News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Xenogears 2.0 Patch released!  (Read 74924 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Xenogears 2.0 Patch released!
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:34:05 am »
Update By: Alcahest

Image 1

Hey to all ROM hackers and Xenogears lovers!
I finally released my Xenogears patch, dubbed "Xenogears 2.0 Patch".
It's a 370megs patch meant to be applied on the Xenogears USA CD1&2 images.
Here are the following enhancements:

• Controls are put back to the original Japanese controls.
  • In-game battle combos are back to the original Japanese ones (matching Japanese controls).
  • Audio in the Full Motion Videos is in Japanese with English subtitles.
  • Voices in the game are back to the original Japanese ones (in battles + certain cutscenes).
  • The weight unit in character's stats is back to kilos (.kgs instead of .lbs).
  • Emeralda's icon eyebrow transparency is corrected.
  • The selection arrow in shop menus doesn't overlap choices (Buy, Sell, Exit) anymore.

I am hosting the patch on my little ISP space, so please guys download 1 file at a time maximum ^^

You can reach the dedicated website here.

Relevant Link: (http://alcahest.club.fr/XG2.0/xg2.0.html)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 10:35:22 am by Nightcrawler »

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
Re: ROM Hacks: Xenogears 2.0 Patch released!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:42:15 am »
...Wow! I need to check this out. I guess I know waht my bandwidth will be doing after work  ;D

Moogy

• burn my dread
    • View Profile
    • tsukuru
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:54:10 am »
Hmm.  Pretty interesting.  I may check this out on my next Xenogears playthrough.

It'd be cool to see the FMVs without the ridiculously bad American voice acting.

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:40:25 am »
Funny...  I don't really remember there being that much voice acting in the cut scenes....  From what I do recall though, it was terribly out of sync.

z01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:46:36 am »
I am hosting the patch on my little ISP space, so please guys download 1 file at a time maximum ^^

You should probably consider using some file-sharing services like megaupload or sednspace or whatever. I'd recommend gigasize -- they store files for 90 or so days before deleting them for inactivity. This could save you a lot of bandwidth.

Good job, I say. 

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:13:12 pm »
I certainly think this is an interesting idea. I've had Xenogears for years and haven't had the motivation to finish it, maybe I should give this a shot. ^_^

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 01:30:14 pm »
At this point I don't really have any desire to go back through Xenogears, although this would interest me a whole lot more if you added text fastforwarding like most games support.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 01:56:23 pm »
Wow, that's cool.

gukid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 02:38:50 pm »
There should definitely be a torrent for this!  It's AWESOME!

One thing that has constantly bothered me about Sony localizations is the switching of X and O for the controls.  I played through some of FFXII in Japanese and now have the hardest time getting used to the US version.  Always wished that someone would find a way to make a generic patch for this sort of thing...

But back on the topic;  I can't WAIT to give this a try.  I've been wanting to play through Xenogears again and this will be the perfect thing.  Though do wish the text could be sped up a little bit if that's at all possible...

Ultimate

• RPG and Strategy Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 02:56:54 pm »
Oh my... this is really interesting. I like the idea of using kilos and I especially like the original japaneses voices + subtitles. Nothing against the controls, you just get used to it.

I guess I'll get this after the end of Bitgamer's Free Leech Weekend. After all Xenogears might have been machine gunned and has a lot of holes, but who cares...it's a great game and ID rules :D

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 03:36:31 pm »
By the way, if someone wants to change the mistranslated names, we (SadNES cITy) can help him, as we helped the creator of this patch.
Of course, one must prove to be serious about it. ;)
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy
1st italian ROM translation group
http://www.sadnescity.it *********************** "Do you want to leave to your own eyes Only dreams that won't awaken you?" "Yes, Your Honour, but I want greater ones."

Guadozoku

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 04:00:28 pm »
Does this patch speed up the text?

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 04:41:26 pm »
Does this patch speed up the text?

Can you read?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Animae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 06:53:01 pm »
Wow! Great accomplishment!  :) Haven't finished Xenogears yet, so I'll leave this patch for later if I want to play it one more time after I have finished it. But impressive work!

The Spoony Hou

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 05:00:48 am »
This patch is the avatar of the second coming of the messiah! All religions will become one, and true peace will reign on Earth!

Now, how about doing a patch for the Xenosaga games :P?

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 06:58:32 am »
It's somewhat interesting. I've never had problems with the dub (for the same reason as Castlevania SOTN ;D) or the swapped controls, but since I've still had to finish the game, I'll give it a try when I've got time to suck up your bandwith (currently at the university...)

At this point I don't really have any desire to go back through Xenogears, although this would interest me a whole lot more if you added text fastforwarding like most games support.

You'll really need flyingforward if you intend to go back through it.

I also recommend z1 option to prevent your bandwith being ruined by suckers like us ;)
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 01:09:28 pm »
I never found the controls to be a problem. I was quite used to a custom style I had set up with Chrono Trigger at the time. In fact, the only gripe I had with the controls is when jump wouldn't work cause it was loading a battle. Was that fixed?

• Voices in the game are back to the original Japanese ones (in battles + certain cutscenes).
Uh oh... First, these VA's aren't bad. You haven't heard bad until you here Precis in Star Ocean 2. ::) And even then it was possible to tolerate since you are never really forced to use her. I get the feeling this one is more of a "US versions always make crappy dubs, must be elitist" point of view.

I can see both sides to this one, and really it's a matter of preference. :D

That's why her eyes look like that?

• The selection arrow in shop menus doesn't overlap choices (Buy, Sell, Exit) anymore.
And of course my save file is on disc 2, not easy to check. Where was a shop in this disc...? Seems like a non-issue though, but I don't remember for sure. Anybody have a screenshot of this?

There were some issues that game could've seen addressing, and it doesn't sound like this patch does that. For now, I'll pass.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 01:32:14 pm »
You should be able to hit up Big Joe down where you grow up Emeralda. He has a shop there. I don't actually remember if there is another one on disc 2 anywhere.

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 02:54:23 pm »
I never found the controls to be a problem. I was quite used to a custom style I had set up with Chrono Trigger at the time. In fact, the only gripe I had with the controls is when jump wouldn't work cause it was loading a battle. Was that fixed?

Uh oh... First, these VA's aren't bad. You haven't heard bad until you here Precis in Star Ocean 2. ::) And even then it was possible to tolerate since you are never really forced to use her. I get the feeling this one is more of a "US versions always make crappy dubs, must be elitist" point of view.

I can see both sides to this one, and really it's a matter of preference. :D

That's why her eyes look like that?

And of course my save file is on disc 2, not easy to check. Where was a shop in this disc...? Seems like a non-issue though, but I don't remember for sure. Anybody have a screenshot of this?

There were some issues that game could've seen addressing, and it doesn't sound like this patch does that. For now, I'll pass.
Well, you must consider that this patch was originally a "part" of our italian translation.
We gave our users the opportunity to choose japanese or american controls when patching the game.

And, of course, those small bugfixes have more senses, if they're part of a complete translation (a sort of "bonus").

Even the smallest improvement has sense, if it's not alone, doesn't it?

(anyway, I too think the english dubbing was HORRIBLE.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 03:00:07 pm by Sephiroth 1311 »
Sephiroth 1311
member of SadNES cITy
1st italian ROM translation group
http://www.sadnescity.it *********************** "Do you want to leave to your own eyes Only dreams that won't awaken you?" "Yes, Your Honour, but I want greater ones."

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2007, 03:27:57 pm »
this is cool. ok not to sound ignorant, but why didn't you just insert english text into the japanese version, this way it would have EVERYTHING original without and chance of error. Just curious.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client