News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Breath of Fire: War of the Goddess v1.03

Started by FlamePurge, February 19, 2022, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodimus Primal

Congrats on this project. I needed an excuse to play through BoF1 again and this certainly gives me reason. BTW, SNESDrunk just featured this in his latest video!

FlamePurge

Check out and discuss my projects

Sarah Shinespark

This is going in my to-play list after your Lufia 1 Restored, and after I 100% FF6PR.

Roric

Fei Wong

THANK YOU! thank you thank you!!!! putting right now onto my everdrive and replaying it!!! :beer: :thumbsup: :woot!: :woot!: :woot!:

FlamePurge

Sorry for another update so soon. I noticed the prologue scroll (If you sit at the title screen and listen to the full song) had some text that doesn't make sense. It implied the Empire already had possession of the goddess, even though their entire conquest is so they can find the keys to unseal her. That's been fixed; I referenced KWhazit's site for inspiration on how to correct this.

Otherwise, I noticed an inconsistency regarding past/present tense for narration and I fixed it. These issues will probably crop up since they're not technically typos or grammatical errors.

Unrelated to the game, I've included Writer's Notes in this release, similar to Ryusui's Translator's Notes. I hope this helps explain my rationale.

DragonSpikeXIII

Great idea for a romhack :thumbsup:

Congratulations and thanks guys!

MD_Prometh

That's neat.

I wonder if there'll ever be an addendum to the Ryuusui translation of BOF II. It's a great effort for the time, but the random usages of terms like the R word can feel a bit out of place.

91-MPH

Quote from: MD_Prometh on March 07, 2022, 01:44:53 PM
That's neat.

I wonder if there'll ever be an addendum to the Ryuusui translation of BOF II. It's a great effort for the time, but the random usages of terms like the R word can feel a bit out of place.

I wouldn't mind if there was an addendum patch for the Ryuusi translation of BOF II that restores any of the vanilla graphics that were changed in the fan translation (not that I want the censorship to be restored).

FlamePurge

Quote from: MD_Prometh on March 07, 2022, 01:44:53 PM
That's neat.

It was controversial at the time, but I wouldn't want to touch his work. Especially since altering the game makes the bootup checksum verification fail.

Quote from: 91-MPH on March 07, 2022, 03:05:09 PM
I wouldn't mind if there was an addendum patch for the Ryuusi translation of BOF II that restores any of the vanilla graphics that were changed in the fan translation (not that I want the censorship to be restored).
I'd love that, too, in all honesty. At the least changing the menu window colors back to purple, lol. (I know battle windows were plum, but I'm not sure two colors can be used anymore with d4s' new routine.) Nothing I can do, though, and Justin's probably not interested so we shouldn't ask.

MD_Prometh

That's understandable, and yeah, seems like some of the romcheck things cause a lot of complications.

On the topic of addendums, it'd be nice to see an FFVIII retranslation patch that reverted back all of the "Whatevers" that were put in the English localisation, which dramatically changed Squall's character. Not sure if you've worked on much CD stuff tho

FlamePurge

I don't really have a desire to start any new projects, least of all FFVIII. Sorry.

defiant718

Sorry for such a newbie question. But how do I apply this patch?

FlamePurge

Hi there. My patching guide will probably help. :)

How to Patch Most ROM Hacks

1. Get a ROM of the game you wish to patch. Ensure its region matches that of the base project: U, E, J, etc.

I can't help you find a ROM. Your best bet is to use your search engine of choice. No parties involved in this fan project accept liability for damage incurred to the end-user, their OS, their hardware, etc. while downloading from ROM-hosting sites. However, please note that your browser should be able to catch any issues prior to downloading; adding to that, always ensure you scan a file with your antivirus program before you un-ZIP it.

2. Use ROMhacking.net's online ROM patcher. https://www.romhacking.net/patch/

This can be used on any OS. Where it says "ROM file:", click the "Choose File" button. Navigate to ROM stored on your computer.

For a SNES game, the patcher will detect if there is a header or not. Headers were once necessary for copiers, or devices that would let you play ROMs on a real SNES before the advent of modern conveniences. Most projects these days ask for no header, but please take note of its requirements on its RHDN page. (It will appear in the sidebar on the left, under "Patching Information.") If the SNES ROM's header status doesn't match that of the project, the game won't load.

The patcher can add a SNES header:

Or remove it:

If a project says it needs a ROM with no header, and your ROM already lacks one, you can skip this step. Same thing with a ROM with a header.

After you've acquired a ROM and patch, possibly dealing with its header or lack thereof, click the colored "Apply patch" button in the lower right, and your patched ROM will download.

3. Load the file into your emulator of choice.

Emulation is easy once you get the hang of it, but I won't be covering that in this guide. Please refer to FantasyAnime's "Emulation for Newbies" tutorials for more information.

Breath of Fire: War of the Goddess does not require a header. I hope this was helpful.

FlamePurge

v1.03 is now up.

- Restored fusion Shin's forest-walking ability (Courtesy of Justin3009)
- Renamed Khurah to Drack, to restore Dracula reference

Please let this be the last update. I'm sick of looking at this project.

Sarah Shinespark

FlamePurge

Lol, maybe. I just didn't connect that "kyuura" came from "dorakyuura". Either way, calling him "Feminine ass" doesn't fly lol

Edit - As long as there aren't any typos or I didn't bungle directions somehow, I want this to be the last time I ever touch this stupid thing. I hate it a lot and regret making it. I had hoped maybe there would be merit to it, but I've mostly gotten random, impossible feature requests or being otherwise told this was a waste of time.

- "Why isn't this a true retranslation?"
- "You put in a single Resident Evil 1 reference, therefore that means this is full of memes and jokes at every turn, therefore this is not worth playing."
- "Why isn't this based on the GBA version?"
- "Why didn't you recode the game to add ability descriptions?"
- "Why didn't you recode the game to add more detailed item descriptions?"
- "Why doesn't this do the same things Ryusui's hack does, with new menu backgrounds and a proportional font?"
- "I found a typo and I refuse to report it until after your next update." (???)
- "Even though the in-game names are [claw]Iron and [claw]Icy, you call them Iron Nails and Icy Nails in your documentation, therefore I'm not playing this."
- "Why didn't you use the XP tables from my hack?"
- "Why didn't you reduce the random encounter rate?"
- "Why did you restore Karn?"
- "Why didn't you restore Karn's lips?"
- "Expand the item names, now."
- "Add these GameGenie codes as an in-game toggle."
- "Can you work on Breath of Fire II Retranslated to remove the menu changes and revert the opening?"
- "This makes me want you to work on Final Fantasy VIII."
- "Revert the icons back to abbreviations."
- "Why is the Boomerang called Saber, even though it's not?"
- "Remove the swapping of Debo and Shin. I don't like it."

my skillset is known as being limited. i just put in the same amount of dedication and care as i did for all of my projects, but this time it wasn't enough. i don't understand. it's been really discouraging; part of me figured this was going to be my last new romhacking project, especially since i've accomplished all my other dream projects. i just wish my last one had seen me go out with a bang, not a fizzle.

JJaANF

I'd like to make fizzles as good as yours...

:thumbsup:

Thanatos-Zero

For some odd reason I cannot use the first fusion spell despite that all my 8 party members are in top condition.

Did something like a accidental rewrite for the fusion spells happen?

FlamePurge

If you had read the description fully, you would know that the first two fusions have been swapped.

Debo is now found in Guntz, and costs 10 AP. It fuses Danq with Gobi and Bild, but can only be used underwater. It is now available for use during a portion of the story in which you'll actually be underwater. Before, you obtained it after you were done in the sea and it had no purpose.

Cheyenne is now found in Gust, and costs 15 AP. It fuses Danq with Gary and Gobi, and like Gary, can walk through forests (As of v1.03). Before, no one had any reason to use Debo over Cheyenne aside from exploiting the Game Over bug.