News:

11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Main Menu

[Solved] Pac-Man 2 (SNES) help needed

Started by Nokia3310, January 22, 2022, 12:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nokia3310

I'm intending to make two patches for the arcade versions of Pac-Man and Pac-Man 2 that are included in this. So far, I've made little progress on making that happen but I have made some progress in repurposing the menu, like this hack for Genesis. That wasn't my intention at all but I've learned to repoint text, realign it and mess around with other things I've found in the process. That's useful if people want both games in one rom with this menu...

Original menu:

Modified menu:

Original opening screen:

Modified opening screen:

Personally, I would like to make a very different looking, slicker menu that utilises the logos for the two games or the Pac-Man font (these graphics are in the game) but that's outside of my repertoire.

More to the point, I found this...

0000A150  A2 42 A3 BF A3 66 A4 E2 20 A9 80 8D 2E 01 8F 00

Changing 66 to 55 makes GAME START and PASSWORD on the main menu load a Time Trial menu but what that part is really doing is jumping to this ('jumping' might not be the right word but I'll call it that for now)...

00000A460  20 01 9C 22 01 60 20 47 AA 22 05 93 81 90 46 AD

Again, this is affecting what both PASSWORD and GAME START do and is jumping to this...

0000AA40  60 4F 00 8F 00 FF FF 60 AD 22 01 0A AA 7C 50 AA

Changing AD to AE makes GAME START load the tutorial instead but I'm thinking that this is really jumping to this...

0000AD60  60 CE C0 00 30 1A 22 00 80 82 22 00 80 84 22 D7

That last line is more stuff that affects what pressing GAME START loads. I haven't found what makes PASSOWRD load anything else after what I previously mentioned. I really want to find entrance ID's for loading up things like opening screen, opening animations, menu, password screen, Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man games and the Pac-Man 2 demos (that it skips to after non-activity on the menu). All of these would be useful to find and flip around to load/not load these things in different ways.

Am I right in thinking that these entrance IDs might not exist and that these things are written to load in a different way? There doesn't appear to be any helpful cheat codes out there for finding these and I haven't been able to use anything in this disassembly

Note: This game seems not to work with Mesen-S degugger (or at least not show where you're at when you break).

January 22, 2022, 04:22:11 PM - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)

UPDATE: Progress! (sort of). Changing the value at A0E9 from 0A to 12 loads straight to Pac-Man after the opening Namco screen. Changing the value to 00 loads straight to menu after the Namco screen (skipping the opening animation). I've also found where the values are to move stuff around on the Namco screen. But...

I'm pretty sure the I've just glitched an address it's jumping to after the Namco screen and the Pac-Man game returns to the main game menu when it ends. This is no good except for skipping the opening animation to my custom menu, but it is useful for that. It's the most useful discovery I've had so far for skipping anything... but I need to look into what it's actually skipping to a little further.

Note: Playing the arcade games using the passwords lets you play endless Pac-Man or Ms. Pac-Man. Finding the arcade cabinets in the Pac-Man 2 game to play them cuts back to the game level where the arcade cabinets are. What I've found plays Pac-Man under that condition, showing a password under the high scores (only it cuts to the menu as 'load the next thing' instead of a game level you're not playing)

SuperStarFox

Fantastic rom hacks my dude. Hey, can you do the Sega Genesis version of Pac-Man 2? There is an exclusive game called Pac-Jr and what it does is have new levels, items, and intermissions. The game also replaces Ms. Pac-Man.

Nokia3310

Quote from: SuperStarFox on February 11, 2022, 05:45:58 PM
Fantastic rom hacks my dude. Hey, can you do the Sega Genesis version of Pac-Man 2? There is an exclusive game called Pac-Jr and what it does is have new levels, items, and intermissions. The game also replaces Ms. Pac-Man.

I'm glad you're enjoying my SNES hacks. As for the Genesis versions, a hack exists already that makes those games easily accessible:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5640/