gave our users the opportunity to choose japanese or american controls when patching the game.
:o

Even the smallest improvement has sense, if it's not alone, doesn't it?
Ummm, I don't follow. I have a massive headache at the moment, so I'll come back after I've taken an aspirin and re-read and edit.
That's what I mean: for instance, the "arrow" fix would be useless, were it alone.
However, even such a small thing can have its meaning in a bigger project, such a text translation.
Andd that can please users.

By the bye, I have the complete japanese script (and the american one, of course), so a complete retranslation it's possibile (even if the jap script was dumped with a different tool than the one we used; that shouldn't be a big problem, though).
But I warn you: the script is 2.2 MB big.

P.S. If someone wanna take a look at the american script (it lacks some menus, though), just download it from here.
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy
1st italian ROM translation group
http://www.sadnescity.it *********************** "Do you want to leave to your own eyes Only dreams that won't awaken you?" "Yes, Your Honour, but I want greater ones."

SidGallup

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 12:14:45 am »
this is cool. ok not to sound ignorant, but why didn't you just insert english text into the japanese version, this way it would have EVERYTHING original without and chance of error. Just curious.

Maybe because it',, be easier to find a US game and create an ISo from it, than dload the Japanese game to patch it... well, at least i'm lucky, i have the US Iso somewhere...  :-\

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 08:11:39 am »
I'm sorry but for a 300+mb patch this is a bit too little here, if it had something like everyones "text speed up" suggestion or a few more extras I would consider this patch worth while but as is its not. I hope you don't take this as an insult its just my opinion and hopfully you will gain something from this or if you don't agree with me will ignore it.

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:25:44 am »
I'm sorry but for a 300+mb patch this is a bit too little here, if it had something like everyones "text speed up" suggestion or a few more extras I would consider this patch worth while but as is its not. I hope you don't take this as an insult its just my opinion and hopfully you will gain something from this or if you don't agree with me will ignore it.

Mh, the japanes2chines patch has the text speed hack (and also, by pressing R2, the camera "flies" in the sky to show a complete map of the zone you are at the moment, but this makes the game easier), but, IMHO, one should not alter what the creators had in mind.

If you used the text speed option, you'd loose special text effects, such delays, accelerators (and pathos too, IMHO).

Xenogears is not a game meant to be played quickly.
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy
http://www.sadnescity.it *********************** "Do you want to leave to your own eyes Only dreams that won't awaken you?" "Yes, Your Honour, but I want greater ones."

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 08:53:15 am »

Mh, the japanes2chines patch has the text speed hack (and also, by pressing R2, the camera "flies" in the sky to show a complete map of the zone you are at the moment, but this makes the game easier), but, IMHO, one should not alter what the creators had in mind.

If you used the text speed option, you'd loose special text effects, such delays, accelerators (and pathos too, IMHO).

Once you have beaten a game you pretty much know the story and wish to get by parts you remember to a T. Its like making unskippable cutscenes, just plain bad programming. And what if you die and have to go through the same scene AGAIN? Blah gives me a headache just thinking about it. This is why I outright stopped playing some games thanks to having to go through a long part of the game again after dying (Sometimes my fault for not saving but most of the time their fault for not putting a save point between some things).
Basicly if they are using the text speed up hack they would have beaten the game before and thus have seen said effects.
Not having text speed up or cutscene skipping is a very VERY big flaw in games with heavey text or long cutscenes. I will never play the bouncer thanks to this as well as a few other games.

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 11:24:30 am »

Once you have beaten a game you pretty much know the story and wish to get by parts you remember to a T. Its like making unskippable cutscenes, just plain bad programming. And what if you die and have to go through the same scene AGAIN? Blah gives me a headache just thinking about it. This is why I outright stopped playing some games thanks to having to go through a long part of the game again after dying (Sometimes my fault for not saving but most of the time their fault for not putting a save point between some things).
Basicly if they are using the text speed up hack they would have beaten the game before and thus have seen said effects.
Not having text speed up or cutscene skipping is a very VERY big flaw in games with heavey text or long cutscenes. I will never play the bouncer thanks to this as well as a few other games.
Well, after all, I was talking from the point of view of the translator.
Had we add the max-speed option in our translation, it could have been used by people who don't know english and are trying the game for the first time in italian, and it could ruin the game experience.

In your case, it's a bit different.
If you really want it, you can simply use an AR code (and, if you don't have a real AR, a freeware boot disk will allow you to imput the code).
Besides, you can also use the text speed code with a Joker code, so that the "cheat" will be activated only by pressing R2 (or Select of what you want), instead of having it active during the whole game.
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 12:00:09 pm »

Had we add the max-speed option in our translation, it could have been used by people who don't know english and are trying the game for the first time in italian, and it could ruin the game experience.

If you really want it, you can simply use an AR code (and, if you don't have a real AR, a freeware boot disk will allow you to imput the code).
Besides, you can also use the text speed code with a Joker code, so that the "cheat" will be activated only by pressing R2 (or Select of what you want), instead of having it active during the whole game.

Then why not hack the game so the "cheat" is active and turned on and off with a press of r2? It could work quite well because it does not HAVE to be used.

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 05:11:52 pm »

Then why not hack the game so the "cheat" is active and turned on and off with a press of r2? It could work quite well because it does not HAVE to be used.
Use this code and you'll be fine:

D0059374 0002
300B21D6 0001

Press R2 before a dialogue box and the text will be much faster.

If you don't have a boot disc or a real AR, just download the Xploder from here.

If you don't like it, just do the hack by yourself.
We're not at your service.
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 07:06:55 pm »

If you don't like it, just do the hack by yourself.
We're not at your service.

I myself do not even like the game and don't really care either way. Basically I was just giving a suggestion. no need to get high a mighty with the "We are doing this because we want to, we're not at your service" stuff.
I almost didn't say anything because way to many people get snippy and think I am demanding something or badmouthing their stuff. Sorry pal but I'm just suggesting not requesting.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2007, 07:48:11 pm »
Enough. Quit your bickering. Use the cheat, don't use the cheat, hack in the cheat, don't hack in the cheat. Whatever. There's no need to discuss it further and degenerate this otherwise healthy topic.  :police:
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2007, 05:29:22 am »
Enough. Quit your bickering. Use the cheat, don't use the cheat, hack in the cheat, don't hack in the cheat. Whatever. There's no need to discuss it further and degenerate this otherwise healthy topic.  :police:

Dude that smileys awesome but tottally defeats its own point seeing as its hardly imposing and or enforcing. :P

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2007, 06:02:21 am »
Oh, it is, it is... :-[
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2007, 09:00:20 am »

Dude that smileys awesome but tottally defeats its own point seeing as its hardly imposing and or enforcing. :P

It's a sign of friendly enforcing. It also means unfriendly enforcing will follow if more enforcement is needed. :P
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2007, 02:54:08 pm »

It's a sign of friendly enforcing. It also means unfriendly enforcing will follow if more enforcement is needed. :P

But we don't have a unfriendly enforcment smiley. Well unless this works  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 05:26:59 pm »

But we don't have a unfriendly enforcment smiley. Well unless this works  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

We don't need one. With unfriendly enforcement, actions speak louder than words or smilies. ;)

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 03:04:09 am »
this is cool. ok not to sound ignorant, but why didn't you just insert english text into the japanese version, this way it would have EVERYTHING original without and chance of error. Just curious.

Maybe because it',, be easier to find a US game and create an ISo from it, than dload the Japanese game to patch it... well, at least i'm lucky, i have the US Iso somewhere...  :-\

ah, I see, well I figure most people are downloading it either way, and both are available. Thanks for pointing that out though, as long as it's accurate and the author doesn't mind the extra work, it's all good.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 03:59:27 pm »
  • Controls are put back to the original Japanese controls.
I never found the controls to be a problem. I was quite used to a custom style I had set up with Chrono Trigger at the time. In fact, the only gripe I had with the controls is when jump wouldn't work cause it was loading a battle. Was that fixed?

• Audio in the Full Motion Videos is in Japanese with English subtitles.
  • Voices in the game are back to the original Japanese ones (in battles + certain cutscenes).
Uh oh... First, these VA's aren't bad. You haven't heard bad until you here Precis in Star Ocean 2. ::) And even then it was possible to tolerate since you are never really forced to use her. I get the feeling this one is more of a "US versions always make crappy dubs, must be elitist" point of view.

• The weight unit in character's stats is back to kilos (.kgs instead of .lbs).
I can see both sides to this one, and really it's a matter of preference. :D

• Emeralda's icon eyebrow transparency is corrected.
That's why her eyes look like that?

• The selection arrow in shop menus doesn't overlap choices (Buy, Sell, Exit) anymore.
And of course my save file is on disc 2, not easy to check. Where was a shop in this disc...? Seems like a non-issue though, but I don't remember for sure. Anybody have a screenshot of this?

There were some issues that game could've seen addressing, and it doesn't sound like this patch does that. For now, I'll pass.

It's been a while since you've heard the FMVs in XenoGears then... it easily equals SO2.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Cidolfas

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Compendium
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 12:08:29 am »
You mean the four seconds of character-based FMV in the game? Something like that. What little FMV exists is mainly shots of mechanical stuff.

Xenogears is TORTURE to play through a second time, even though playing through it once means you're confused most of the time. The text speed is by far the worst aspect, though the rather bland localization comes in a close second.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:14 pm »
You have to admit though, those are some pretty fuckin' bad four seconds.

plus it's morel ike.... a minute or so.

Makes me glad XenoGears wasn't a PS2 game. Those 30 seconds would have been at least ten minutes. It would have KH2(Well, Aerith and Cid to be exact) all over again.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016