Looking for an active place where I can discuss SNES hacks

Started by MorteTorment, March 13, 2022, 03:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MorteTorment

If I can ask you to just stay a little bit on topic, keep in mind that I'm asking about SNES games, not the NES. I don't really care about the NES.

I've made a couple topics here asking for recommendations, and I noticed 2 things.

1. People will post in my topic ONCE, and when I reply to what they say, they don't return to the topic, which is especially bizarre. Seriously, just why?

2. People mostly just recommend NES games, Mario and Zelda games. Don't any of you play other hacks? Don't you play translations?

So, is there somewhere where I can go instead that has at least a decently active community of people that play a lot of hacks?

Jorpho

Quote from: MorteTorment on March 13, 2022, 03:42:57 PMPeople will post in my topic ONCE, and when I reply to what they say, they don't return to the topic, which is especially bizarre. Seriously, just why?
Have you considered that the problem might be the way that you are writing your posts, and that they might get similar reactions elsewhere? You haven't even made that many posts here yet.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MorteTorment

I made 2 topics, and...well, like I said. This community isn't very active.

Also,The problem isn't just that I'm noy able to get many recommendations, it's that I can't find many people acyively discussing hacks regularly.

PowerPanda

I'd love to see more of that on this website. The most active forum is the "personal projects" page, where people discuss hacks individually there. However, for me, who usually doesn't announce any of my hacks until they are ready for release, there's not much point in me having a project page.

I haven't seen your other posts, but I'll look for them later.

Jorpho

Quote from: MorteTorment on March 13, 2022, 04:21:39 PM
I made 2 topics, and...well, like I said. This community isn't very active.
Your last post in your other thread was a trainwreck, to be frank. If you "suck at html" (or BBcode, presumably), maybe you should get better at that? It's not that difficult.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devisut by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ThroughT1m3

Something to think about. take it as you will. I commented on your post because you asked for recommendations. I recommended you games I thought where either extremely impressive works or what I liked. then, you posted a somewhat rude comment about how all we ever recommend is Mario and Zelda. why would I even reply to that? What would either of us gain from that?
Most people come here to learn, talk about our hacks or get information from each other. Most people don't come here to talk about what hacks to play. Sure, RHDN isn't as active as years past, but maybe if we had more hackers and less complainers that don't have any projects going on or contributions, it would be much more active.
BTW, it seems more people here hack NES games than others
"Keep dodging lights, like a thief in the night. The sun will rise and expose all our lies. So why deny that you and I lead different lives? The rivers from your eyes can't change my mind"

PolishedTurd

I too would like to see more activity in the forum, including a wider range of games and consoles discussed. I'm also disappointed to see so much attention paid to Mario and Zelda and RPGs as opposed to my own favorite games that I wish would get even a fraction of the attention those games get.

As the facts stand, these consoles are old, the projects are driven strictly by passion, and it is the games that inspire the most passion among the most people that live on in this community. I accept that. Games beget their own legacy, and we don't get to choose it individually. Sometimes one or two people will do a deep dive on a game and produce some excellent tools or research. If they happen to choose a game you like, lucky you!

Otherwise, I have received tremendous help over the years here with some of my own hacking goals from people who have hacked unrelated games. They gained nothing from helping me, other than perhaps their own satisfaction, and I'm grateful. To me, that is what this forum is about.

In your post about recommendations, my impression is that people took you at your word and made some suggestions. Reserving judgment as much as I can, your response comes across as rude. Think of ways you might prompt people to exclude games you are less interested in, in a way that does not disdain them or the community. Imagine visiting someone's house for dinner and saying "Is that all you people eat? Spaghetti?!" instead of "Do you have any fruits or vegetables?"

Not trying to be pedantic, just hoping to put things in perspective.

MorteTorment

Quote from: Jorpho on March 13, 2022, 10:09:47 PM
Your last post in your other thread was a trainwreck, to be frank. If you "suck at html" (or BBcode, presumably), maybe you should get better at that? It's not that difficult.

Yeah, I've never really understood hmtl, I understand why people wouldn't reply to it, sorry.

Sliver X

My first instinct was to reply with a massive list of NES Mario and Zelda ROM hacks, but I try to be better than that nowadays. So instead I'll offer you some advice:

1) No one here owes you anything. Be glad that people are even bothering to reply once to your posts, especially considering the tone you present in them.
2) Berating people about not conceding to your demands only makes them ignore you.
3) This is an extremely niche hobby driven by people who do it for the sake of wanting to do it, and enjoyed by people for their own reasons. Some rando on the internet moaning about everyone not playing what they like isn't going to make you any friends, nor accomplish whatever it is you're trying to pull off here. See Point 2.
4) Nobody likes a whiner.
5) If you really want something bad enough, figure it out yourself. You can sort by system, genre, etc in all the hacks and translations here, and a lot even have user reviews. If you can't find things you like doing that, it's crazy and rude to expect others to do it for you due to your own shortcomings.

Here and on the Discord server (As "EchoBaz"), you exhibit passive aggressive behavior when you don't get what you want, when you want it. I'm guessing this is either due to not having much interaction with people, or if so, seriously dysfunctional interaction. This comes across as extremely childish and entitled.

This post was brought to you by the Letter F and the Number 0.

PowerPanda

To add on to what Sliver X posted, note that most of the people on this site have a very low tolerance for drama of any kind. We've all been around the block before on people getting super passionate about their pet projects, or getting really huffy over which version of a game "should" be hacked (and why you're a genuinely evil person if you prefer the other version). This is a hobby that tends to attract certain... eccentricities. Now, we love those people, and they oftentimes do great work, but we all learned long ago to bail on any discussion where the slightest hint of drama is brewing.

me_wolf

You can try ResetEra -- lots more gamers than techies (rhdn)

MorteTorment

Quote from: Sliver X on March 15, 2022, 03:42:54 PM
My first instinct was to reply with a massive list of NES Mario and Zelda ROM hacks, but I try to be better than that nowadays. So instead I'll offer you some advice:

1) No one here owes you anything. Be glad that people are even bothering to reply once to your posts, especially considering the tone you present in them.
2) Berating people about not conceding to your demands only makes them ignore you.
3) This is an extremely niche hobby driven by people who do it for the sake of wanting to do it, and enjoyed by people for their own reasons. Some rando on the internet moaning about everyone not playing what they like isn't going to make you any friends, nor accomplish whatever it is you're trying to pull off here. See Point 2.
4) Nobody likes a whiner.
5) If you really want something bad enough, figure it out yourself. You can sort by system, genre, etc in all the hacks and translations here, and a lot even have user reviews. If you can't find things you like doing that, it's crazy and rude to expect others to do it for you due to your own shortcomings.

Here and on the Discord server (As "EchoBaz"), you exhibit passive aggressive behavior when you don't get what you want, when you want it. I'm guessing this is either due to not having much interaction with people, or if so, seriously dysfunctional interaction. This comes across as extremely childish and entitled.

This post was brought to you by the Letter F and the Number 0.

I apologize, I'lll try to do better.

March 16, 2022, 01:20:19 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Quote from: me_wolf on March 15, 2022, 10:58:10 PM
You can try ResetEra -- lots more gamers than techies (rhdn)

Hmm, ResetEra has a lot of people that love game hacks?

me_wolf

I don't think there is a forum that has lots who love game hacks, but they have some people who know about them. Which isn't much different from here or reddit.

March 16, 2022, 09:56:31 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Maybe gbatemp.net you'll find some people.

FAST6191

"You can try ResetEra"
I see we have a funny man. That said going by efforts in this thread thus far we might get a new record for banned from resetera speedrun so there is that.

Quote from: me_wolf on March 16, 2022, 09:43:38 AM
I don't think there is a forum that has lots who love game hacks, but they have some people who know about them. Which isn't much different from here or reddit.

March 16, 2022, 09:56:31 AM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Maybe gbatemp.net you'll find some people.

Not for SNES stuff, and most of that will be more focused on those SNES games that appeared on the GBA or maybe getting things to run on emulators ( https://web.archive.org/web/20071214223802/http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/SNES_Advance_Compatibility_List#M and such being sharply limited where hacks frequently wander into uses special chip territory, though some also kind of went into getting things to run on limited devices). GBA, DS, 3ds and wii hacks, possibly Switch when hacking takes up in earnest there beyond cheats and 60fps patches, might stand a better chance but that is not SNES. What SNES stuff there is will probably reference rhdn for the downloads and be mostly bugfixes, retranslations, maybe the odd level pack for smaller games (nobody likely caring about mario) and total conversions that would also be prominent among this site.

OP might actually be better served by going to game specific hacking or hacking friendly forums -- various super mario boards tend to be aware of the hacks available (though they can also be drama factories. Acmlm's Board might be a start), final fantasy also (here other than the Woolsey Slattery and bugfixes you are likely to not get much by way of discussion on the merits of the hacks themselves), maybe whatever remains of insane difficulty (though clue is in the name as to what they deal with. http://ngplus.net/InsaneDifficultyArchive/www.insanedifficulty.com/board/indexc4cd.html?app=ccs for a start down that path) and possibly mario kart (though most seem more concerned with ripping tracks from that rather than adding things to it).
Other languages can also be a thing -- while general and game specific (and audio and emulator level and...) can afford to fracture off in the English speaking world then a lot of other languages save perhaps Chinese and what little there is for Japanese general would split the user base too much. Though a lot of those also did not make it past the mid 2010s.

As far as here serving as the basis for discussions then I do also find most are quite content to congratulate each other on technical accomplishments and offer advice on technical aspects but if you are expecting more general game discussion "Oh I liked that level" or even that which you might get from speedrunning sites where people still consider things in detail then good luck there.
You can try to be the change you wish to see, maybe a series highlighting some specific hacks or hacks targetting certain aspects, but good luck again.

The Beaky Buccaneer

With this subject-matter the technical side is naturally going to be the dominant one whereas discussion of hacks to play tends to end up scattered across specific fandoms instead (as long as they allow such discussions), so I'm pretty sure that there's not a "ROM-hack Players" type of community out there, though admittedly I haven't felt a need to look for one. That said, as far as finding hacks of interest goes, I've found both this site's user reviews and YouTube videos showing individual hacks or system-specific montages to be the best bets.

I don't tend to lean towards higher-difficulty hacks (the only exception being Donkey Kong Country 2 - The Lost Levels, which isn't listed here on RHDN anyway), so I haven't been able to suggest anything in your other threads.

Per FAST6191's suggestion about being the change that you want to see, I signed up here to submit reviews of hacks/homebrew that I enjoy, even though I don't have the skills necessary for ROM-hacking myself (and can't think of anything that I would want to make even if I did), because I find the reviews written by others to be a useful resource and wanted to give something back. It's worth doing if you encounter hacks that you like (or that you would like to see improve), since it will hopefully contribute to growing the hobby somewhere along the line, and maybe giving rise to the sorts of discussions that you would like to see.

Spooniest

Posting in a forum to complain about the users of that forum's reactions to previous posts is so questionable in terms of logic that it borders on becoming a singularity. Like, are you picking a fight with the forum? Why would anyone do that, that's like, a whole plate and a half of harsh browns you're serving up duder, I'm gonna need some ketchup

Mellow out a little
Yamero~~!

MorteTorment

Quote from: Spooniest on March 20, 2022, 02:58:36 AM
Posting in a forum to complain about the users of that forum's reactions to previous posts is so questionable in terms of logic that it borders on becoming a singularity. Like, are you picking a fight with the forum? Why would anyone do that, that's like, a whole plate and a half of harsh browns you're serving up duder, I'm gonna need some ketchup

Mellow out a little

I'm sorry. I have mellowed out, and I'm trying to be better.

chillyfeez

There's a fair amount of general hack chatter on the FFIV Ultima discord, which itself is a SNES hack. You're welcome to join if you'd like. We are very active.
https://discord.gg/sgb8p5h

I'd prefer if you played our hack, but...
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4134/
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo