News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

Super Mario RPG: Relocalized (MAJOR UPDATE)

Started by CoolCatBomberMan, May 22, 2021, 03:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolCatBomberMan

Unfortunately, this project has been cancelled. Before, I simply disliked SMRPG's translation, but now I've grown to dislike the game as a whole. If anyone was hoping to see a retranslation of SMRPG, I'm afraid you won't find any luck here.

Remember that SMRPG hack that recently came out? The one that tried to "fix" the text? Well, it made like a Pokémon and evolved into this project. So far, I've made a preview vid covering the Bowser fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgEUEq8_jc

This topic will serve not only as a progress report from time to time, but also as a host for polls regarding the project. For example, how should I tackle JP pop culture references? I'm not really that busy, so go ahead and give me your opinions on such matters.

Also worth noting is that I'm slightly burnt out from SMRPG, so progress will likely slow down considerably. I won't give up entirely, though. This is too personal for me to just quit.

EDIT: Something broke. I don't know how, but Lazy Shell somehow garbled up a huge chunk of text. Still not giving up, but I have to restart from square one, since the only backup I made was of the original ROM. It'll be a while before I start, though. In the meantime, however, I WILL put out a patch that relocalizes characters, items, locations, etc., since I can do that quickly enough, unlike the actual dialogue itself. So.......yeah. Big oof.

Progress Report
Dialogue
Bowser's Keep - COMPLETED
Mushroom Way - COMPLETED
Mushroom Kingdom - IN PROGRESS

Name Changes       (NOTE: Will not be present in "Purist" Edition)
Characters
Toadstool - Peach
Geno - Xeno

Locations
Mushroom Way - Mushroad
Mushroom Kingdom - Mushroom Castle
Kero Sewers - UNDECIDED    (I like the name "Croakstool Canal," but it might be too long)
Midas River - Wine River
Tadpole Pond - Ribbit Lake
Rose Way - Croase       (Get it? Croak + Rose?)
Moleville - Ducati
Yo'ster Isle - Yoshi's Isle

MaruMaru

Are you sure you can handle this kind of project? When someone gave a bad review for your hack, you asked the Newcomer's Board how to have the hack removed. Then you made this thread, opting to rebrand the hack, but now suddenly, what progress you made was undone by some kind of bug? And now, the submission queue shows a non-compliant flag for your hack, submitted by yourself, which just so happens to be one of the suggestions you got on the Newcomer's Board.

There's no shame in admitting you're biting off more than you can chew, you know. But claiming you're working on it while actively trying to erase it entirely just tells me that you're secretly giving up the project and leaving any interested people hanging. Not cool, man.

MysticLord

Quote from: MaruMaru on May 26, 2021, 04:02:40 PM
Are you sure you can handle this kind of project? When someone gave a bad review for your hack, you asked the Newcomer's Board how to have the hack removed. Then you made this thread, opting to rebrand the hack, but now suddenly, what progress you made was undone by some kind of bug? And now, the submission queue shows a non-compliant flag for your hack, submitted by yourself, which just so happens to be one of the suggestions you got on the Newcomer's Board.

There's no shame in admitting you're biting off more than you can chew, you know. But claiming you're working on it while actively trying to erase it entirely just tells me that you're secretly giving up the project and leaving any interested people hanging. Not cool, man.
While I understand that it's a bad idea to give in to bullying as it encourages more of the same, bullying someone who does give in is rather hypocritical, no?

Polinym

Quote from: CoolCatBomberMan on May 22, 2021, 03:14:17 AM
EDIT: Something broke. I don't know how, but Lazy Shell somehow garbled up a huge chunk of text. Still not giving up, but I have to restart from square one, since the only backup I made was of the original ROM. It'll be a while before I start, though. In the meantime, however, I WILL put out a patch that relocalizes characters, items, locations, etc., since I can do that quickly enough, unlike the actual dialogue itself. So.......yeah. Big oof.
Can't you just patch a clean ROM with the latest release of your hack, and use that with LazyShell?
"Where are you going, soldier? Get back to the battle!" - Some Battlefront Clone
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJqSB4xw29TTKlia5E0NYtQ

Viewer

Quote from: MysticLord on May 26, 2021, 08:21:33 PM
While I understand that it's a bad idea to give in to bullying as it encourages more of the same, bullying someone who does give in is rather hypocritical, no?

I wouldn't call what MaruMaru said bullying - just constructive criticism.

MaruMaru

Quote from: Polinym on May 26, 2021, 08:58:41 PM
Can't you just patch a clean ROM with the latest release of your hack, and use that with LazyShell?

After reading the news thread for CoolCat's hack, plus what's written here, I think the idea was to start over from scratch. He mentioned that Boomer's "death scene" wasn't actually censored by Woolsey, just poorly phrased, ruining Boomer's overdramatic attitude. Yaridovich was given a (pretty hammy) Russian accent to more greatly contrast with his Town Elder disguise, and Final Fantasy references were "added for flavor."

Panzer88

Quote from: CoolCatBomberMan on May 22, 2021, 03:14:17 AM
Remember that SMRPG hack that recently came out? The one that tried to "fix" the text? Well, it made like a Pokémon and evolved into this project. So far, I've made a preview vid covering the Bowser fight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fgEUEq8_jc

this video link is not working
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Jorpho

Supper Mario Broth tweeted this thing recently about the use of "I'm walkin' here!" in Paper Mario: The Origami King and it seems very much in line with the sort of thing they would have done in SMRPG.
https://twitter.com/mariobrothblog/status/1399810082477686787
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

CoolCatBomberMan

Quote from: Panzer88 on July 13, 2021, 01:24:27 PM
this video link is not working
That's because a huge chunk of text (mostly in the Mushroom Castle area) mysteriously turned into garbled gibberish. I put the project on hiatus, and set the vid to private.

Lusofonia

Oh I'm sorry dude, I hope you manage to recover everything. I know the feeling, and I wish you to have good luck until then
I am a pancake, you should be a pancake too

CoolCatBomberMan

Sorry to necro this thread, but I wanted to make it known that I will no longer be attempting this project. Every time I start making progress, a large amount of text suddenly becomes garbled/corrupted. I know the reason why: I'm editing the text with the Lazy Shell editor, rather than with tables and hex editors. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of trying over and over again, just to have to start over, because even when I make frequent backups, the mass text corruption happens early on, making any further changes meaningless. On top of that, hours of playtesting and redoing specific areas have severely soured my opinion towards SMRPG as a whole. The game is ruined for me, and I feel the need to take a break from RPGs in general.

Sorry if anyone was looking forward to this.

julayla

J^P

Thats because the so-called lazy shell improvement version sucks ass, the dialogue editor to be specif. If you import text dump and then save the rom, reload and export the same (unedited) text dump and compare the original to what should be identical, you quickly notice that it corrupts random areas, now if you go and manually fix them and save, reload rom, it corrupts the whole thing with random garbage, even if there is plenty of free space. Its really bizarre and annoying.

So "LAZYSHELL_3.19.0_UPDATED_EDITION_v1.3.1" is bad for dialogue editing, but "LazyShell.v4.0.1b" works and does not corrupt the dialogue, but that is older version and has its own issues and bugs, sometimes it gives errors and refuses to save(luckily in those cases you can just export), sometimes it runs out of memory even when I have 20gb free ram... I also had to learn that the hard way, but luckily I did my thing outside of lazy shell so I didn't lose much progress, but it still is huge hassle, especially with the space restrictions, or having to guess when to insert line breaks or trying to center text.

But the real lesson is to always make backups and use import/export function instead.

MysticLord

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the source code for SMRPG exist, albeit obviously not on this site? How hard would it be to make your changes there, rebuild it, and release a patch between that and the original game?

CoolCatBomberMan

Quote from: MysticLord on March 27, 2022, 07:24:57 AM
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the source code for SMRPG exist, albeit obviously not on this site? How hard would it be to make your changes there, rebuild it, and release a patch between that and the original game?

That would require torrenting the source code, and I don't do torrents. Too risky. Besides, learning that the source code is indeed out there somewhere has only worsened my mood. If it's as easy as you make it out to be, then why not make your own retranslation?

MysticLord

Quote from: CoolCatBomberMan on March 27, 2022, 01:16:11 PM
That would require torrenting the source code, and I don't do torrents. Too risky.

Quote from: CoolCatBomberMan on March 27, 2022, 01:16:11 PMBesides, learning that the source code is indeed out there somewhere has only worsened my mood. If it's as easy as you make it out to be, then why not make your own retranslation?
Because the source code is almost certainly assembly language. It would take less effort to make my own game in a high level language - and learn how make sprites, tilesets, music, sound effects, story, theme, characters, dialog, and lore.

J^P

Quote from: MysticLord on March 27, 2022, 07:24:57 AM
I wasn't aware that it exists, before seeing your post, but to me being able to import/export all dialogue and other text/stuff in readable and easily editable format is easier and better, and lazy shell simulates how dialogue looks in-game, so its much more convenient than trying to guess if text is centered or if I put line break in right place along with some other neat features. I did now take a look of the disassembly and its neat, but LS is still little more convenient to me, and at this point its waste of time to switch over when Im just about done with my translation on which I have spent so much time and effort on.

ifightdragons

Shouldn't the thread be locked if the project is cancelled?