News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Megaman Legends Hack crashing issue

Started by Zapping Led, February 21, 2022, 10:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapping Led

Okay, so I'm currently working on a translation patch for the first Megaman Legends game on PS1 to celebrate its 25Th anniversary and everything worked great until now. I've basically translated the whole game but I've just discovered that the game crashes on one of the last cutscenes (the one where you talk to the mayor before you leave the island).

Luckily, there's a crash handler that (hopefully) explains what went wrong, but I'm not really much of a programmer, I mostly use utilities made by other programmers to translate, so I have no idea on how to read it. It says: EXCEPTION=ADES 8002FBCC

I've played the original IMG file and the scene plays just fine, so I'm pretty sure that it's not a corruption issue.
I have only changed MSG and XA files, so my guess is that I've messed up some text that the game needs to load in that particular scene?

I really don't know what to do. Also, the translation is like, 95% complete so it really stings that this crash only happens in the scene before the credits....anyway, if you know what this crash screen is about or if you have any suggestions on how to identify the error, please let me know. Thanks in advance, guys!

FAST6191

You could identify it via debugging/programming methods but the usual first pass if you are unwilling or unable is to add more and more of the patch in until it breaks, or indeed just those areas plausibly associated with the scene in question. Careful using savestates if you are going to try those to skip aspects -- if you load a savestate while the original or hacked but broken stuff is in it might not reload from the disc before attempting to run it.
For text based things then incorrect pointers or incorrect characters tend to be the culprits, lack of space (while it is a CD it still has to be copied to memory to run and the PS1 has a whopping 2 megabytes in total to handle everything, on far newer devices with double the memory we have run into lack of memory issues before when going between Japanese and not that).
I will also note a lot of credits text, for which end scene might be part of it, can be a different setup to the main game as far as fonts, encoding, handling and such like.

MD_Prometh

Hopefully you can sort this issue, would be very interested in a translation patch for Legends. Hopefully one day Tron Bonne and Legends 2 will get the same treatment.

Out of curiosity, would this hack also reinstate the Japanese music that was removed from NA / PAL versions?

Zapping Led

Quote from: FAST6191 on February 21, 2022, 11:26:06 AM
if you load a savestate while the original or hacked but broken stuff is in it might not reload from the disc before attempting to run it.
Now that you mention it, I think that the save files may have something to do with it. I've never used savestates, but I've noticed that, even by using the game's 'regular' save files, the game stores some of the texts in the save file itself, so even if I change the file, the changes won't actually be read unless I begin a new game.

I didn't notice that before, but this could be the reason why I can't find the broken file...because when I load the game, it actually loads the file saved on the memory card. I'll try to look into that first. Thanks for the advice :)

Quote from: MD_Prometh on February 21, 2022, 01:47:09 PM
Out of curiosity, would this hack also reinstate the Japanese music that was removed from NA / PAL versions?
Yeah, both the Ending theme and the Record Store song

February 23, 2022, 12:07:07 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

Okay, little update! There is a specific file that I can't change anymore. There's probably an error I've made when I first imported this file, but the thing is, even if I try to update it, when I open the game it still loads the old file. I'm not using savestates. Even if I start a new game, the game still loads the old, broken file. Any ideas on what to do next?

FAST6191

Is the file/data located anywhere else? Many times we have seen developers leave random development files around, or pad things out with said same.

nanashi89

Zapping Led

Quote from: FAST6191 on February 23, 2022, 02:18:53 PM
Is the file/data located anywhere else? Many times we have seen developers leave random development files around, or pad things out with said same.
Oh my gosh yes!! Thank you so much for suggesting that! I was positive that this MSG file only appeared in 3 bin files, but it turns out that it is inside two more files, that I didn't even consider in over a month of translation! I've changed those two and the game worked perfectly :')

MD_Prometh

Will the cutscenes be subtitled? Did you figure out some sort of reverse engineering to add subs?

Zapping Led

Quote from: MD_Prometh on February 24, 2022, 01:10:18 PM
Will the cutscenes be subtitled? Did you figure out some sort of reverse engineering to add subs?
Quote from: nanashi89 on February 23, 2022, 02:39:52 PM
Will it be undubbed with English Subs?
Unfortunately no... This is going to be an Italian patch, complete with a whole new dub. I'd love to play an undubbed patch of DASH, but as I said, I'm not really a programmer and adding subtitles would be waaay outta my league. Anyways, thank you so much for your help! :D

tvtoon

This series is very picky about the XA tags, so if you are replacing audio, always take a look at the original values on the CD image. I bet it does crash like hell, I still need to build up the details but perhaps you can do that first. :)