ROM Hacks: Castlevania AoS (USA) - Symphony of the Colors UPDATE by JonataGuitar

Started by RHDNBot, February 03, 2022, 10:07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHDNBot

Update By: sorrow

Behold, EVEN MORE Brand New colors for Castlevania Aria of Sorrow.

Play through the vanilla Aria of Sorrow experience, but with a new visual style inspired by Castlevania Symphony of the Night!

JonataGuitar recolored the following categories:

*Backgrounds
*Animations
*Player Characters and NCPs
*Enemies

As this patch only aims to change palettes, they may or may not work with other AoS patches.  Test on your own and find out!

Use of the two patches were tested (very briefly) with the ALTER patch for AoS.  

Initial testing seemed to have BOTH of the patches work fine, with no crashing/resets due to the cheat protection of the ALTER patch, leading one to believe they should be fine for a full playthrough, though YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

To use with ALTER, your AoS rom must be patched with ALTER FIRST, and THEN apply one of the Recolor Patches.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Chicken Knife

My initial reaction to the work done here was extremely positive. The game would have looked a lot better played on a monitor with darker palettes. So, thank you for taking this on and achieving that result.

However, when I started really studying the differences in the screenshots, I saw some changes to the original design choices that go beyond darkening the palettes. The maid's garb for instance has has gone from purple to black, among other changes. At least for me, it's a big turn off for me to see the original choices altered like that. I'd really love the idea of a  more conservative version that only served to darken things.

sorrow

Hello Chicken Knife.  While I appreciate you taking the time to comment, I just have to say these patches don't simply "darken the palettes."

"Darkening the palettes" technically could be done by just altering the brightness settings on your emulator or display.

It's a complete recolor, two styles actually.

And yes, in addition to recoloring the palettes of all the backgrounds, the characters, bosses, portraits, enemies have been recolored as well.

If you prefer the original choices, these patches are not meant for you.

Chicken Knife

I'm not sure if darkening the monitor is something typical players would go for. I can think of a few projects for GBA games that did really just set out to darken the palette, and the community seems to value them.

But that's really neither here nor there. It's your project and you shouldn't be burdened with catering to everyone. I'll say this: even though your approach is something I have to get my head around, I like what I'm seeing enough to make that effort. While some recolor projects strike me as rather arbitrary in their design choices, you seem to have a genuine eye for it.

Pethronos

The way that Konami used clear palettes to offset the gba characteristics was way better than the color saturation used in many SNES ports. Even Soma's outfit (along with his impressive animation) had the task of highlighting him, in a similar way to Alucard's fluid animations and shadow made him stand out. It was genious at the time.

I don't think that simply darkening the original palettes would work.

However, independently of a few questionable changes to the enemies, these recolor hacks are unbelievably good chances to enjoy a great game again, with SO different atmospheres.

For some reason maybe I prefer the original recolor, since when I play the SOTN styled one, I somehow miss playing as Alucard and hearing SOTN's OST (some original tracks don't fit so well now)... It was first made for Serenade under the Moon, in fact... ;D

JonataGuitar

Well, I really don't mind that recolor didn't please everyone, I understand that there are all kinds of tastes, all I did was use the palettes I made for Serenade Under the Moon and put them in Aria of Sorrow , if I had more knowledge in editing roms, I would try to do something really different, but since I only know how to mess with color palettes, it doesn't hurt to play around with different combinations.
My harmony of dissonance recolor project with sorrow is still going on, as soon as we finish everything we will be able to deliver it to you

Pethronos

No doubt it'll be worth the wait. Are you using some existing hacks like "Aesthetic animation" or "no glo", or planning some kind or compatibility with them? ;D

sorrow

No it will not use any of the current HoD hacks.

Currently we have removed the blue/red outline around Juste/Maxim, which doesn't matter because locusbelmont will be providing new sprites for Juste, Maxim, and Lydie anyways.

I will also make a version to be implemented in my Findesiecle+ hack, but not until the main HoD overhaul is finished.

Pethronos

Wow... that sounds waaaaay better then... I'not a huge fan of HoD in comparison to AoS, but you both definately know how to do the hype ;D

N.Dpendent

There are some flickering colors in both versions of the recolor, the entire sky is changing colors, not just the moon. I fixed it myself, but maybe there are more to find.

sorrow

Quote from: N.Dpendent on February 10, 2022, 06:58:42 AM
There are some flickering colors in both versions of the recolor, the entire sky is changing colors, not just the moon. I fixed it myself, but maybe there are more to find.

Oh yeah?  I thought we had caught all of those, but I mean, there are a lot lol.

Do you mind sending a patch our way so we can compare and implement the fixes on an update?

Solid One

Good to see those palette changes. They seem interesting, considering the original ones are way too bright due to the GBA screen lightness differences.

Talking about this patch, did someone test if it works on the European version? There are some translations based on the EU rom, instead of the US one, due to it having almost all the characters we need, and having the text from other languages as well. An example is our PT-BR translation, and I'd like to test it together with this translation, if possible.

Pethronos

Quote from: sorrow on February 10, 2022, 11:15:07 AM
Oh yeah?  I thought we had caught all of those, but I mean, there are a lot lol.

Do you mind sending a patch our way so we can compare and implement the fixes on an update?

Hey! Some news about an update to fix that flickering issues?

sorrow

Hi there Solid One:

Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Europe rom as all the data is arranged differently, palettes included.

Petronius:

I asked N.Dpendent here and I also tried sending them a direct message so I could investigate the issues and update the patch, but they never responded.

So no update at this time.