News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: I'm new to rom hacking. I need help!  (Read 881 times)

TheMemeStone

• View Profile
I'm new to rom hacking. I need help!
« on: January 24, 2022, 01:53:48 am »
Hey Ya'll I am very new to Rom hacking and I want to play Link to the Past Redux. But I have no idea on how to patch the rom. Every time I patch the rom it always screws up. If anyone could walk me through how to properly do this I would really appreciate it.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: I'm new to rom hacking. I need help!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 09:17:22 am »
The most common problem patching SNES games:
http://www.romhacking.net/faq/?page=faq#question4
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

TheMemeStone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:22:58 pm »
Hey I appreciate the article! The issue is I'm super new to this. I have Lunar patcher and everything else I need. The issue I have is when it comes to LTTP Redux there are so many IPS files and I dont know what to do with them. All of them have two variations Header and Headerless, And I have no idea what that means. So if you could help me further and kind of steer me in the right direction of what should I do and what I shouldn't do and what certain things mean I would really appreciate it since I cant find ant real tutorials on the internet for how to install something like this!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 10:05:00 pm »
All of them have two variations Header and Headerless, And I have no idea what that means. So if you could help me further and kind of steer me in the right direction of what should I do and what I shouldn't do and what certain things mean I would really appreciate it since I cant find ant real tutorials on the internet for how to install something like this!
That is already explained in the link that was provided. If you do not understand what is written in the link, then there is no point in writing it again.

Is there something specific you do not understand?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TheMemeStone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 02:47:06 am »
I mean yes The game has multiple files of the same name just located in different folders. I dont know what to install and what not too. The read me doesn't help either

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 10:48:08 am »
Your ROM either has a header or it doesn't. Make a copy of your ROM and try patching it with one of the "Headerless" patches. If that doesn't work, then make another copy of your ROM and try patching it with one of the "Header" patches.

Alternatively, like is says in the link:
You can get TUSH to check the header status of your ROM and add or remove one if necessary.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

TheMemeStone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 11:55:58 am »
No it’s not about header or headerless the Zip file I downloaded as many different IPS files. Split up into many different folders. I am unsure what files to install because if install all of them the game doesn’t work and if I only install a certain few of them the game is glitched out. That’s why I am asking for help when it comes to LTTP redux because this is Rom hack I’m having issues with. If you could look into the files of LTTP Redux and inform on which to install NOT header or headerless. But actually what IPS files to patch then that would help me greatly.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 02:59:33 pm »
before you do anything you need to know if your rom is headered or not. Look at the filesize:
1,048,576 bytes is Headerless
1,049,088 bytes is Header

This does seem quite complicated, the readme needs updating.

Folder:
Redux New GFX - This has new menu graphics and reduced lag, USE THIS PATCH
bak/Redux New GFX - This has new menu graphics (old version)
bak/A Link to the Past Redux - This does not have new menu graphics (old version)
Optional - you don't need these, make sure to only use the New GFX patches with the Redux New GFX patch.

Make a copy of your original ROM, and just apply the Redux New GFX patch and play the game.
If you want to try the other optional patches go ahead but it will take trial and error to figure it out. Good luck.

TheMemeStone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 03:03:38 pm »
Hey! thanks man I was applying both patches for the graphics the new and the old! Thank you for you help the game is running perfectly now!!!!