News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

DK Anniversary collection update?

Started by therealtaftq, March 08, 2022, 12:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

therealtaftq

Hi. I'm thinking of making an update to the DK Anniversary Collection (which should show up on the site soon). I already know what I'd want to do for the original DK, but I'm not sure if it would be possible or not.

1. Is there any way to add a 4th color to Donkey Kong's sprites? Everything's accurate to the arcade version except him, and he looks ugly compared to everything else because of it.

2. 25m's palette is a bit weird because of technical limitations. I was thinking of making the oil barrel use the palette for Pauline's stuff so I can make the rest of the level look like it should. Would that be possible?

3. For some ungodly reason, changing the palette the cement tubs in 50m use breaks the graphics. Would there be a way to get around this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Update: While I was typing this, I found a pretty decent compromise for the DK thing. It would still be nice to have a 4-colored DK though.

ShadowOne333

Quote from: therealtaftq on March 08, 2022, 12:03:12 PM
Hi. I'm thinking of making an update to the DK Anniversary Collection (which should show up on the site soon). I already know what I'd want to do for the original DK, but I'm not sure if it would be possible or not.

1. Is there any way to add a 4th color to Donkey Kong's sprites? Everything's accurate to the arcade version except him, and he looks ugly compared to everything else because of it.

2. 25m's palette is a bit weird because of technical limitations. I was thinking of making the oil barrel use the palette for Pauline's stuff so I can make the rest of the level look like it should. Would that be possible?

3. For some ungodly reason, changing the palette the cement tubs in 50m use breaks the graphics. Would there be a way to get around this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Update: While I was typing this, I found a pretty decent compromise for the DK thing. It would still be nice to have a 4-colored DK though.

I'll try to answer each question to the best of my abilities:

1) NES has a limitation of 3 colours per sprite and the 4th is used transparency (background colour).
One way of giving Donkey Kong 4 colours would be to super-impose an extra sprite with another palette attached it, similar to what the Megaman games do with Megaman's face.

2) Sounds quite feasible. You probably only need to find out the attribute table for the barrel's and change it so they use Pauline's palette.

3) How does changing the palette of the tubs break the graphics, precisely?
If you could share an image, that would help a lot. Also, be sure you're only modifying the palette data and not some other table which might have data values similar to the palette you're trying to change.

therealtaftq

1. I know that. The way I was thinking of doing it (and I think is the way the arcade version does it) is making it so Donkey Kong's head uses a different palette than the rest of his body.

2. Just to clarify, I was talking about the palette for Pauline's items (the things that give you points), not Pauline herself.
I also found out that 25m doesn't have a unique palette for them anyway, which kind of throws a wrench in that idea.
And by the barrel, I meant the oil barrel behind where you spawn. Other than that, yeah, makes sense.

3. Your guess is as good as mine.
Things start off normal, but once you get to 50m, this happens:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aXClqGv1pkxQw4Y6Jd7qJmbKC71FlfVi/view?usp=sharing
I know for a fact that it's the palette for the cement tubs I changed (they looked fine), but for some reason, it's apparently load-bearing.
The palette's in a weird place, so that could have something to do with it.

Oh, and speaking of Pauline's items, how easy/hard would it be to re-implement the hat from the arcade version? It would only be used for one level (or more, I can't remember), but it would add a little extra accuracy.