News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Site: ROM Hacks Section is Open!  (Read 6534 times)

RHDNBot

Site: ROM Hacks Section is Open!
« on: January 26, 2006, 06:44:25 pm »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Nightcrawler

I promised everybody a ROM Hacks section on launch day and it's now time for me to deliver! The Hacks section introduces a few new features to the site as well as marks the next step toward giving all of you, the community, the power.

FIRST, You may be about to complain and say there are only a few hacks in this section. That's where YOU come in. As I have stated in the past, this site is moving away from relying on staff to do everything. You can now use the 'Submit Hack' section to actually submit a hack to the database (via the same form we do!) and create the new page for it! As soon as your submission is approved, it will go directly into the database as is!

YOU have the power to put all the hacks you think should be preserved in the archive on the site. Don't complain to us that your favorite hack isn't there. Add it yourself! You don't have to be a hack author to add a hack to the site.

In addition to that, the hacks section has now added column heading ordering capabilities to your search results.  You can now click on a column heading and order your results the way you want! These capabilities will be added to the rest of the site once we're sure all the bugs are worked out with the hacks section.

This is our first test case. If all goes well with this section, we will add these features to the rest of the sections, and pursue the next step of allowing you to edit database entries yourself(subject to staff approval)if you see a mistake or missing update etc.

So, let's continue to band together and make this community Hacks section one of the most comprehensive and best around!

NOTE: You must have a board/site account and be logged in to submit a hack.

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks)

Zeality

• View Profile
Re: Site: ROM Hacks Section is Open!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 12:22:14 pm »
CT Coliseum is ready to go. I'm going to withold Crimson Echoes until the new demo comes out, but someone else can add it if you insist.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 11:47:02 am »
Zeality made me think of something, if we submit a hack and later update it (Say a bugfix or something), how would one go about getting the page updated? Resubmit the hack or send it to a staff member?

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:10:44 pm »
submit news to the front page. whoever approves the news will update the database.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:12:48 pm »
Yup, that's what you'll have to do for now, or just use the 'Contact Staff' form, but then you won't get a news post.

If all goes ok with the public hacks submissions, I will begin to add some entry editing capabilities, but that's going to take quite a bit of code and I won't be doing that for awhile.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Radiation

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:43 am »
Whoop whoop whoop I sent in both of my Arn's Winter Quest hacks. Now stay tuned for Arn2Ripped!

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 09:51:17 am »
I've got a question for you.

Is there any particular reason you decided to write 'yeah right' and 'Like THAT's gonna work' in the titlescreen URL field? How can I approve something like that? You didn't take it seriously. If you read the overview on the page, you'd know the form goes into the database.  You need to fill it out seriously.  Why would you do something like that? I would really like to know.

Secondly, not a requirement, but you might want to separate the large gif into 4 smaller images to go with the page design better. Otherwise, it's only going to show a single shrunken image of that larger gif.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Radiation

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 05:14:43 pm »
Yeah, I had to fill this out in five minutes like in the morning or something so I had to do something fast. Maybe it was a bad idea, but if you'll play my hack I think you'll probably figure out why. I'm waaaaay too laid back. Like if there was a tax form, I'd probably make up half the answers.

Anyway, my title screens are exactly the same as the original EarthBound title screens because I really didn't have anything interesting to put in there. That's another reason why I filled them out incorrectly. Also, I'm aware of the shrinking problem and maybe I'll fix it for Gway Edition, but I don't think I'll do it for the original for the sake of maintaining the sense of crappiness that the hack is based on. Uh... so... yeah.

Unshrunken pictures here, here, here, and here.

Sorry for the laidbackness, forgot not everyone shares my sense of humor or knows me personally.

Although they should.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 07:05:30 pm »
Well the computer and system have no sense of humor and will not approve and process things filled out like that.

This time only, I have fixed up the entry for Gway addition and approved it(The Hack was glitchy as hell by the way with graphical defects when I tried it out).  I had to delete the other one.  There was no filename in those URL's.  That cannot be processed either.

You can resubmit a better entry if you want.

In the future, please take submissions seriously or forms like that will be unapproved and deleted automatically without a second look.

Radiation

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 09:27:01 pm »
yeah oops crap I forgot a very important fact: Gway Edition requires 6MB ROM expansion and the original requires 4MB. If you don't expand, then the hack is super-buggy and pretty much unplayable to the point of insanity. I'm not that mean, just forgetful. I'm not stupid enough to submit a hack that has super-bugged out graphics, just completely fatal errors that affect gameplay.

Sorry, dude, but if this is so offensive to you, maybe... you shouldn't play my hack...? The main draw is the fact that all the conversations don't make any sense and had no context to begin with.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 09:41:12 pm by Radiation »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 09:22:34 am »
Any reason why you didn't include the expansion in the patch? If you make the patch off the original ROM, I believe it will work just fine.  That's also what a readme is for as well.  You might want to include notes like that in your .dat or readme file in the archive.

Requiring people to expand the ROM first before applying the patch will probably shut out a good portion of the possible audience.  Take it from me, so many people have trouble applying an ips file let alone expanding a ROM first.

I'm not offended by your patch.  I'm simply irritated by your submission.  This new public direct to database system is the quickest and most efficient system on any romhacking site requiring the least amount of work for everyone.  But in turn, people need to take the submission seriously.  It won't process when you fill it out like you did.

Being that it's new, I've been taking the time to help people out rather than letting the entries be automatically deleted because they were unfit to add to the database.  The integrity of the site is dependent on the integrity of the submissions.  I hope you can understand that.

In closing, I added notation in the patch description about the ROM expansion for the Gway edition.